Connection Status : No Internet Connection

MyCloud  3TB worked well in the first 6 months, able to connect and use it on PC, Mac, and tablets, WD Photos…etc, all without much extraneous configuration. Even remote access, slow but works from outside the home network as well…

But in the last few weeks, not sure what has changed, but now only PC and Mac is able to connect (locally via home network), but all tablets, and remote access are lost even on home-network.

On WD Dashboard, now the Connection Status is : No Internet Connection, but don’t know how to fix this, do I need to add Port Forward or Static IP?  First 6 months, it was all working correctly without it.

Also, on Cloud Access, Cloud devices for me, a bunch of ‘New Unregistered Device’, looks like all the Win and Mac ones that still works are OK, but all others are ‘New Unregistered Device’, and 1969 date.  Unable to delet or fix it.

Finally, I just tried to login online to https://www.wd2go.com with my mingch@yahoo.com, logged in, and found the device, click on the device, and redirect to my LAN IP, but got “To view this content, you must log in as an authorized user.Click to log in.”  But I am able t login to my PC Dashboard without problem, so I think there’s some corruptions??

Help, thanks, Ming

Welcome to the WD Community.

Setting the unit with a static ip is recommended to get a more steady connection. 

Have you tried resetting the unit?

Setting the unit with a static ip is recommended to get a more steady connection. 

Yes, I did.  Also set port forwarding from my router as well. 

Have you tried resetting the unit?

Yes, System Restore, becuase I didn’t want to wipe out my uploaded data.  Again, no help.  Right after login to dashboard, very briefly it will show Ready, then it will show No Internet Access.

So, what else can I try?  Very frustrating.  I have Xfinity provided ARRIS TG862G router.

Thanks.

mingch wrote:

Yes, I did.  Also set port forwarding from my router as well. 

One suggestion that may or may not impact the unit’s ability to access the internet is to input the DNS servers that your broadband router/gateway/modem uses when configuring the Static IP setting within the WD My Cloud device. Another suggestion is to ensure the “Gateway” IP address for the Static IP configuration on the WD My Cloud is using the IP address of your broadband router/gateway.

Also ensure that the IP address that you are using for the static IP address of the WD My Cloud is set aside by the router/gateway to avoid potential issues of some other device trying to use that IP address. Some router/gateway units will have an option to exclude a static IP or to assign a static IP to a particular client device. Otherwise one can set the static IP on the WD My Cloud outside of the DHCP IP address pool the router/gateway uses. Also ensure the WD My Cloud is using the same IP address subnet (for example the network devices all use an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range) as the router/gateway.

Thanks for the assistance.

I may not be setting some of these values correctly, let me attach some screenshots here…

Not sure if I got the Gateway or DNS servers correctly, or the IPV6 values???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ming

One suggestion that may or may not impact the unit’s ability to access the internet is to input the DNS servers that your broadband router/gateway/modem uses when configuring the Static IP setting within the WD My Cloud device.

MING>>> I believe it’s 75.75.75.75 as seen in my screenshot.

Another suggestion is to ensure the “Gateway” IP address for the Static IP configuration on the WD My Cloud is using the IP address of your broadband router/gateway.

MING>>> I believe this is 10.0.0.1

Also ensure that the IP address that you are using for the static IP address of the WD My Cloud is set aside by the router/gateway to avoid potential issues of some other device trying to use that IP address.

MING>>> 10.0.0.25 was what was assigned by DHCP before I change it to static, and it’s also the IP that I use to reach the WD dashboard.  Though at one time DHCP did assigne to 10.0.0.21 briefly, before I force it back to 25.

Some router/gateway units will have an option to exclude a static IP or to assign a static IP to a particular client device. Otherwise one can set the static IP on the WD My Cloud outside of the DHCP IP address pool the router/gateway uses. Also ensure the WD My Cloud is using the same IP address subnet (for example the network devices all use an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range) as the router/gateway.

MING>>> All my local IP is 10.0.0.X, and not 192.168.x.x

The ARRIS router’s Port Forwarding is asking for IPV6 which I am not sure where to get that info from…

Thanks, Ming

Here’s a thread describing how I went about enabling cloud access, to set port forwarding via manual mode.

I did see a discussion about prefixing the ports with 9000, but I left them as 80 and 443, and it seems to work okay. Note that I had to reboot my router (an easy way to force MyCloud to reboot…).

Your 10.x.x.x IP addresses are valid for a 24-bit address range; a bit OTT for a home network, but valid…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Not sure about the IPV6 addresses: do you have IPV6 addressing enabled on your router? I don’t think MyCloud supports IPV6; can’t see any setting to enable it.

Your other settings seem to make sense.

Since the router Port Forwarding has IPV6, but not required, I removed it,since the IPV6 from MAC address has ‘empty’ parts.  Reboot, still not working.

Then, I changed it to 80, and 443, as you suggested, on both WD Dashboard, and router, reboot, still not working–No Internet Access.

Really running out of ideas on what else to try…:manmad:

My Ex2100 drops connection to my router every few minutes and the reconnects again … is this a configuration issue on my end or a hardware problem?

You should make a new thread for better viability. Anyways, try setting the IP to static and also check all your physical connections.

This has now happened to me twice with two separate pr4100s. It always happen after a firmware update. WD is ■■■■ and their support ■■■■■