No Internet Access?

As suggested early in the thread, if the OP hasn’t done so already its probably advisable to read (or reread) the User Manual (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_8Jul14.pdf) for that router and look at Chapter 5, Control Access to the Internet to ensure none of the options explained in that chapter are blocking the My Cloud from accessing the Internet.

If setting the My Cloud to DHCP doesn’t work, and the network/IP settings the My Cloud is obtaining from the router are valid/correct, that strongly suggests that there is a setting within the router that is preventing Internet access to the My Cloud.

Other troubleshooting steps, change Ethernet cables used to connect the My Cloud to the router (the My Cloud is directly connected to the router right?), connect that Ethernet cable to a different network port on the back of the router, power cycle every single device on the local network including the router and broadband modem, perform a factory reset on the router, disconnect all other network devices to the router other than the My Cloud and one computer.

Since he can SSH into the My Cloud to the point that it asks for a password. If he ca get to the internet from his PC. I believe the router and the cable and the ports being used are fine. He needs to get into the My Cloud to check the network options. Also check the resolv.conf file to see if it has the DNS ip addresses.

The question is why can’t he login?

RAC

[quote=“rac8006, post:29, topic:136716, full:true”]
Since he can SSH into the My Cloud to the point that it asks for a password. If he ca get to the internet from his PC. I believe the router and the cable and the ports being used are fine.
…[/quote]
Oh I agree those are probably fine. But at this point it couldn’t hurt to cross those items off the troubleshooting list.

There is obviously something not right either within their Netgear router or some sort of misconfiguration error within the My Cloud that is not being reflected on the Dashboard interface. The SSH access is obviously indicating something is wonky. They changed things with OS3 firmware where one is prompted to change the SSH password upon first logging into SSH. If the OP’s My Cloud was used and obtained from someone else its possible that person changed the SSH password rendering the initial default password (welc0me) unusable. If that My Cloud was used its possible the previous user modified the OS with add-on modules or edited files via SSH causing the current issues.

I don’t recall seeing if the OP did a “reset” either 4 second or 40 second or even a full restore reset. The OP should at the very least do a 4 second reset to see if that clears the SSH login problem. If that doesn’t work then do a Quick Restore after backing up any data on the device to see if that clears up the SSH login problem.

To all,

As of right now, I am able to do a TimeMachine backup with both my desktop (iMac) and my laptop (MBP). I do have internet connections through all my other devices both Ethernet and through WiFi. The only thing though is that it is taking way to long to back up. I started the back up on both units early afternoon yesterday and I checked this morning and they are not even at the half way point. Does it really take that long to back up. I have both units hooked up on ethernet cables, not WiFi. My iMac has 422.04 GB of 2.35 TB left on it and my MBP has 403.89 GB of 1.11 TB left on it.

There has to be something with my settings that is still having my WDMC to still indicate that there is no internet access. It looks like I am able to transfer files to the unit but why does it still indicate that I don’t have internet access? I also tried to see if I can access it through my iPhone through their MyCloud App and I can see it. So what might be the problem?

The problem is that you need SSH. To be able to look at the WDMC parameters. Also you
probably have the file indexing programs running while you are backing up. Which cause extra overhead.

RAC

Was your iPhone connected remotely via your cellular data plan to the My Cloud? I.e. the phone was not connected to your local WiFi network.

As to your comment about slow speeds. That is dependent on many factors not the least of which is how the computer being backed up is connected to the local network. To backup a computer with a large hard drive over WiFi can actually take several days on a slow WiFi connection.

See the following link for a discussion on copying speed on the My Cloud.

https://community.wd.com/t/before-you-pack-up-your-wd-and-return-it-lets-talk-about-copying-speeds/91887

I’m using the same R8000 router and the stock firmware has it’s gateway set to 192.168.1.1 by default. Refer to my previous post on how to set to 192.168.1.1. Technically 10.0.0.1 should work but I’m not sure about OS3 as I’m still using 04.01.02-417. I suspect that your resolv.conf:

cat /etc/resolv.conf nameserver 192.168.1.1

is pointing to a non-existence DNS hence you can’t resolve internet hostnames but WDMC isn’t checking hostnames for the internet access status (see below why). So you need to be able to SSH into the WDMC to check further. If required, do the 40secs reset to revert the default root password as stated in the WDMC manual (this will also revert your WDMC to default state but data preserved).

JFYI, the WDMC Dashboard is checking againts Google DNS then OpenDNS TCP port 53 for internet access. If you can SSH into WDMC, you can test:
curl http://localhost/api/1.0/rest/internet_access/googledns
curl http://localhost/api/1.0/rest/internet_access/opendns
curl http://localhost/api/1.0/rest/internet_access/wd2go ← this one www.wd2go.com:80 is specified but doesn’t seems to be doing any checks even in OS3 (I got hold of the latest OS3 rootfs).

And you should see the results:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <internet_access> <connectivity>true</connectivity> </internet_access>

You can also check if either of the DNS is blocked by your ISP, from your PC command prompt:
telnet 8.8.8.8 53
telnet 208.67.222.222 53

And you should see a blank screen. If telnet is not enabled on your PC, use putty instead, set to telnet, IP:208.67.222.222 port:53 (for 8.8.8.8:53 you’ll get disconnected instantly this is normal).

I shall not get more technical, you should be able to figure out something from all the above previous users post. If you’re still lost, temporarily enable the remote management on the R8000 default port 8443 and PM me your IP/credentials (you still need to reset your root password).

Looking at your port forwarding setup, I have the following observations:

Why did you choose port 3333 for http?
What service did you specify for that port? It should be TCP/upd
Why is there only one port? It is usual to have two ports, for http and https, being 80 and 443.
Or 8080 and 8443

Take a look at the Static IP configuration of the My Cloud, please

IP address: 10.0.0.25
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

It has to be

subnet mask 255.0.0.0

to get this Static IP working, it’s a Class A network, not a Class C…

Given that the IP addresses allocated are 10.0.0.X specifying a mask of 255.255.255.0 ought to work, surely? Isn’t it just saying 'you can only change the bottom byte? Whereas a class A mask of 255.0.0.0 says ‘you can use the three LSBs’?

Correct, but I can imagine that the router - or better spoeken its LAN switch - is not able to handle different subnet masks internally. I know only one router, or better one router firmware, that is able to do this but even here it happens often that problems occur. Give the correct subnet mask 255.0.0.0 a try.

Next thing: why using Static IPs on client devices which may counteract to the DHCP server settings of the router?
Is the 10.0.0.25 outside of the router’s DHCP table?
Why not using Static Lease for the DHCP IP addresses which the router has given to the client devices? Much more easy than coping with Static IP addresses on Client devices…

I agree about using DHCP and an infinite timeout/static lease/always use this address. It eliminates all the mucking about with settings…

The Class A subnet mask 255.255.255.0 is correct for 10.0.0.1/24. His router will support up to 254 IPs broadcast 10.0.0.255.

He has no issues with the IPs which he can still do transfers locally. But his dashboard says no internet access which also means no remote support available. Something is blocking the php socket checks from his dashboard to GoogleDNS and OpenDNS which he can only find out after restoring SSH access.

All,

After several hours talking to both WD level 2 tech support and with my internet provider, it looks like the problem is with my provider. For some odd reason they are filtering/blocking port 80. WD Tech support already remotely logged into my computer and configured my router to my WDMC and we still could not get the Internet access. He did a signal check for both port 80 and 443 and we found out that port 80 is closed. I'm still trying to work with my internet provider to find out what is the work around for my situation.

Is there any way to configure the WDMC to work from a different port?

I will let everyone know once I get this thing resolved. Thank you all for all you in site and help with all of this. Once I get home I will also screen shot the restrictions I am talking about from my internet provider (Cox Communications)

Juan Torio (iPhone 6+)

So your ISP is blocking inbound access to port 80. Interesting.

One can reconfigure the Cloud Access Connection Options on the Dashboard > Settings > Cloud Access > Configure from Auto to Manual and change the External Port 1 from the default of 80 to something like 8080. One would probably also have to configure their router to pass that port through to the WD My Cloud. Don’t know if that would solve the general problem of not even being able to check for a firmware update though.

Why didn’t WD support help you correct the password for SSH? I don’t think the password problem is going to be corrected when the port problem is fixed.

RAC

Changing the incoming port 80 will only solve part of your issue. It will not assist in anyway for outgoing connections.

Just last night I helped out one of the fellow user here (who donated very generously) remotely installing OwnCloud on to both his MyCloud also WordPress to migrate his website to one of the MyCloud. One of his MyCloud was having remote access issue due to UPnP port conflicting and it’s now fixed. All he needs to do is just to enable the router remote management and I handled the rest i.e. port forwarding, UPnP etc.

Now since I’m using the same R8000, my free will offer to help will last till this weekend after which I will no longer follow this post. As stated in my reply to your PM, have you done the things I’ve instructed especially the 40secs reset to recover the root password?

After several phone calls to my Internet Provider and even going as far as purchasing Business Tech Solutions through them for $99. I found out that they are unable to open Port 80 for me and that there is no real work around from their end since it was a Corporate decision to block that specific port. This is what I got from their website on why they block it. Fortunately I was able to get a refund of the $99 since they were unable to help me with my situation.

Now, with this being said, is there any kind of work around on going off a different port?

Your problem is two fold. First the fact that you get an error just checking for a firmware update. Second is the ports used for remote access.

You still need to figure out why checking for a firmware upgrade fails if that is still occurring. And why you cannot access your unit via SSH. Have you tried a 4 second or 40 second reset to see if either one fixes the SSH password issue? A reset may also fix other issues as well. See the following WD Support document for more information on how to reset the WD My Cloud: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10432

The ports used for remote access can be changed via the Dashboard > Settings > General > Cloud Access > Remote Access set to On, then select the Configure link, then select Manual. One can then change the External Port 1 (HTTP) from 80 to something like 8080. You shoudn’t have to change External Port 2 (HTTPS). For more information on how to change the Remote Access My Cloud ports see the following WD Support document: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=8526 One will also probably have to configure their router to forward the new External Port 1 number to the WD My Cloud.

Bennor,

I just tried accessing SSH again after I did a 40 sec reset and reboot and this is what I’m getting. Am I typing it correctly in the terminal? Again I am on a MAC, not Windows.