Remote access issues

from Starbucks…logged on their wifi
not able to access network with my MacBook Air…
messagereceived:
mycloudex2ultra.local’s server IP address could not be found.

however
with iPhone and iPad (cell data off; on wifi)
I am able to access my files

would like to use my my MacBook Air offsite to access my network (admin) as well as my files (using Finder)

so, when I get back home, what settings on my MyCloudEX2 do I need to tweak?

really appreciating any help…I am not a network expert by any stretch of the imagination

thanks

Hi bdemarco,

“mycloudex2ultra.local” is used to access dashboard of My Cloud EX2 Ultra device on local network. And it allows you to access dashboard of My Cloud device on same network on which My Cloud is connected.

While iPhone and iPad uses My Cloud Mobile App to access My Cloud data on remote network. I would suggest to try to access dashboard on local network on which My Cloud is connected.

No problem doing what I want (access dashboard or MyCloud) when on my local network. Issue is accessing dashboard and network drive from remote location.

On a call to tech support, they said I had to adjust “port forwarding” on my router, but refused to instruct me how to do that - basically said I had to figure it out myself. As a network newbie, I a currently researching this to no avail.

I can also access my MyCloudEX2ultra remotely using my android phone, but can’t seem to find the secret to accessing it using my Windows 10 laptop. Some documentation seems to be out of date.
From the //mycloud dashboard, I select the Cloud button, it says I’m connected and port forwarding is set up. I selec “admin” and an email is set up. Below is shown a phone icon that is already set up. When I send an email to get an activation code it never arrives. I can’t find an app in the Microsoft store for remote access. I went to mycloud.com and created yet another account and it couldn’t detect my drive. I even renamed the drive back to “mycloudex2ultra” but still couldn’t detect it Why is this so hard? I really need remote access to work.

Accessing your NAS from outside your network would require you to have either some form of static IP set up for your home network, or a DDNS service like NO-IP set up on either your router and NAS unit. You would also need to setup some basic port forwarding on your router, to direct a custom port like 8085 from outside your router to port 80 on the NAS. Port forwarding options differ quite a bit between different router models, so it is difficult to guide “newbies” over the phone. However, since WD uses NO-IP for DDNS, you could try to follow their basic guide and adapt the steps to the model of your router:

How to Port Forward - General Guide to Multiple Router Brands | Support | No-IP Knowledge Base

Remote access via the WD apps work over mobile devices because they have some form of VPN to direct traffic from your phone to the NAS and vice-versa. I have not touched WD software for awhile, so I don’t know if they’ve gotten around in making a Windows or Mac app that works in the same way.

Thanks for the info. Its odd that an android app works out of the box but windows remote access is difficult.

I got a noip.com account and set up my hostname. Installed the Dynamic DNS Update Client on my laptop to keep my IP address updated. If seems this setup won’t work if the laptop is off or if I travel (instructions aren’t clear on this). So I went to my router, enabled DDNS, filled in the form, but the dropdown list for service provider offered “default@no-ip.com”. Did I miss something?

I also set up port forwarding (the andoid setting is already there so I used a 4-digit port forwarded to 80 TCP and local IP for MyCloudEX2ultra). Will using OpenDNS’s servers conflict with any of this?

When I plugged the hostname and port into my browser I ended up at the login to my NAS drive - same as the dashboard I get locally using http://mycloud.local/ How do I access the files.

In all this messing around I have acquired something new In http://mycloud/ (renamed MyCloudEx2Ultra) dashboard under “Cloud access” then selecting “admin” it now says “Trying to establish a remote access connection…” Under “Cloud devices for admin” there is a phone connection for WD My Cloud (connected) and a “New unregistered device” displaying a code and expiry time TODAY. It looks like I got close to making this work remotely…

hoooboy. . . you are in deep now.

It took me a few days to get this all figured out.
(do a search on older posts I put out there).

At the end. . . after getting a domain name for my home router,
after doing port forwarding so I could access the NAS box,
after figuring out what “open VPN”, and why it is important to use it. . .

. . . I started thinking about all the CyberSecurity implications and promptly turned everything off.

I am back to travelling with a 4TB HD with all my movies and music, and a 128GB USB key for personal files.

2 Likes