Public folder query

Is the Public Folder in my “My Clould Home” visable to others online? I want to store folders and backups that are not visible by other computers in addition to folders visible to all computers and cell-phones that have access to my or are on my network.

Can I add a non-public folder and if so how. I have been trying to set a new My Cloud Home for two days and am getting discouraged. I have read everything I can find on the website about it.

The //My Cloud Home-XXXXXX/Public folder is not accessible by Mycloud.com, WD Discovery Desktop App nor the mobile app. However, it IS a Samba/Finder Public share available to anyone that has access to the local LAN.

No you cannot create a non public folder.

Thanks very much. I want it seen by my LAN butt not the WAN.

Re: Public folder, after looking at another KB article elsewhere it showed an image of Windows Explorer displaying both the Public and TimeMachineBackup folders under the My Cloud Home shared LAN area. This image is not correct according to WD Tech Support.

On my Mac OS using the My Cloud Home drive, I will only have a TimeMachineBackup folder (will never see a Public folder) in the LAN shared area. This TimeMachineBackup folder of course is intended strictly for Mac users on the LAN to use the My Cloud Home drive for Time Machine Backups.

Windows users I’m told only see a Public folder in the LAN shared area, for backup purposes as well.

Neither the Public folder on Windows PCs or the TimeMachineBackup folder on Mac PCs are intended for “sharing” files with other users (though I know you could do this using the TimeMachineBackup folder, becuase I did try this just to see if it was possible). The intended method of sharing is to place the files in your private area and use a share link.

I hope that helps. BTW, the fine folks told me that the My Cloud Home drive is just the new marketing packaging for the older My Cloud drive. This is absolutely INCORRECT. The My Cloud Home drive is very different from the My Cloud (NAS) drive and is intended to be DIFFERENT. After learning this, I decided to still keep the My Cloud Drive once I learned its intended purpose. TBH, I’m liking it very much again now that I understand its intended purpose and use.

I hope this helps a few folks.

1 Like

Meant to say the fine folks at Best Buy told me that My Cloud Home was just newer packaging for the My Cloud drive; this is NOT correct. See my earlier post.

I am able to put a backup from other computers on my LAN though and that is covers most of what I wanted to do by putting the following into the destination folder of my backup program. \MYCLOUD-XXXXXX\Public\DellBackups

Thanks for the info and help.

i’ve notice it limited size in public folder, im on MCHD with 12TB, ive transfer 600gb into it and it says full! disagree there is no resized options!!

I am trying to save backup from backup solution to WD Public Folder, but it is asking me username & password

Hello. I had a problem with MyCloud Home being able to map the public folders to other computers in our home.

I found a work around and hope this helps others having the same problem.

First, you have to download the WD Discovery program. Install it and log into it.

Second, after WD Discovery is installed, reboot your computer.

Third, once the computer has fully rebooted, go into File Explorer and mao a network drive. Type in \mycloud-xxxxxx\ and then select browse and select which folder you want to map. Please note the the xxxxxx noted above are the last 6 digits for your MyCloud Home serial number.

Hope that helps. Took me forever to figure this out.

The Public folder is lost for My Cloud Home device,.
It works fine for about 2 years, but now I lost access to the Public folder.
The Privet folder is still visible.