Streaming between WD TV Live and My Cloud

I would like to know how I can stream my music between the WD TV Live and WD My Cloud over the network. Currently they are connected over shared folders, but I have no idea on how to use the Twonky or the DLNA etc.

First, if you haven’t done so already, it is advisable to read the My Cloud User Manual which explains how to use the My Cloud and its options/features. The user manual gives general directions on how to enable media sharing on the My Cloud so one can stream media to DLNA clients using the My Cloud’s embedded Twonky media server.

Next, what do you mean by “stream my music between the WD TV Live and WD My Cloud over the network”? It is not clear if you intend to connect the WD TV Live to the My Cloud and stream music from the WD TV Live device? There are a number of past discussions (if you haven’t seen them already) on using the WD TV Live device with the My Cloud: https://community.wd.com/search?q=wd%20tv%20live%20category%3A105

Generally to stream media from a DLNA media server one would use a DLNA network connected media client on another device (TV, computer, mobile device, audio playback device, etc.). One would, obviously, have to copy media to the My Cloud, enable media serving on the My Cloud, enable media serving for teh Share containing the media on the My Cloud. Then use the DLNA network connected client to find the My Cloud on the same local network to stream the media.

I have already enabled media sharing but I do not get is the part on how to connect to it from devices such as the WD TV Live or any other media player.

The 2nd part isn’t so important.

You do not connect the My Cloud to other devices, rather you use the other devices to connect to the My Cloud. In your case you would access the WD TV Live interface and connect to the My Cloud on the local network.

If one has a smartTV they would use the DLNA client app on the TV to access the My Cloud media server on the local network.

It helps to consult the user manual for the device you are trying to connect to the My Cloud as they typically will have information on how to connect to other network devices.

You need a DLNA client to access the DLNA server.

Or you need a device that can access the MyCloud file server. IIRC, the WD TV Live can access the file server. I know it also includes a DLNA client, certainly a DLNA media renderer; you can instruct a digital media server to stream media to it using a digital media controller. Read the user manual for the WD TV Live for details of how to connect to a media server or a file server.

DMC controls DMS.
DMS streams media to DMR.

DMC can be an app on a phone, tablet PC, smart TV or WD TV Live.

DMS is provided by Twonky.

DMR is provided by a DLNA client, in your case, provided by the WD TV Live.

As mentioned you have to connect the WDTV to the My Cloud, not the other way. Using the full manuals for both the WDTV and My Cloud, you need to enable the WDTV to detect (see) the My Cloud and on the My Cloud end make it detectable for the WDTV. This requires a basic understanding of home networking. AND both manuals.

Once detectable, you should see the My Cloud TWO ways from the WDTV.

There are TWO ways to connect the WDTV to the My Cloud. Go into Music from main menu of WDTV. You will see three ways to access content. One, is Local Drives. Ignore this and the next two you will see down the list are Media servers and the last is Network shares. Both will give access, but there is a big difference; the difference being is Media server access is DLNA – the music is played by the My cloud and “pushed” to the WDTV for playing. The Network shares is basically SMB ("aka samba) as done with Windows. In this case, the music file is “pulled” by the WDTV and it plays the file.

Network shares is my preferred way to play music using the WDTV, because DLNA is not always in track order, and Network shares is.

It is this simple unless what I wrote is Greek to you. In this case, see your manuals and google for difference between DLNA and SMB/Samba shares. If you have not ever set up a WIndows sharing network, you have to do that beforehand.

Okay with this convertation but…
Before the update on os5, I had os3 and the wdtvlive connection by the network shares with mycloud was just fine. Now with os5 I get en error that I have not access to this network shares
What can I do?

You may want to see the dedicated OS5 subforum for your device since this subforum deals with OS3.

One may need to adjust the SMB settings in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section to include SMB 1.0.

My Cloud OS 5: Change Windows Samba (SMB) Protocol Version

My Cloud OS 5: TV, Printers, Scanners, IP Camera and Media Players Cannot Connect

Thanks a lot for your answer. I saw that it was for OS3 but is very relevant with my problem, as my WDTV is very old and tired …
Any way in your answer I found the solution “One may need to adjust the SMB settings in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section to include SMB 1.0”. I Included it and voila!!!
Thanks, thanks