Port forwarding not working with Asus RT-N56U router

Hi all,

After a couple of month with a 3TB Mycloud that is working when it wants to, I beginning to loose faith…

I just want to configure the WDMyCloud with my router (ASUS RT-N56U) so that the connection says something else than “relay”.

Is someone at WD able to show me exactly how this thing is communicating with the internet? What are the actual effects of (DMZ, Port forwarding, PPPoE, UPNP, etc.). I have been reading this forum for way too long now looking for a simple answer to what should be a simple problem: the drive that is connected to my router which is connected to the internet is not reachable directly, only in relay mode).

Why is it that after 3 calls to WD tech service (two of those to level 2) no one is able to give me a simple clear answer? Once again, am I wrong to say that it as nothing to do with my computer (the drive is connected to a router)?

I would greatly appreciate an answer, or any help from someone in this community.

Thanks.

Turn on UPNP first before you do any port forwarding. Reset the router and see if it connects. 

HelloTnynyn,

Thank you for the advice. I’m pretty sure I tried that before, but I will give it another shot tonight.

If that can help, I noticed that I’m not able to use “wd2go” and that if I try to change my password in the login menu, the system gives me a response like: “unknown email”.  Very strange since I’m able to use my mobile (android) app to view my files…

Thank you again, I’ll come back to give some feedback.

Real

When you first register for cloud (wd2go.com) you should’ve gotten a link in your email for verification. It will take you to the site to create a password for the email account.  From there, you should be able to sign in from wd2go.com with the email and password that you changed it to (this is different from the password that you set on your My Cloud device)

Tnynyn,

Not sure to understand. I’m pretty sure there is something wrong. I’ll try to be clear:

1. opened the " www.wd2go.com" page,

2. entered my email

3. clicked on “forgot my password”

4. on the “You forgot your email” page, entered my email again, but after a second, the email disappear and a message saying: “Please enter the validation code. This email is not associated to any account” (translation from French).

?!?  So it looks like there is something wrong with my account.

Question 1: Do you believe a “system factory restore” would change something? I wouldn’t like to try that because of the backup space I don’t have.

Question 2: Is there a way to go thru the installation process without doing a complete reset?

Thanks

Real

Ok from the beginning:

Go to the My Cloud dashboard, click on Cloud Access and register an email to a user account (admin by default).  You should get a verification email that will send you to the wd2go site to create a new password (this is for your wd2go.com account, not your my cloud drive). 

A system factory restore will not change anything related to your wd2go.com account.  You’ll have to contact WD if you need help with your wd2go.com account that is using the email address you registered with.  You can however, use another email account that hasn’t been registered with wd2go.com yet.  Just go through the process as explained above but with a different email.

I did go through the port forwarding thing with an Asus RT-AC66U.

• uPnP on

• reservation of the IP for the MyCloud: port 8080 to port 80, port 8443 to port 443

• enter port information on My Cloud

• left DHCP on on My Cloud

First message told me the port forwarding was failing, default to relay

Rebooted My Cloud

Connection worked.

Etupes,

Thank you for your feedback. I have to admit, I never thought of leaving DHCP. I’m using an allocated IP for th WDMyCloud.

At that point, I’ll try anything.

Thanks.

TheRealReal:

I have the Asus RT-N56U (running Padavan firmware) and a MyCloud 2TB.  Works fine though I’ve only had it a week or so.  I have UPnP enabled on the router, no port forwarding.  I wonder why you need to use port forwarding for your MyCloud?   How are you trying to access your MyCloud? Through a computer on your home network?  From outside your home network?  By the way, I use my MyCloud as a NAS and to stream video content to two WDTV Live devices in the house. I have not tried to utilize its “cloud” functions yet.

Update: I activated a cloud account and downloaded wd2go to my iphone.  Access to my MyCloud works perfectly.  Nice app…  I will also add that my MyCloud updated to the latest WD firmware this morning. 

I recommend updating the FW and enabling UPnP on your Asus router. You might also try the Padavan FW for the N56U.