Third time unit has become unresponsive .... any advice?

today i had to walk up to my My Cloud and unplug it from power because it became completely unresponsive … not sure why.

the LED was solid GREEN (I changed it from the default BLUE, to GREEN) when this happened.

before unplugging, checked my router - was functioning properly, tried accessing the dashboard and dashboard would not load up to the login page. Wireless network-wise, everything else was fine did not see any issues.

Can anyone advise, if need be I can ssh into the unit to access any log files which could indicate where the problem is … ?

Thanks in advance

Have you fixed the IP address of your MyCloud at your router?
Are you accessing via IP address, or name?

ip is set to static in dashboard and binding in the router (ie, no changes to this since i first setup the unit a few years ago).

i access dashboard via ip address.

the freeze occured while copying files, prompted on my computer that the connection to the drive was inturrupted and the drive was unmounted.

cannot remount it until a power off/power on.

wifi connection was constant and working for browsing, etc. regardless, i rebooted the router jic since its been online for little over 100 days.

Seems unlikely to be that, then. But I’d suggest doing one or the other; bind at MyCloud, or at router, but not both. I prefer to use the router to fix IP addresses on my local network, and leave all clients as DHCP (which then allocates the fixed, or infinite lease addresses I set at the router).

I’ve never seen Windows report a network drive ‘unmounted’. I do see it reporting that it can’t access network drives at boot, or leaving sleep (a common problem with Windows, even in a professional network environment); if the network drive mapping comes up before the network connection is re-established, Windows says it can’t see the network drives (and gives them a little red cross). They usually re-appear if you try to access them. Again, this doesn’t sound like your problem.

I wonder if intermittent WiFi access might cause trouble for the network mapping. Have you tried a wired connection?

not sure if intermittent wifi is the issue, did not notice a connection issue with wifi …

but what i referred to was on macos, not windows. i do not boot into windows often enough to see that happen.

been working fine for a while, but to make sure what the problem is, how do i get access to the event log, perhaps theres something in there that could indicate whether or not this is a nas issue or a macos issue (which is entirely possible considering how little apple cares for home network drives).

The logs are stored in /var/log.

thanks rac8006, i’ll take a look and see if i can spot something.

hopefully there will be info from before i pulled the power to the unit. if not then i am out of luck

there are actually a lot of items in the /var/log/ folder.

anyone know which ones in particular track the activities related to what i’m looking for, such as a restart caused by power interruption ?

i also want to do a full test of the drive, better to do that via the dashboard or ssh ?

You can cd to /var/log Then cat user.log or user.log.1 or grep Error * or grep Network *