MKV Chapter Support

Hi all,

I recently purchased the WD TV Live and am I now discover that the Chapter Support for MKV files appears to be limited to having to go through the Options Menu and then selecting the Chapter desired from the list in the sub menu (Chapter 1,2,3 etc).

This is far from ideal. Thje ‘Prev’ and ‘Next’ buttons on the remote cannot be used.

For me this is a major issue. Is any one else in agreement?

Am I missing something? Has there been a firmware release thar addresses this issue?

I can see that other users have been askign for WD to look at improving Chapter support for MKV back as far as 2010.

Appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks

1 Like

Saddlers, I’m in complete agreement.

I’ve no idea why you can’t just skip to the next chapter via the remote.  Going through options is unnecessarily clunky.

It’s particularly difficult with some music DVDs I have ripped - the compilations of an artist’s promos.  Some of these have a different ‘Title’ for each promo video - no problem there.  But others have 1 title, with each promo video being a new chapter within that title.  These are an absolute pain to navigate as things stand.

Steve W

Steve

I called WD up. They confirmed that the only Chapter support for MKV is the Options menue. Disappointing.

This issue was first raised on forums 2 years ago,

I have asked Support to escalate this as a feature request.

There must be a lot of other people who wants this.

You may want to give up on this idea. WD logic seems stuck in some world where they think people want to skip through a series of video files via the buttons that the electronics industry has trained us all to think of as chapter skipping buttons.

WD management should consider buying a DVD player or a Blu-Ray player or downloading any of the video playing software on the market onto their laptops. Then it will be revealed to them in an “ah-ha” moment how the world of videos operates.

MarthaMyDear wrote:

WD management should consider buying a DVD player or a Blu-Ray player or downloading any of the video playing software on the market onto their laptops. Then it will be revealed to them in an “ah-ha” moment how the world of videos operates.

Both of my LG Blu-ray players >>| and |<< buttons skip to next or previous TITLE, not next CHAPTER (there’s separate buttons for that.)  so perhaps they DID do what you propose. :wink:

Well, they don’t even have to look at BD players, just look at what their competition has done.   My old Seagate FAT+ does both, next chapter and next title with the same navigation configuration as the SMP/HUB.

My Philips DVD player also uses the >>| for chapters and next file. So if you have an mp4 with chapters you use this button to skip through.