MyCloud 2TB No Internet Access

Looking to see if someone might be knowledgible on why I have no internet access for a MyCloud 2TB. I’ve replaced an older MyBook Live 2TB with this. The old mybook worked fine (other than performance issues), remote access, same router etc etc.

This MyCloud will not connect to the internet for firmware updates (I’ve confirmed it has the latest on it currently). If I click on Settings - Network under Network profile Status it says No Internet Access (although quickly after rebooting it does flash Internet access for a 1/2 sec - although this is probably a default).

I’ve tried the reboot from the back of the device. I’ve done a quick + full restore - still problems. It’s connected to a Netgear D6200 router. I’ve setup port forwarding on the router for ports 80 & 443 as suggested. I’ve set the reservation address in router as 192.168.0.3. I’ve set the Mycloud Network Services as DHCP and also tried Static. I’ve tried using free DNS for the DNS servers in the static options. None of these give the unit internet access. These are the settings I used for Static:

IP 192.168.0.3

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 1 192.168.0.1 (also tried googles 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)

I’ve searched, I’ve read and tried but nothings solved the problem.

However if I use the desktop app and login it connects to the device no worries (however haven’t connected other than my own network - can’t do that until I’m away). Everything else works fine (media streaming, network access via explorer, map drives, read/write files).

WD support was useless in this case - the good old full factory reboot. And from all the cases I’ve read, no one has given a definitive answer as to why this happens. I suspect it’s something to do with the firmware and they’re not admitting it’s a problem. Every other NAS I have connected works fine - except this piece of junk.

I’m running out of answers and patience with this. If anyone can help I would be greatly appeciative. Otherwise I’ll probably give this drive to the little one for backup and buy a proper NAS like a QNAP or Synology. And then I’m done with WD

Thanks

Pete

SnowyPete wrote:

I’ve tried the reboot from the back of the device. I’ve done a quick + full restore - still problems. It’s connected to a Netgear D6200 router. I’ve setup port forwarding on the router for ports 80 & 443 as suggested. I’ve set the reservation address in router as 192.168.0.3. I’ve set the Mycloud Network Services as DHCP and also tried Static. I’ve tried using free DNS for the DNS servers in the static options. None of these give the unit internet access. These are the settings I used for Static:

IP 192.168.0.1

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 1 192.168.0.1 (also tried googles 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)

The setting you listed, are those the settings you input into the Static setting on the WD My Cloud? If so the settings are incorrect and the cause of why the WD My Cloud cannot reach the Internet. You have the WD My Cloud IP address set to the same address as the Gateway. The Gateway is your broadband router or gateway IP Address, not the WD My Cloud IP Address. Change the “IP Address” entry to an unused IP address. Consult your broadband router/gateway’s DHCP server settings to see if there is an unused IP address or unused IP address range you can select from to input into the WD My Cloud.

Thanks for the Reply,

Sorry, it was a typo.

The IP address I set in the Mycloud was 192.168.0.3 , the same as the reserved IP I set in the router 192.168.0.3.

They should be the same shouldn’t they? The gateway of the router was 192.168.0.1. So nothing else as far as I know is using IP 192.168.0.3 other than the MYcloud.

Thanks

Pete

Hey Pete, good night. 

I just got MyCloud a couple of days ago and I am having exactly the same problem that you are facing. 

Just exactly the same, actually  I just register trying to find a solution/alternative to this issue.  

I have done everything, as I just bought it I havent executed a full restore, (which I think I will ),

For the veteran WD users, if you could lend us a hand that would be awesome. 

So nothing else as far as I know is using IP 192.168.0.3 other than the MYcloud.

[my italics]

Why not set it to DHCP and let the router and MyCloud negotiate a free IP address?  Then you should be sure that nothing is clashing, and also avoid all the subnet mask and gateway IP complications.

This will allow you to know whether there’s a fault with the Ethernet interface, or some problem with the static IP configuration.

Once DHCP has established a working IP address, you could use your router’s UI to set an infinite DHCP timeout (often using a control with wording something like ‘always use this IP address’). This is what I’ve done. I’m not bothered about losing a single address from the DHCP pool, since I’m working in a home network, which is pretty static, and doesn’t have hundreds of devices coming and going all the time, needing DHCP addresses. In fact, for all the devices on my network using DHCP, I set infinite timeout.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Why not set it to DHCP and let the router and MyCloud negotiate a free IP address?  

That’s the way I set it up initially (and other NAS’s I have). I even setup the old MyBook this way. But this one will not connect to the internet no matter what I try. And the router has a permanent reserved IP address for the MYCloud 192.168.0.3 as previously stated.

stukahd wrote:

I just got MyCloud a couple of days ago and I am having exactly the same problem that you are facing. 

Just exactly the same, actually  I just register trying to find a solution/alternative to this issue.  

I

I’ve read every post I could find, tried every “solution” and still nothing. Seems like a lot of people just give up and resign the fact.

I have done everything, as I just bought it I havent executed a full restore, (which I think I will ),

Probably couldn’t hurt but I doubt it will fix it. I think the tech’s want it in an initial state so they don’t have to fart arse around with multiple settings.

Update: I tried to connect to the device with the Mycloud app while I’m away and surprise it doesn’t connected. Only if I’m on the same network. So it definately isn’t connected to the internet.

Any suggestions guys?

If you can connect to your MyCloud on the local network, then the Ethernet ports of MyCloud and router, ethernet cable and IP addresses are okay, and there seems to be no problem with your MyCloud.

This brings us to the next link in the chain from MyCloud to the internet: your router/modem. I would suggest that your router is prohibiting external access for your MyCloud for some reason. Take a good look at the firewall settings.

Thanks Guys for the suggestions.

I’ve just been off the phone with tech support and finally got someone who A.Spoke English B. Knew what they were looking for. When you get a decent support person from WD I must say they’re great. Otherwise you’re at the other extreme - scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The end result is that the unit seems to be setup correctly, however seems to have intermitten connection. No internet connection yet it updated to the latest firmware and now can’t check because again no internet access - Yeah go figure. And still no remote access. And I’m definately not buying a new router just because this particular unit doesn’t want to play nice.

So it’s another RMA and sending the unit back for another replacement. That seems to be fix for this problem.

Let’s see if I win the lottery draw this go round. I’m glad I have everything stored and running on another NAS and didn’t copy much onto this device.

Hi Pete, alternatively. (it might sound obvious) but have you tried upgrading the Firmware, that fixed it for me and the device feels ultra fast :smiley:

Initially, that was the problem. It didn’t have internet access to update the firmware. And it did have the latest firmware (I checked that manually). However, it has apparently been updating itself (as the firmware was updated since I got it). And after talking with the tech, it updated again (so yes it’s got the latest firmware from the 25/09). But still has no internet access and still can’t be accessed remotely.

It’s booked in to be dropped off the post office next week at any rate.