Still no mkv chapters handling in the 1.06.16

Indeed who needs these pesky mkvs? Please add even more languages like Latin, Swahili, Esperanto, Urdu, Volapük.

Huh?  

WD has supported MKV’s with Chapters since the boxes were first built.

I think what he meant is that the chapters are not fully supported for mkv unlike DVD for example. If you press the next or previous chapter button while playing a mkv, it simply won’t work (but it works for DVDs). If you don’t support that feature for mkv you can’t really say you support chapter IMO since about 95% of the people would only use the next/previous button for chapters.

Well, that’s probably a matter of opinion…   I would think 95% of people do what’s in the instructions.  :smileyvery-happy:

Really? Well a simple test for you then - watch a movie some time and skip to the next chapter with one button click on the remote.

And what button are you pressing to advance chapters.

Also post the mediainfo for a file that you see this is not working. Mediainfo download link- http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

what?

btw, there are no subtitiles shown if mkv is a blue-ray rip. This is a bug

flux242 wrote:

btw, there are no subtitiles shown if mkv is a blue-ray rip. This is a bug

These are PGS subs, I presume? 

bdpg. Are they also “supported” in the instruction? I presume

As you said above, “what?”  :)

flux242 wrote:

bdpg. Are they also “supported” in the instruction? I presume

Tony - according to The Free Dictionary dot com, bdpg means “Basic Dental Practice Group (Korea)”.

parnott100 wrote:

And what button are you pressing to advance chapters.

Also post the mediainfo for a file that you see this is not working. Mediainfo download link- http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Isn’t there only one next chapter button? The button with the label >>| is usually the standard button for next chapter on pretty much every single DVD and bluray player remotes (I say usually but I have to admit that in fact I have never seen a single DVD/bluray player where >>| doesn’t mean next chapter). If you press that button on the WDTV while watching a DVD it goes to the next chapter (as expected, pretty standard). If you press it while watching a mkv with chapters it doesn’t.

I am not going to bother posting the mediainfo because I know it has chapters (I can see the chapters through the menu on the WDTV).

Ok, hold up.

In MKVs and MP4s, chapters are accessed via the OPTIONS menu. Don’t know if you knew that or not.

Yeah, |<< and >>| would be more intuitive but the OP said they weren’t supported. They are, just not that way.

Also PGS subs are supported… in m2ts containers.

JEDI_33 wrote:

Isn’t there only one next chapter button? The button with the label >>| is usually the standard button for next chapter on pretty much every single DVD and bluray player remotes (I say usually but I have to admit that in fact I have never seen a single DVD/bluray player where >>| doesn’t mean next chapter). If you press that button on the WDTV while watching a DVD it goes to the next chapter (as expected, pretty standard). If you press it while watching a mkv with chapters it doesn’t.

There’s your problem.

Nothing, especially the manual, says that’s the “next chapter” button, and it had never been programmed to work that way in any WD device, including the Gen1.

There is no “next chapter” button, so it can’t be doing the “wrong thing” when you press it.

According to the manual (and the firmwares), that button is for the next media in the folder, which is exactly what it does.  It’s just “next” and advances through your media, as it was intended to.

When WD added support for DVD menuing, they had to usurp the button, since they couldn’t really add buttons to the remote through a FW update, and some DVD navigations require the “next” function.  And it also makes sense for a DVD player to interpret “next” as next program chain, since you tend to not be able to load multiple discs into a single tray, so there would be no next media to skip to.  And likewise, the WD firmware can’t get confused, because if you’re playing a DVD structure, there really isn’t a “next” media within the video_ts structure (even though there can be a next .iso container in the parent folder, if that’s how you’re accessing your media).

You’ve gotta be kidding right? No “next” button no chapter navigation! No legs no tv! What’s wrong with you ppl?

flux242 wrote:
You’ve gotta be kidding right?

What?  I never said that I didn’t want the “Next” button to respond to program chains, instead of just working with files… I even begged WD to add it to the Gen1 over 2 years ago, long before it was EOL, let alone subsequent WD devices.

But the fact is, nothing anywhere says that that button on the remote is “Next Chapter”, or that it was ever meant to be used to access chaptering.  It was only when DVD navigation got added that it started also taking on chaptering roles, beyond its “next media” role.

The manuals for all the devices have always said that if you press it, you will change media, and that chapters are accessed through the Options menu.  So, despite a wish for it to be used for something else because going into the options is a PITA, there’s no real reason to ever have expected it to be providing chapter access… that’s simply a RTFM issue.

It doesn’t matter what I personally “want”.  The fact remains that there is no “Next Chapter” direct-access button, and the “Next” button continues to behave as WD originally intended it to.

And, since buttons can’t be added to the remote, if WD were to ever listen to our entreaties and reprogram the use of the “Next” button, then there will be all the folks complaining that they can no longer jump to the next file.  And “only do it when the file has chapters” isn’t really an answer, because what if you want to jump to the next file from within a chaptered file?

The fact still remains that we get that you don’t like the current implementation.  You’ve said that right from the start.

The fact also remains, that starting more and more threads about you not liking it, isn’t likely to change anything.

Nominally, you should have posted (or voted for the existing ideas) in the Ideas section, instead of starting thread after thread telling us you don’t like Prev/Next being used for files.  Especially since this is user-to-user, and there’s essentially zero chance of anyone from WD in a position to consider changing things of ever seeing your repeated posts.

We know it doesn’t do it.  Until the release notes say they’ve added it, the next firmwares won’t do it either.  But, I’m sure we can look forward to your next threads telling us that it still hasn’t been added.

And truthfully, as handy as this would be, I’m in no rush to see it done.  Based on past experience, if WD starts tinkering with the core playback code to implement this, playback of _ ALL _ files will be broken in about 6 or 8 different ways, for about 2 years (or until support is dropped, whichever comes first).  After all, you’ve told others, who are still waiting for things broken over a year ago when DVD navigation was added, to not hold their breath on the introduced bugs being ever fixed.

Nominally, you should have posted nominally, you aren’t supposed to be telling me what I should do, are you? It is obvious that wd will never fix the chapter navigation. And it’s obvious that I’ll switch soon to a better solution. No more wd products sorry.