SMBv1 vs SMBv2 on an OLD "WD1200B015-RNN"

I am trying to resuscitate a couple of old external drives on Win 10. Message tells me that drive is SMBv1 which is obsolete and I need to update the device to SMBv2. Questions: Is this a firmware upgrade? If so, will the WD firmware download on the WD website do the job on my old iron? If not, is there a solution, or do I own a couple of boat anchors?

Those external drives have no networking features (like MyClouds, My Book Lives etc), so SMBv1 or v2 does not apply to your WD1200B015-RNN.

Win 10 is most probably telling to you to enable/update to SMBv2 on your PC … if you wan’t to create ‘Shares’ on your PC or Hard drives for Network Sharing media.

Thank you Joey. I was attempting to use the drive as a shared drive on my router, which has a USB port for the purpose. Based on your reply I tried an experiment. I unplugged the WB and put a thumb drive into the router to eliminate the WD as a problem and, sure enough, the same error occurred. That means, I think, that the router needs to be updated before the drive port will work with Win 10. I’ll follow up on that tomorrow.

Thank you again for steering me in the right direction.