Setting up WD MyCloud as local network drive

Hi.
As of 15 April, I can no longer access my MyCloud drive (1st model) on WD’s website.
I’m trying to used it instead as a local network drive, but I can’t find enough info to understand how it’s done.
I’m working on a PC, Windows 10.
Can anyone lend a hand, please?
Thanks

You shouldn’t need to do anything. The drive should show up under “computers” as a data drive in Windows network explorer and the dashboard should be accessible at the bottom of that page under MyCloud. Yo may need to go to Windows features in Win 10 to turn on SMB1.

1 Like

You use Windows File Explorer to access the My Cloud on your local network.

Make sure SMB1.0/CIFS is enable and make sure to set Network Profile to Private. Also note that some third party security/firewall software may block local network access so one may have to review those program settings to see if their My Cloud is being blocked.

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10 and 11
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155

One can “map” My Cloud Shares to make it easier to access.

How to Map a My Cloud or NAS Device on Windows
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9323

#WDUserRewards

1 Like

As a build to Bennor and sktn77a;

• from Windows File Explorer; you can type in \\“device IP address”, or "\\“device name” in the address bar; and the drive should appear just like an external drive

• If you type in //“device IP address”, or //“device name” in the address bar; windows should open up a browser window and display the drive dashboard.

1 Like

Combining all three answers, it worked.
Thanks for the help, @NAS_user, @Bennor and sktn77a

you rock \m/

Hi, I can see the drive in the Explorer, but I can only access the dashboard. How do I access the actual files? Thanks

Have you enabled SMB1.0 in Windows?

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10 and 11
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155

Have you set the Network Profile to Private?

Can you access the My Cloud by it’s IP address or name in Windows File Explorer? Windows File Explorer is not a web browser.
Example in Windows File Explorer:

\\192.168.1.10
or 
\\wdmycloud

Can you map a My Cloud Share?

How to Map a My Cloud or NAS Device on Windows

#WDUserRewards

Hi Bennor / hi all,

I’m a little bit late to the party, but I’m experiencing the same issue as ivooo:

• I have enabled SMB1.0 in Windows
  • I have set my Network Profile to Private
  • I see the My Cloud in the ‘network’ section in Windows File Explorer, but when I click it the browser dashboard is opened
  • I also see the My Cloud in the ‘This PC’ section, but when I click it it only shows the subfolders of the public share
  • When I try to map the My Cloud Share it returns the error “Windows cannot access \192…”

Is there something I’m missing? (I’m a bit of a novice in this)

Thanks in advance!

That is what is supposed to happen. You can copy files to and from that Public Share and create subfolders within that Public Share. You add more Shares using the My Cloud Dashboard > Shares tab.

Make sure to select the right My Cloud entry in Windows File Explorer to open the My Cloud to expose the Shares to map by right clicking on them and selecting “Map network drive”. For example select the red highlighted ones in the following Windows File Explorer screen capture:

Hi Bennor,

Thanks for the super quick response!

That is what I expected, but explorer does not allow me to drag and drop files in that folder (or create subfolders). Also, I’ve already created additional shares, but these do not show up. (see screenshot below.)

I only see the ‘Media devices’ and ‘storage’ (see below). Both of which open a browser dashboard. (And right clicking shows the context menu with the options ‘view device webpage’, ‘create shortcut’ and ‘properties’.) Thus, I do not see the device under the header ‘computer’ as outlined in your screenshot. Anything else I can try? I really need the documents :cry:

Try accessing the My Cloud by it’s IP address (ex: \\192.168.1.10) in the Windows File Explorer address bar. Example:

You can map the My Cloud Share using the My Cloud IP address rather than the My Cloud name.

Doublecheck that SMB1.0 is enabled (reboot the computer after enabling it).
SMB

Check any security or anti virus software that may be installed. It’s possible that software is blocking proper access to the My Cloud. Temporarily disable that software as a troubleshooting step and see if the issue persists.

Check(ed) :slight_smile:

Windows Features

I’ve looked up the IP address of the drive in my router table but upon entering the address in explorer I get an error…

I’ll check whether any security or anti virus software that may be the cause.

Right click on the My Cloud entry under Storage and select Properties. You should then get a dialog box that will include it’s IP address. (Example below) Or access the My Cloud Dashboard (if you can) and select Settings > Network and the IP address will be listed there in the Network Profile section.

Make sure the computer is connected directly to the network router/gateway the My Cloud is connected to. Avoid having the My Cloud or computer connected to the local network using a “mesh” node or a powerline, extender or similar adapter. Sometimes those adapters can interfere with the My Cloud or computer. If the computer is WiFi only then don’t have it connected to a Guest Network WiFi, have it connected the main LAN WiFi.

I have a Mesh network and my connection to the MyCloud server in the local network is quite intermittent.

One day it works normally, next day the MC drive is not visible at all, and next day I see it but i get the ‘Windows cannot access \WDMYCLOUDXXX’ error.

Very frustrating tbh.

For the error above, is there a way to force it? If it gave me an option to login it would be ok, but it just shows me that error and that’s it. Quite annoying.

I also noticed my SMB Client wasnt checked in… but i can connect to the drive occasionally, so this being off doesn’t seem to be an issue, considering i havent restarted my PC in weeks.

Depending on the My Cloud device (and likely firmware) one has one may have to enable the Windows SMB 1.0 client if one cannot access a My Cloud by it’s name but can access it by it’s IP address.

When in doubt double check you can access a My Cloud by it’s IP address.
It is typically recommended to either manually assign the My Cloud a IP address in the local router’s DHCP server (administration page) or set a static IP address for the My Cloud in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section.
Make sure the My Cloud is using the same workgroup name as other devices on the local network.

I can view the drive in Explorer, but I can only access the dashboard. How can I access the actual files?

Generally on a computer one uses Windows File Explorer (Windows) or using Mac Finder (Macintosh) to access their local network My Cloud device.

Depending on which My Cloud device, not My Cloud Home since that is an entirely different device, one has one may have to enable SMB1.0 on their Windows computer for the My Cloud to show up in the Windows local network.
How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10 | WD Support
More WD Support articles that may be relevant.
How to Map a WD Network Drive on Windows 11 and Windows 10
WD Network Attached Storage (NAS) Does Not Show as a Network Share on Windows
How to Change Windows Samba (SMB) Protocol Version on My Cloud OS 5
My Cloud OS 5: Not Detected in Windows 10 & 11 Network