Safepoint creation crashes WD MyCloud

Hi,

Since it doesn’t seem that partial backups will be coming to the MyCloud device anytime soon, I went ahead and bought a 3TB WD Essential USB3 drive to back up the MyCloud device; at least that was the plan. I formatted the external drive as HFS+J on the Mac and plugged it into the back of the MyCloud server. I then created a safepoint and set it to update automatically once a week Sundays at midnight. I opted to started the copying process right away and saw the progress indicator appear.

I then navigated away from the MyCloud web interface and came back a few minutes later to check the status; I wanted to get an idea about the copying speed. The safepoint tab was no longer showing the progress bar, but rather the spinning wheel trying to locate existing safepoints; it never stopped spinning, though. At this point, the attached USB drive was no longer visible under attached devices either and I couldn’t access any of the MyCloud shares on my computer.

Trying to reboot the server from the web interface did not work either. After force rebooting the server and starting another safepoint backup, I attempted to access a share from the desktop, and yet again wasn’t able to connect to the server while the backup was in progress. I logged into the web interface and once again couldn’t see the attached USB drive anymore. Sure enough, the safepoint tab was as described above, no indication of an ongoing backup.

To me, it appears that any interaction with the server while the backup process is underway crashes the server. I would love to hear from people who were able to successfully use the safepoint feature under the current firmware (2/23/2015). It’s a realy danger not being able to backup the content of the drive at least locally, let alone to a cloud / off-site location; I hope this will be added in the near future.

Thanks,

Carsten

Hi there, on this case i recommend contacting Support for further assistance on this matter:

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en%22

This is really strange i have only tried to do safepoints via network so i have not tried this. Perhaps another user can help you out with some tips and information.

langrock wrote:

Hi,

To me, it appears that any interaction with the server while the backup process is underway crashes the server. I would love to hear from people who were able to successfully use the safepoint feature under the current firmware (2/23/2015). It’s a realy danger not being able to backup the content of the drive at least locally, let alone to a cloud / off-site location; I hope this will be added in the near future.

Thanks,

Carsten

I’m not certain my experience will help you since I’m pretty new to MC. I set up a new WD MC and tested and confidured Windows, Ubuntu, iPhone, Mac. After I had perdormed all testing and backups I hooked up a new My Book Studio and configured safepoints for automatic updates at 1 am. I then went to bed and the next morning the safepoint was successfully created; subsequent safepoints have been successful, albeit taking way too long according to this message from Dashboard:Your safepoint was updated successfully. (5)

Your safepoint MC on the My_Book_Studio share on xxxxxxxxxx was updated successfully.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:04:30 AM

I need to look into the length of time from scheduled 1 am to completion 4:04 since I think 3 hours is excessive for content= .3 TB (roughly the dashboard reports 2.7 TB free on a 3 TB MC).

mine crashed once - i restarted the My cloud and moved the backup device onto my laptop and ran backup successfully. What is your setup? Are you plugging straight into the My Cloud? Also are you using the my cloud at the same time or have anything to make it run whilst backing up?

Hi PJPfeiffer

Are you sure that your safepoint starts at the correct time as when I have set automatic updates the update actually starts 5 hours later than the set time. this is due to my WDMyCloud  being set to GMT timezone and the WDMyCloud os which seems to ignore the timezone setting and operates on US time.

to check set an update for 1 hrs time and check if it actually starts.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Tel911

My Cloud, computer and firewall are have the exact same time. Local time is ET which is 5 hrs displaced from GMT.

If I don’t get a satisfactory answer from tech support about this and where event codes are defined I’ll take some time and do a manual update so I can time it.