Removing Hard Drive

Hi there,

Having had no end of problems connecting to my 4tb WD MyCloud since upgrading to El Capitan, I’m getting nervous about the data I have on there as it is not backed up. I’d like to pull it all onto my MacBook Pro and am having no success. I have a USB HD caddy and am thinking about opening the drive up and putting the HD in the caddy. I’m doing this on the assumption that once I connect it to my mac via USB, I’ll be able to see all the data on there and pull it across. Am I right with my thinking?

Hi, if I remember correctly the My Cloud has a partition table which is EXT 4, I believe that Mac’s are able to read this partition table but I would recommend you to check before opening the enclosure. Also by opening the drive’s enclosure, you may be voiding the warranty.

What kind of issues are you having with the My Cloud?

Having had no end of problems connecting to my 4tb WD MyCloud since upgrading to El Capitan

Have you updated to 10.11.1?

Pulling the MyCloud apart is almost certainly a warranty violation…

An alternative approach may be to connect a USB drive to the port, then access via SSH (using a device other than your Mac, perhaps?), and copying the user shares to the mounted USB drive. You’d need to have a modicum of Linux experience to find the mounted USB drive, and know where the user shares are (actually, they’re just under ‘/shares’; pretty simple, really…). The point of this method is that everything is done by the MyCloud, and doesn’t use the Mac.

Thanks All.

The plot thickens! I’ve updated my OSX and connection is more stable but still can’t touch the 2 folders of photos I’m trying to get at. Decided to SSH in and try my hand at a bit of Linux. Wanted to compress a file to move it more easily but it timed out saying no more space.

My set up is as follows:
WD MyCloud connected to router via ethernet.
Router is latest Virgin Media router with 5k channel so I get 106mbps wifi connection.
I have tried connecting drive direct to my MacBook Pro and it mounted but still could not move the file
I upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday and the connection is better but still can’t touch the file.

Following a forum thread I did the following command and got the following results:

WDMyCloud:~# cd / && du -x -d 1
4 ./CacheVolume
44 ./nfs
146812 ./var
4 ./DataVolume
14352 ./etc
28188 ./lib
4 ./opt
4 ./selinux
8 ./system
4 ./home
0 ./sys
4 ./mnt
4 ./media
8 ./srv
0 ./run
16 ./lost+found
0 ./proc
417852 ./usr
6616 ./bin
9460 ./sbin
0 ./tmp
3732 ./boot
0 ./dev
1305376 ./root
1932496 .

And I did this

WDMyCloud:/# cd /root && ls -all
total 1305368
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Oct 30 01:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Oct 29 09:36 …
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Oct 30 01:41 .aptitude
-rw------- 1 root root 3065 Oct 29 17:35 .bash_history
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 465 Oct 13 11:17 .bashrc
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 140 Nov 19 2007 .profile
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1335361536 Oct 29 17:18 prog-1-jan-2005.tar.gz

None of this means much to me but I see some big numbers there and wonder if this has been part of the problem all along?

Any help you can will be greatly appreciated. Could do with some ‘■■■■■ guide’ style instructions for deleting things as I really don’t want to screw things up. Have no back up of this data.

Many thanks,

Why are you looking in /root? That’s part of the operating system of the MyCloud, and you shouldn’t really be fiddling with it.

Your user data will be found under /DataVolume/shares, or just /shares (there’s a defined shortcut)

I wonder what that prog-1-jan-2005.tar.gz is. Do you have any non-standard software installed on your device? Something that downloads TV programmes…? Because that’s what I suspect that prog-1 thing is (1.3GB is about right for a TV programme). And it’s filling up your /root drive, and probably causing the system to have problems.

If you are using some sort of torrent downloader, you may have configured it incorrectly, and it thinks it’s on a desktop Linux machine, where all partitions are the full disk space, so it doesn’t matter where it puts data. Not so on the MyCloud: you need to get torrents put into the user space (somewhere in /shares).

If you want to remove it, do this:

cd /root
rm prog-1-jan-2005.tar.gz

I can’t check my devices at the moment, but I don’t think that prog… should be there.

I ended up looking at root because I got the ‘no space left on device’ message and forums lead me to check root. That tar is my attempt to compress the folder in questions. Have I done something wrong then? Presumably it is trying to compress it and stick it in root? I want it to either compress and stick it in the same directory or better still compress and send it on over to my Mac - thought it best to do 1 thing at t a time though. Here is what I did anyway:
tar -zcvf prog-1-jan-2005.tar.gz /shares/Public/Shared\ Pictures/Aperture\ referenced\ files/

Show me the error of my ways!