WD My Cloud Home - LAN / Public folder access issue

Hi there,

I’ve recently got a My Cloud Home, and according to the website it has:

• Private User Space (online via mycloud.com & apps)
  • Local Area Network Share (LAN)

I have no issues accessing the online storage, however no matter what I try I cannot get the LAN share to show up. Apparently it should automatically show up in the network tab (Windows), but it doesn’t.

I was able to find the device’s IP address, and when I enter it directly in File Explorer it actually goes to the correct local public folder, but that’s not exactly an ideal and reliable method for everyday use.

What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Exactly the same problem. I used to access my WD Cloud drive contents directly from my android media player. It would show all directories and files. Now, with WD My Cloud Home, I see the Public folder, but nothing in it. The same contents show up in the app, however. But I want to access the drive as a network share from anywhere.

2 Likes

Assuming Windows 10?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20774&lang=en

THANK YOU! :heart:

Re-enabling the SMB Client in Windows 10 Features solved this!

Yes… thanks a lot! That did solve the problem in Win 10. However, on Android, I still haven’t been able to solve the issue. Please see the attached screenshots. The public folder is still appearing empty. How to solve this issue?

MYCLOUD-XXXXX/Public is a local network share via SMB (Samba)
The My Cloud Home mobile app and WD Discovery cannot see this share.
It can only access the User Private Space.

So then how do I access the files using my android devices? The public folder looks empty on my phone, whereas the public folder on the WDC Home has lot of files.

I have set up a VPN connection in my router. I access my file though 3rd party app such as “File Commander” (local network). NOT My Cloud app.

I am really disappoint to WD MCH. I want my money back or give me back My Cloud.

1 Like

Hi everyone

I bought a “my cloud home” a few days ago and I have a problem with * Local Area Network Share (LAN).

13 users have access to it via LAN. when I turn it on almost all devices can access its public folder. but after a while, a few devices lose their connection and when I try to reestablish the connection, even though I still have its ping, I get the following message in network section:

“the folder you entered does not appear to be valid. please choose another.”

how can I fix this problem?

The following article may be helpful
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=21699&s=

this video help me to access public folder in pc and android explorer

1 Like

Hi all. I know this post is quite old, but I have reached it through receiving the My Cloud Home, setting it up, and then finding the same issue.

Surface Pro 6 laptop on WiFi sees the device no problem, but older dinosaur main PC (2011 build) can’t see it at all. Tried all the tips - looking at SMB versions, other hacks but nothing worked.

Then hit upon a complete, quick solution that may chime with others, and is a “safe” fix that - whilst it does required changing a registry key in one place - is not going to push over PC-killing dominoes.

The issue is that a Windows Update changed a security setting to prevent “insecure guest logon” to services, that breaks use of the Public folder on My Cloud Home

Fix1: go to gpedit.msc (Start/Run) and navigate to Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation and change the setting “Enable insecure guest logons” to 1

Fix2: If that doesn’t do it straight away (didn’t for me), go to Registry Editor and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters and change the Enable insecure guest logins value to 1.

Immediately my Network shares populated and I could access the Public folder on my My Cloud Home. Boom!

Hi there. I think I have the same issue with the public folder on my WD Home. I managed to access it via Explorer but Public folder appears empty (access via web page My Cloud Home works fine). I tried all the fixes writen here but still Public folder appears empty. Any ideas?