No Internet Access?

All,

After several hours talking to both WD level 2 tech support and with my internet provider, it looks like the problem is with my provider. For some odd reason they are filtering/blocking port 80. WD Tech support already remotely logged into my computer and configured my router to my WDMC and we still could not get the Internet access. He did a signal check for both port 80 and 443 and we found out that port 80 is closed. I'm still trying to work with my internet provider to find out what is the work around for my situation.

Is there any way to configure the WDMC to work from a different port?

I will let everyone know once I get this thing resolved. Thank you all for all you in site and help with all of this. Once I get home I will also screen shot the restrictions I am talking about from my internet provider (Cox Communications)

Juan Torio (iPhone 6+)

So your ISP is blocking inbound access to port 80. Interesting.

One can reconfigure the Cloud Access Connection Options on the Dashboard > Settings > Cloud Access > Configure from Auto to Manual and change the External Port 1 from the default of 80 to something like 8080. One would probably also have to configure their router to pass that port through to the WD My Cloud. Don’t know if that would solve the general problem of not even being able to check for a firmware update though.

Why didn’t WD support help you correct the password for SSH? I don’t think the password problem is going to be corrected when the port problem is fixed.

RAC

Changing the incoming port 80 will only solve part of your issue. It will not assist in anyway for outgoing connections.

Just last night I helped out one of the fellow user here (who donated very generously) remotely installing OwnCloud on to both his MyCloud also WordPress to migrate his website to one of the MyCloud. One of his MyCloud was having remote access issue due to UPnP port conflicting and it’s now fixed. All he needs to do is just to enable the router remote management and I handled the rest i.e. port forwarding, UPnP etc.

Now since I’m using the same R8000, my free will offer to help will last till this weekend after which I will no longer follow this post. As stated in my reply to your PM, have you done the things I’ve instructed especially the 40secs reset to recover the root password?

After several phone calls to my Internet Provider and even going as far as purchasing Business Tech Solutions through them for $99. I found out that they are unable to open Port 80 for me and that there is no real work around from their end since it was a Corporate decision to block that specific port. This is what I got from their website on why they block it. Fortunately I was able to get a refund of the $99 since they were unable to help me with my situation.

Now, with this being said, is there any kind of work around on going off a different port?

Your problem is two fold. First the fact that you get an error just checking for a firmware update. Second is the ports used for remote access.

You still need to figure out why checking for a firmware upgrade fails if that is still occurring. And why you cannot access your unit via SSH. Have you tried a 4 second or 40 second reset to see if either one fixes the SSH password issue? A reset may also fix other issues as well. See the following WD Support document for more information on how to reset the WD My Cloud: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10432

The ports used for remote access can be changed via the Dashboard > Settings > General > Cloud Access > Remote Access set to On, then select the Configure link, then select Manual. One can then change the External Port 1 (HTTP) from 80 to something like 8080. You shoudn’t have to change External Port 2 (HTTPS). For more information on how to change the Remote Access My Cloud ports see the following WD Support document: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=8526 One will also probably have to configure their router to forward the new External Port 1 number to the WD My Cloud.

Bennor,

I just tried accessing SSH again after I did a 40 sec reset and reboot and this is what I’m getting. Am I typing it correctly in the terminal? Again I am on a MAC, not Windows.

Do you have SSH enabled in the dashboard?

RAC

Oops, my bad. I did enable it now but this is what I am still getting when trying to get in

I am using the password as “welc0me” where I replaced the “o” with a zero.

Your not connecting via SSH right. Try the following:

ssh root@10.0.0.25

By using sshd@10.0.0.25 the My Cloud thinks your trying to use the login name “sshd”. The login name is “root”, the password is “welc0me”.

Edit to add: Just noticed you were using “sshd” back on Nov 4th as well. This is quite possibly the reason why you couldn’t access via SSH previously.

Bennor,

Thanks for that info. I am now able to get into SSH. I have pinged 8.8.8.8 and this is what I am getting.

How long is this going to be? Is it actually working? It just keeps on going
 Sorry, I’m still a newbie to all of this.

That indicates your getting a reply from Google (8.8.8.8). What do you see if you access the Dashboard and go to Settings > Network? Does the Status indicate “Internet access”?

Nope, still have no internet access.

What happens if you change the Network Mode back to DHCP? Does Status still indicate No Internet Access?

Don’t think this question has been asked yet but what is your network layout? What is the Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router connected to on the WAN/Cox broadband side? Did Cox give you a broadband router/gateway? If so what happens if you connect your My Cloud (when configured for DHCP and not Static) to the Cox provided equipment and take the Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router out of the equation? Does the My Cloud Status indicate an Internet connection then?

I have tried to switch it back to DHCP and it was still indicating No Internet Access. WD Level 2 Tech Support remotely logged into my computer the other day and configured both my router and my WDMC. What they told me is that I would need to contact my Internet Provider and have them open up port 80 but my Internet provider will not open it up due to policy reasons. There has to be away to be able to use this device on a different port. Here are some of the screen shots that I have with my set-up.

What is the Netgear router connected to? It is connected to your broadband provider’s router/gateway or to a modem of some type? If there is a broadband provided router/gateway that the Netgear router is connected to, have you tried removing the Netgear router from the equation, connect the My Cloud to the broadband provider’s router to see if the problem persists?

If the Netgear router supports a “DMZ Zone” put the My Cloud into that DMZ Zone and see if it can properly connect to the internet. Generally a “DMZ Zone” is putting the computer or in this case My Cloud outside of the Netgear router’s firewall and other filtering features.

Edit to add: Netgear support doc explaining how to enable the DMZ zone on their routers: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24086/~/how-do-i-set-up-a-default-dmz-server-on-my-nighthawk-router%3F

As in my earlier question; it looks like you are specifying port forwarding for FTP (“Service Name: FTP” in the pull-down menu).

You want to map ports for TCP/UDP, not FTP. I’m guessing that you can use that ‘Service Name’ pull-down to select TCP.

cpt_paranoia,

Yes, I am using the TCP/UDP, and not FTP. Here is what I have set-up.

Bennor,

My Netgear is connected to my provider’s Cisco gateway

I’ll look into the DMZ Zone you mentioned. I think I remember seeing this in the settings some where. I will post my findings in a few.

Yes try putting the My Cloud into the DMZ zone (see Netgear link I posted earlier) to see if it will at least indicate “Internet access” for network Status. If it does, and if when one hits the Check for Update button under firmware it indicates either new firmware or “Your firmware is up to date.” then you’ll know the problem is definently with the router. Then you can test the remote access by changing the Cloud Access Http 1 port 80 to 8080 and see if the Cloud Access Connection Status indicates “Connected (Relay connection established)”.

If both are indicating a connection while in DMZ zone then you’ve narrowed down the issue to some sort of incorrect setting in the Netgear router.

You do not want to keep the My Cloud in the DMZ zone for very long however, since any device in the DMZ zone is exposed to the entire internet. With the My Cloud that means Dashboard access and My Cloud share/folder/data file access may be exposed to the Internet.