Slow Transfer

Hi there.

When i want to transfer files from my computer, to MyCloud, i do it normally by drag and drop. But the transfer speed is killing me. It only max. 3 mb/s.

It the same speed, if i use the USB 3,0 directly in the MyCloud.

Router: Netgear wndr3700

Can anyone help? :smiley:

I get that type of speeds when I enable Jumbo frames.  I turned that back off and make sure you on a gigabit connection and I’m up around 25/27 MB/s

Hi…

Thanks for your answer.

I just maked the change on my computer, but netgear dosent support Jumbo frames.

I increased my transfer speed for 2,5  to 5/6,0

Do you have more suggestions for faster transfer? Have you have an idea which router is the fastest?

did you verify if your router ethernet ports are gigabit?  make sure all points within your network are operating at gigabit speed. you can get 30 to 45 mbps with gigabit network.  otherwise it would be 5 to 10 mbps speeds average, which might go 15 mbps, if you are lucky.

Faster than that…  you should be able to get 30-50 megaBYTES per second (MBps).

Actually, you should get a lot more that that.  But this unit seems very slow on avarage.  The theoretical limit on Gigabit Ethernet is 1000mbps (b=bits) which at 8 bits per byte = 125MBs (B=bytes)  Higher end NASs should see in the 100MBs.  This is not higher end at this pricepoint.

1. I am on a full Gigabit network and have not been able to break more than a 50MBs avg.  That is pretty consistant with the poor performance Small Net Builder benchmarks have been documented at which ends up making this unit a #49 performer for NASPT FileCopy Write [51.71 MB/s] in thier benchmarks.  (#49 out of like 52 units in the 4 bay category)  This unit overall sits at #52 out of 52 because of these performance numbers across the board.  Check out thier review.  Its rather interesting.  For USB3 backup thier benchmark sits at #36 for USB3 - NTFS [16.59 MB/s], so if you have a USB3, you should at least be seeing 15MBs or so.

2. I also get a lot of “drop outs”.  (When transfering a file, you can watch the transfer graph sit at the average speed, and then 0’s or bottoms out for several seconds and then resumes.) No idea why, but it consistantly does it at regular intervals.  (ill break out the stopwatch one day when im bored to see the frequency pattern.)

Im curious if either one of these will be fixed in a leter firmware revision or if it is just a hardware limitation of this unit?

When using the WD file browsers in windows I was only able to get a few MB/s.  

If I access the stores in Win7 via my computer>network>EX4 i get much faster transfer speeds.

If the unit hasn’t disconnected itself or stuck in endless loops. ><

I don’t reccomend ever holding the power switch on the unit to do a reboot.  It sticks in an endless loop.

"

When using the WD file browsers in windows I was only able to get a few MB/s.  

If I access the stores in Win7 via my computer>network>EX4 i get much faster transfer speeds."

Interesting.  I never even thought about that; I only access my files via SMB or AFP never from that crazy web interface.  

Im curious if  either one of these will be fixed in a letter firmware revision  or if it is just a hardware limitation of this unit?

I to am most interested with this question.  If it’s a hardware limitation I might dump mine I’m running it in LACP w/ dual gigabit and LACP on my workstation and only seeing 30/50 MB/s and I find it pitiful.  

But seeing how slow the USB 3 is on this unit also surprised me could the software be that bad on all interfaces WOW!

I’ve seen equally under powered NAS devices w/ gigabit move near 100 MB/s w/o LACP & w/o SMB2 protocol  What’s the slow up here? 

If you have a moment to throw some comments into the Link Aggregation thread I started, and how you setup., I would appreciate it.

Im curious that you have enabled it and are seeing on 30/50MBs.  Is an Extenal Share to EX4 Share or SATA/source to EX4 share?

Right now im getting:

External Share to EX4 Share I am getting around 20MBs.

SATA Local to EX4 Share I am getting around 40/50MBs.

Hoping if I can enable LA, I might be able to get my 20 into the 30/50MBs I think is what you have and my 40/50MBs into at least the 80MBs.

If you are linked and still pegging 50MBs, and Im unlinked and getting 50MBs, definitly sounds like a hardware limitation.  (and thus not correctable by future firmware?)

If you are linked and still pegging 50MBs, and Im unlinked and getting 50MBs, definitly sounds like a hardware limitation.  (and thus not correctable by future firmware?)

I’m not so sure. I have seen other NAs devices easily reach 100 MB/s 

This unit also supports on paper LACP & SMB2 

I am running a Mac 10.9.1 and it’s well documented a bug in SMB2.  Currently i’m using AFPoverIP that might be some of my limitation.  I belive once the SMB2 bug is worked out of OSX and perhaps some future updates to the NAS unit I’ll dump AFP limitations and move to SMB2.  

When I test from Mac to Mac forcing SMB2 I move at full gigabit speeds 100 MB/s and over. 

Let me ask you this too.  When looking at your EX4s “Network Activity” graph, does it look like rollercoaster?  I get some fair speeds, but when coupled with the next to 0MBs drops, Im wondering what my real throughput is.

I also take it by your “waiting it out” statement, you do believe it to be a firmare issue for transfer and not a HW limitation? 

Does WD actually participate in this forum?  I see few responses / reactions to post other than “housekeeping” “Stop doing that” replies or KB links that dont help at all.  (case in point the “how to improve transfer speeds” that asks if you know if you are on a gigabit switch…  LOL

EX4Shot wrote:

Does WD actually participate in this forum?  I see few responses / reactions to post other than “housekeeping” “Stop doing that” replies or KB links that dont help at all.  (case in point the “how to improve transfer speeds” that asks if you know if you are on a gigabit switch…  LOL

This is a user to user forum.  WD does moderate and staff may post if they feel it necessary (usually only when a thread goes unanswered for a while, hence the KB link), but as a rule this forum is provided for users to help other users.

If you see any of us moderators post, just know that we are WD Staff as well. 

When are we going to see some relief on this with a firmware update?

Im still stymied why a gigabit device capable of transfer rates of 125MBs (100MBs real world),  gets an average of 20-40MBs.  20% or even giving it the benefit of that number 40% of bandwith is a “High Performance NAS”?  Other high performance gigabit NASs hits the 100MBs mark.  Even 70-80MBs would be nice, but that is asking for double what its doing now.

The WD tech that contacted my had link agregation setup on his and was marginally better than double what we are seeing (60-80MBs).  (and theoreticly he should have been in the 180MBs with LA. (and of course that requires an additonal $70-$100 switch)  Is WD going to buy me this switch?

I just dont get that this performance is acceptable.

(couple that with when your CPU starts getting maxed with processes you are not running, and it drops to the teens and eventually into single digits…)  Stymied.

And then a comment from a WD support rep asks me to enable LA and use Round Robin to improve performance.  It that going to make me hit 180MBs?  (not to mention Round Robin is typicly a load ballancing algorithm and not performance.  Im scared asking this device to trasmit via 2 seperate paths would loose even more data than I already have.  (not to mention, I would assume performance gains would be minimal even if I decided to use another port and that algorithm specic algorithm.)

Anyone using Round Robin and can report some better throughput? 

I’m having the slow transfer as well. Is not my network setup because my Synology NAS DS413 get 90 - 100 MBs write speed.

This is very anonying and I’m wondering if there is any solution yet?. I get just 15- 19MBs write speed in the Mycloud EX4. I already try disabling almost everything (dlna, media server, etc).

I’m using manual IP address, have gigabit speed and test with all the options in the 2 network menu (all fault redundant and performance) options. I notice zero gain.

This is very frustrating, I get with this NAS less speed compared with my usb2 USB Kingston memory stick. :dizzy_face: