WD MyCloud Public folder, who see's it?

Hello,
I’m in need of a little coaching. I’ve forgotten how the basics work when saving and viewing files saved to my WD MyCloud drive.

I installed a WD MyCloud dive to my network last spring and using my iMac I saved files to the Public folder. I’m not sure why I did that but think I recall it was so my PC computer could also see them.

I don’t want the public outside my home network to see them though and am trying to better understand who would have access to those files and how might they go about loading them to view.

I ultimately don’t want my files in the “Public folder” if anyone on the web can see them but instead to have them visible to me only.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this.

Valerie

I would suggested reading the User Manual for the My Cloud (https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904) if you haven’t done so already. It explains how to setup a Share for Private access and how to configure which Users have access to that Private Share (Full Access, Read Only, No Access).

Any files in the Public Folder or in any Share configured for Public will be accessible by anyone on the local network or by anyone who has remote access to your My Cloud. Remote access is configured through the My Cloud Dashboard.

On a side note any media in Shares that have Media Server enabled on them will be accessible to any DLNA media player on the local network regardless if one is using a Private Share or not.

Thank you Bennor! This info is very helpful!

I’ll now create a Share for Private access then set it’s permissions.

I had tried to google the answer before writing to the WD community but got confused where to start and where I went wrong and now feel I have tangible steps to set it all straight.
:smile:
-Valerie