MyCloud as a HDD in Windows 10

Hi all

I use MyCloud in the home network for several years already:

• It’s visible from any device for the media - OK
  • It also available like a shared Drive in Windows - simple, useful, OK
  • Also I can connect to MyCloud via mycloud.com from everywhere, which is also fine - OK

But is there a way to do next please?

I would like to have MyCloud like a shared Drive in Windows 10 even if I am not in my home network. So to have the most simpliest way to work with it. Is there a way to do it?

In the past I have tried to configure MyCloud Sync, but it’s not the target. I do not want to keep files on my laptop.

Thank you for your assistance.

For local network access to the My Cloud using Windows 10 one can simply use Windows File Explorer. One can map the Share for easier local network access.

How to map a My Cloud or NAS device on Windows

When using Windows 10 one should ensure SMB1.0 is enabled as Microsoft disables this option in new Windows 10 installs and via patch updates.

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10

When it comes to remote access, officially, the WD approved methods are limited to using MyCloud.com web portal, the My Cloud apps for iOS or Android, or insecure FTP. WD removed the ability to remote map a My Cloud Share years ago when they moved to using the OS3 firmware/MyCloud.com web portal. And WD ended support for the WD Desktop app on Windows/Mac over a year ago as well.

Unofficially, to do what you want will likely require setting up a VPN server on your local network where the My Cloud resides and create a VPN tunnel using a VPN client on the remote computer. Typically a VPN connection will allow one to access the remote My Cloud as if they were on the same local network as the My Cloud. If one is using a consumer router one should check the router options as some include VPN Server capability. Otherwise there are free and paid VPN Server programs that can be installed and setup on one’s local work. The downside to using VPN is the learning curve needed to set one up properly and configure one’s router for VPN access/port forwarding. The other issue with any remote access to the My Cloud is the broadband speed at both ends of the connection.

Also note that WD Sync has been set to end of life and WD recommends using GoodSync going forward. WD has marked a number of their software and app programs as end of life.

WD Product Software Support Status

WD Sync End of Support
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29023/

Thank you for your answer

I will try suggested workaround with VPN in few days. Hope it will work fine.

I am not 100% sure, but you can find this information from your Cloud providers, at least I know that you can do that.
Or you can google that. I had a similar problem, I wasn’t sure if my info that I have on the cloud storage was secure, so I googled it and found an article about Snowflake Row level security, so you can do the same. That’s just my opinion. Hope you will find my message useful. If you have more questions, feel free to text me, I will try to help. By the way why you want to do that?