Not able to delete files why ? how to fix

“the operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “locked” is deselected and then check the sharing and permissions section. When are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again”

Firm ware 5.18.117. MAC OS Monterey 12.1 in Mac world you would have to lock each file. So as no files have been locked by myself and none are actually locked. What can the answer be I wonder?

1 Like

I have kind of the same problems. I use my PR4100 for backup of my music production files from Logic Pro X. I can’t delete some projects because it says files are in use. No…they are not in use, since I haven’t opened some projects for years. Screen shot below of the message from Mac OS

Rebooting the PR4100 does not help and I find this truly annoying. Single files - and many in succession - is okay, but not files like the Logic projects (these are files that contains files in itself like recorded audio files etc. ECG CR T1 SOLO#2 is an recorded audio file).

Someone has a clue?

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 21.31.53

Interesting no one has posted an answer, could it be too difficult to answer. If it was a hardwired hard drive, you could probably delete ?
Not able to connect directly here as the only port WD has is ethernet. Wondering to borrow an old laptop with ethernet and try. This is the only solution that comes to mind. Other issues will be I suspect many more other files are also locked. (none are actually locked)

1 Like

I just encountered this issue today. Trying to move my photos library to an external WD MY Cloud; conncted via cat 6 ethernet. The move cancelled out due to my mac going to sleep, so it stopped the file copying process. I clicked resume and got this error:

“The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “Locked” is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again.”

Would like to delete and start over. Copying to another file directory for now. WD, Do you have an answer?

Hi zeplin, you will get a quicker answer from your own tinkering I am sorry to say.

WD not very pro active in these fields.
PS I never found a solution or had an answer back to resolve.

So went plan B used a USB port plugged in another drive and put files here. PS I know that they are they’re and will be there when I return later. Maybe Wifi drive you are using is well just a play a movie listen to a song. Have a look at other solutions like … company make. Listen to reviews etc - basic drag drop in or out on any device should be - well abc done.

There seems to a permissions issue on some of the files.

Try to delete the file(s) from the Mac Terminal using the command:

rm "FILE_TO_BE_DELETED"

Replace “FILE_TO_BE_DELETED” with the path to the file, i.e. “~/Desktop/ECG CR T1 Solo#02.aif”

You can also just drag & drop the file into the Terminal window.

thank you JR, a sound idea.

Well this problem started up a month or so ago on my Windows home network. For some reason, video files that have been accessed after the last reboot will not delete, with the message “File In Use” “This action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program” “Close the file and try again”. I take it something most likely the (video?) codec has seized the file by temp changing of permissions and won’t release it for some reason. This wasn’t the case until lately. Is this a bug introduced with an OS 5 patch? So what it requires is developing a list and rebooting the PR4100 which then allows deletion. I am on the verge of reporting a bug but wondering if I am alone in this experience.

You are not alone in this experience. I am experiencing the same on macOS. Some files, after being opened by some application, won’t get released even after along time.

This seems to be a problem with the MyCloud Pro though.

Well keep in mind the Mycloud is more than a file server. It does process some types of files and more depending of what add’l features you may have sideloaded. In my case if I have viewed video files through a viewer such as VLC onboard a fire stick, my pr41000 will not delete the file until I reboot. Like It or not that is the only solution I have had success with.
Let me preface this with I love my PR4100. In my mind it gives me every function I want without the bother of setting up a Windows or Linux server. It is the heart of my home network and with very little maintenance does the job exceedingly well.
Now back to this video files lock down my PR4100 executes on any video file I view with the exception of the Windows system that was used to view the file. That system still maintains full read/write privileges. Now as I already mentioned, a soft reboot via the PR4100 GUI will release the file once it reboots. Now I am not sure why the PR4100 feels the need to lock down the file initially, perhaps to prevent disruption during play. It doesn’t explain why it continues after the event until reboot. Perhaps one of the authors of OS/5 could explain this? Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a deal killer but more of a nuisance and if it could be avoided that would be great. It appears I am not alone with this wish. Thanks

The error message “The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped” usually means that there is a problem with the permissions on one or more of the files that you are trying to delete. The permissions on a file control who can access the file and what they can do with it.
On a Mac, files can be locked by individual users or by groups of users. If a file is locked, only the user or group that locked it can modify or delete it. You can use Disk Utility to check for and repair any file system errors on your Mac.

All good points and great in put Ellinor, issues are files are not on a Mac they are on a WD. Permissions were not locked when transfer was made. I give disc utility ago. Mac over wifi to WD will be interesting let’s test.

I am not able to see, mount WD over wifi on a 2023 Mac laptop to complete disc utility (if your a pc user no you cannot plug a WD into a modern Mac without buying an adapter for the ethernet side for the purpose of connectivity. You can plug a general drive usb etc and then run DU

So I think I get it. There is a feature on my PR4100 that will allow me to pause a video, and return to that same video at the point I left the video even if I have left the network or a current MyCloud session. So in effect OS5 will pause the video which requires the OS5 to lock that file to enable that feature. Unfortunately that file remains locked even if it has been played to the end. The only way OS5 currently will release the lock on that file is to reload OS5. So it makes sense why the video file’s control is exclusive to OS5 once the NAS plays the file. It’s a little annoying yes since you must reboot the NAS to do some housekeepng, but it seems that’s the price to pay for the video file playback feature. Mystery soved. If it’s possible to allow the NAS admin to release the file manually to allow deletion with out a reboot as a future update, that would be great.

Here’s an update. It was 3rd party program, (in my case it was VLC player hanging on to those files to keep a track of what was already viewed and keeps a still sample). If you turn off all history in VLC the deleting problem goes away. I imagine the history goes away with a reboot and releases the file.
So problem solved, the pr4100 was doing it’s job correctly.