Unable to access iSCSI shares from new server

Help!

Just had a major upgrade at the school that I support. New servers and Windows 10 rollout across the school. As part of this major changes to DHCP and subnet masks!

Basically after the changes I was unable to access device, On the DHCP server it showed up having a lease but pinging the address did nothing. Tried the short reset a couple of times but no luck. Decided to go for the full 40 second reset.

I can now access the dashboard via a web browser and everything seems fine. The shares are still there and seem to have data.

If try browsing to the shares on the network they are visible and if I look at the non iSCSI shares they have data but the iSCSI ones don’t.

I have run the iSCSI initiator app on one of the servers and it finds the targets on the My Cloud EX2. Great I thought :slight_smile:

If I connect to the target and open a session nothing :frowning:

Looking in Disk Management the device is there but showing as Uninitialised and unformatted.

Is there anyway that I can access the data?

Normal shares are fine can still access them and data still present! Just the iSCSI ones messed up :frowning:

I have tried contacting support by phone - keep getting “your call can not be connected at this time!”

Hello Stuart-R,

For better assistance regarding issue with ISCSI target you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Oh that’s very funny!

I did that as well and the official reply was to reformat the disk!

Idiots :drooling_face:

@Stuart-R,

Not a very helpful answer in the least :frowning:

I’ve not looked into the iSCSI configuration on the EX series, but if it uses a backing file to share out the iSCSI volume, it might be possible to try and copy the file to another Linux server and configure the iSCSI server software to serve the file out from there. You might get lucky and find that it can be opened in this way.

If not, do you have backups of the data available that you can go back to ?

The other thing you could try is ensuring the EX2 has a static IP Address (or DHCP reservation), and also the Windows servers that connect also have static IP Address (or DHCP reservations) as well, to ensure that there are fewer places for the iSCSI configuration to go haywire.

If this is the case, perhaps try tearing down the entire iSCSI configuration on the Windows server and then reapply it all. This could be enough for it to trigger a proper SCSI scan of the volume.

Has the EX2 been rebooted during this process along with the Windows servers ?

Cheers,

JediNite

Thanks.

They finally sent me this link My Cloud: iSCSI Target no Longer Seen

I am in the process of copying over the .img files now. Servers are on statics and I believe the NAS drive is now on a reservation. Problem is that originally NAS was on a static and all servers rebuilt and DHCP etc was changed to a much bigger address scope. This meant that we could not see the NAS drive (forget to change to DHCP before all the changes :roll_eyes: ) had to do the 5 second reset and eventually the 40 second reset.

These are none destructive (allegedly!) but have not been able to connect back to the targets - or should I say that we can but they say the are unformatted :eek:

The link at least does look useful and has a lot of the things in it I also suggested :slight_smile: Hope you are able to get your data back.

JediNite