The worst product ever made?

Hi all
I got a wd my cloud 4TB just two weeks ago. Since then nothing but problems. I have spent hours in this forum and other to find solutions but the device never works as it should.
I have transferred around 50 000 mp3 files and 6000 photos to the my cloud (500 GB total).
Scanning never stops and often ends with error. Yesterday I could see maybe 200 (out of 50k) songs in itunes shared on my computer, today none. I have tried rebooting, resetting, restoring. When something suddenly works, it’s painfully slow.
I have tried lots of the tips found here in the forum but the the device still is very shaky and I can’t get it to function fully.
I am really disappointed with the product and regret buying it.

From the Dashboard has the “Content Scan” completed?

Do you have “Media Server” selected to “ON” ?

Thanks for the reply.

The dashboard says “Content Scan - Scanning” for maybe 30 mins then it switches to “Error”. After that a new scan is initiated. Same all over again.

And yes, the media server is on.

SectorGZ wrote:

From the Dashboard has the “Content Scan” completed?

Do you have “Media Server” selected to “ON” ?

What firmware are you running … I assume it is the latest if you haven’t turned “Automatic Updates” off.

I think at this point I would do a “System Only Restore” and let the My Cloud do its thing. You can login to the Dashboard to view what is going on but I wouldn’t upload anything else until the Content scan completes … This will take awhile … maybe a day or so … no joke :cry:

I had a similiar issue and a “System Only Restore” fixed it, only my Content Scan just had a - (minus) sign after it and never would do anyhting else. WD Support recommended the “System Only Restore”.

Hi

I did a System Only Restore a couple of hours ago. The firmware is the latest and auto update is on…

I haven’t uploaded anything for days now.

Thanks for your help

SectorGZ wrote:

What firmware are you running … I assume it is the latest if you haven’t turned “Automatic Updates” off.

I think at this point I would do a “System Only Restore” and let the My Cloud do its thing. You can login to the Dashboard to view what is going on but I wouldn’t upload anything else until the Content scan completes … This will take awhile … maybe a day or so … no joke :cry:

I had a similiar issue and a “System Only Restore” fixed it, only my Content Scan just had a - (minus) sign after it and never would do anyhting else. WD Support recommended the “System Only Restore”.

All I have done is move my mp3 collection from an external hard drive to my wd my cloud + some pictures. I set the thing up by the book. It worked when i just had a copuple of test files but now no go. Ready to give this up.

Is there any way to get an error report?

langhorn wrote:

Is there any way to get an error report?

Yes – described in the manual.

Thanks!

I got a mail from the support department. They will contact me.

Itunes shared library doesn’t work either. I see a couple of more people have the same issue but no solution.

http://community.wd.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-board%3Amycloud&location=forum-board%3Amycloud&q=itunes+shared

I had similar problems but after trawling through the community, I followed the advice to switch off a lot of things (updates especially), then used rebvuild on media server.

Took quite a while to work and the machine needed to stay on overnight with the dashboard open opn a network connected computer.

As soon as I put another big load of files, it went back to showing no capacity but once I gave it time and rebuilt the database (because I also got the error message) it’s now back sweet and has stayed so. I now have the media server on and have streamed photos and video to my network enabled TV.

Now, when I add small amounts of files everything stays good.

I must admit I have been working with computers since 1982 and this experience reminded me of the old adage of “slow and careful”.

By the way, I was just thinking about the delay and it makes sense that there is a huge delay when putting a large amount of files on to the system.

When you put files on to Windows, I believe it only associates thumbnails with pictures when you access them - think about the delay this usually causes, then multipliy it by 50,000 and I believe the times are comparable - it’s just that we are not conscious of this delay with windows.

That’s my thoughts anyway and I am happy to be proven wrong.

Hi and thanks for your input.

I also have tried lots of tips given here in the forum. However none seem to work. I connected the wd my cloud directly to my Mac via ethernet and transferred all the files. This was a week ago. Since then WD has been connected and powered. Scanning always ends with error and after scanning has restarted the number of files goes from 0 up to around 50k in the scan, then “Error” again.

Today I managed to play one (1) song from work via the wd player. Then stop.

At home I can see the shared wd music library in itunes but it doesnt load when i click it. The only time it loads is when just a small part of the songs are indexed.

I just think this product is a big joke now, a media server that cannot handle music or photos. (haven’t even tried movies). :manfrustrated:

Thanks again, I’m still waiting to hear from the WD support as promised.

Neil_B wrote:

I had similar problems but after trawling through the community, I followed the advice to switch off a lot of things (updates especially), then used rebvuild on media server.

Took quite a while to work and the machine needed to stay on overnight with the dashboard open opn a network connected computer.

As soon as I put another big load of files, it went back to showing no capacity but once I gave it time and rebuilt the database (because I also got the error message) it’s now back sweet and has stayed so. I now have the media server on and have streamed photos and video to my network enabled TV.

Now, when I add small amounts of files everything stays good.

I must admit I have been working with computers since 1982 and this experience reminded me of the old adage of “slow and careful”.

Have you downloaded a diagnostics report and looked through the logs to find the error? 

Tony, I have downloaded a report but wouldn’t know how to diagnose it. I’m hoping a pro at WD will help me doing that.

Thanks

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Have you downloaded a diagnostics report and looked through the logs to find the error? 

Haha

This is really amusing now. The support contacted me and gave me some advice. The mail ended with

“Would the issue persist, then please send us the log files of the MyCloud drive so that we can further investigate the issue.”

I sent the system log but it bounced

it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain wdc.com by wdmail02.wdc.com. [129.253.55.42].

The error that the other server returned was:

552 size limit exceeded

Incredible

So I gave up and managed to get a refund. Thanks guys for trying to help.

Yes, I would say the wd my cloud is one piece of junk.

Off to get a Synology NAS now instead.

Bye!