Support For Blu-Ray Menu Functions In ISO Files

When playing a Blu-Ray ISO file I am unable to skip through the chapters with the chapter button on the remote.  In fact, no menu functions seem to be supported at all.  When I play a Blu-Ray ISO file the movie just starts from the begining.

Does anyone know if WD has said if this will be addressed in future firmware updates?  In this day and age I think it is badly needed.

not likely to be added to this player, maybe future generations

I just bought it.  Are you saying they won’t support Blu-Ray?  Seems like a simple firmware fix.  Although so do the myriad of problems reports on this forum.  There shouldn’t be this many problems with a device like this.  I own a even cheaper one made by Zinwell which doesn’t have a fraction of the problems this thing exhibits.

Arnie wrote:

Seems like a simple firmware fix.

Really? You should read up on BD menu types (HDMV/BD-J) and BD licensing (Cinavia!) then. If you want to use chapter skip, remux the main movie to MKV.

It plays Blu-Ray ISO files flawlessly with the exception of menu functions and chapter surfing.  It even passes the DTS-MA flawlessly.

So what? As I hoped to point out to you, menus are a completely different matter due to the way they are coded and due to license restrictions.

@Arnie

I just bought it.  Are you saying they won’t support Blu-Ray? 

Although you just bought it, it is a two year old product today.  Anyway, menus for DVDs and Blu-ray discs are entirely different:  Blu-ray disc menus are Java-based, and WDTV is not Java-enabled.  If you look around these forums, you will find people who rip BD discs and play them on WDTV, by transcoding the BD ISO file to mkv file and they play fine, I am one of those people.  I can move through mkv chapters, but without menu feature.  I have converted many files this way and they work fine.

Arnie, you are new here and have posted quite a few messages since you joined this forum, yet in the great majority of them you slam the WDTV for this or that.  Request that you spend more effort learning about the WDTV and less effort slamming it every chance you get.  Good grief, relax!  You are quickly becoming high maintenance.

mike27oct wrote:

@Arnie

I just bought it.  Are you saying they won’t support Blu-Ray? 

Although you just bought it, it is a two year old product today.

Make that three (October '11).