uPnP with Padavan firmware set for MyCloud

Continuing the discussion from Port forwarding not working with Asus RT-N56U router:

Hi slimyPizza, just wondering if you can post a screen snap on how your configure your router, because I am also using the same firmware like you, and it doesn’t work for me. the only difference might be that I compiled the firmware myself, and I added mini uPnP into the router padavan.

thanks a lot.

Hello,

Lets see if @SlimyPizza can help you out setting up this router. Unfortunately I don’t have this router and will not be able to help you, but also lets see if another user can share some information or tips on this matter.

if directly plug my WD into ADSL modem, then it’s connected in direct manner. however, if plugged into router after ADSL modem which is also a router, then always rely mode for WD. I still have no idea how to setup the port forwarding for WD connected router though I have tried a few online tuitions.

Yaanlpc: Sorry. I’m not going to be much help. It’s been a couple of years now. I still have my WD myCloud (two actually now,
a 2 and a 3TB) and two WD media players.
I built my own router/firewall several months ago (linux box running
pfSense) and I use my Asus RT-56U as a WAP as well as an Asus 66U – both used
as WAPs now. So, though I still have the
Asus 56U I don’t use it as a router and I don’t run Padavan firmware in it
anymore. I do still stream media content
to TVs in the house and don’t have any network issues. For cloud access I do
have a port forwarding connection – not a relay. From your last post, I can’t tell, but since
you said your ADSL modem “is also a router”, it sounds like you have a double
router situation?? You really don’t want
that. If your modem is acting as a router then you either need to stop using
your Asus 56U as a router OR, put your modem in bridge mode. Also double check that you have uPnP enabled
on your (one) router. Good luck.

Is your “ADSL modem” a modem or a router + modem? Your posts are not clear.

If the “ADSL modem” is actually a router + modem then connecting a second router to it will be a problem UNLESS you properly configure BOTH routers.

You either have to put the ADSL router + modem into “bridge mode” so that the second router is the main router on the network. When you put the router + modem into “bridge mode” it should pass all broadband traffic to the second router. Or one has to disable the firewall and DHCP server on the second router and let the router + modem handle both the firewall and DHCP server business. One would then connect the Ethernet cable from the router + modem to the second router’s networking port, NOT the second router’s WAN/Internet port.

It would help if you post the model/name of both the router + modem along with the second router. That may help others more accurately provide helpful information or links to “how to” pages that detail how to enable port forwarding and configure both routers to interact with each other properly.

Thanks for your suggestion, It’s a ADSL Modem with router and wireless function, I can see NAT firewall and DHCP are both on in the Modem (ActionTec GT784WNV), no idea how to put it into bridge mode. I tried the idea of turning off firewall in 2nd router (Xiaomi Mini Router + self compiled AC56 Padavan firmware), but seems it doesn’t work. I am not able to upload a screen snap for the interface of Modem, but I will google if I can put it through bridge mode and get your guys posted if I succeed. I appreciate yours and above guys’ suggestions, quite informative.

thanks SlimyPizza, you have a very similar idea with Bennor, I will check if I can make it later. Yes, I have double routers because the Modem also has all the functions of a router. Sorry I am not able to upload a screen snap to proof it. But I am pretty sure it’s a router.

The ActionTec GT784WNV is a WiFi router in addition to being a DSL modem. You should be able to plug Ethernet cable from the My Cloud into one of the four networking ports, the yellow ports labeled #2 on the image below, on the back of the ActionTec GT784WNV and the My Cloud should work.

Configuring the ActionTec GT784WNV, which I assume is being used with Verizon, for Bridge Mode is a bit complicated. The second router (Xiaomi Mini Router) will need to support PPPoE login authentication. Note by putting the ActionTec GT784WNV into Bridge Mode it may cause problems with other Verizon services or Verizon hardware on the local network.

Basically what happens is this. When the ActionTec GT784WNV is put into Bridge Mode it effectively turns the ActionTec GT784WNV router into a dumb modem that passes the broadband connection to the second router. The second router does the PPPoE Verizon login using the user’s Verizon login information. The second router also runs the DHCP sever for the network and provides the DNS/WINS info out to the network clients. It appears its very important to release the ActionTec GT784WNV IP prior to setting it up a Bridge Mode. See the following post from another website, that generally explains how to configure a slightly different Actiontec router into Bridge Mode that should be the same or similar to the process for puttin gthe ActionTec GT784WNV into Bridge Mode.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27222605-

Unfortunately some broadband providers make it difficult to put their routers into true Bridge Mode. Often times one is stuck putting their router (the second router) into the DMZ zone of the broadband provider’s router.

A second option is to leave the ActionTec GT784WNV unchanged/unmodified. And to change the settings of the Xiaomi Mini Router. Start by disabling the DHCP server on the Xiaomi Mini Router. Then configure the Xiaomi Mini Router so that it has a static IP address rather than DHCP address, and give it a static IP address in the same IP address subnet, but outside of the range of IP addresses used by the ActionTec GT784WNV’s DHCP server for DHCP clients. Then connect the Ethernet cable from one of the four yellow networking ports on the ActionTec GT784WNV to one of the two networking ports, left hand networking ports on the image below, on the Xiaomi Mini Router. You do not connect it to the Blue Internet port on the right in the image below. Then connect the My Cloud to the other networking port on the left in the image below.

Depending on the settings for the Xiaomi Mini Router the Wifi on the Xiaomi Mini Router should work without making any changes.

Thanks Bennor, it’s a nice job and I have never thought router can connect like that way, very interesting perhaps because I am not an IT engineering or GEEK, no offensively. I checked that bridge guide, to plug WD MyCloud into DSL modem is the easiest way for me and it does work very well, the only concern for me is the security. Looks like put the MyCloud into modem make it directly connected with internet, though the Modem has a basic firewalll (NAT). I am wondering if there is a tuition for how to make MyCloud more safer given that it’s also a Debian OS. Every time when I access MyCloud from outside by a simple ID without SMS conformation, I just feel it’s quite unsafe.

Because the ActionTec GT784WNV is ROUTER in addition to being modem, anything you connect to it while it is configured in non bridge mode will be behind the ActionTec GT784WNV’s firewall. Generally anything behind the router firewall (and not in the router’s DMZ zone) will not be accessible to those outside your local network unless; they gain access to your WiFi connection because it hasn’t been secured, or tap into your wired Ethernet Lan connection which requires physical access to your local network, or the router is configured to pass traffic from the Internet through to the local network device.

The ActionTec GT784WNV modem/router has the following features; 802.1x authentication, IP address filtering, Intrusion Detection System (IDS), MAC address filtering, MIMO technology, Multiple SSID support, NAT support, Quality of Service (QoS), RADIUS support, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), TR-069 Agent, DHCP server, URL filtering, Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) support, Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), firewall protection, port forwarding, DMZ port, DNS server, Denial of Service (DoS), DiffServ support, DoS attack prevention, IGMP proxy, IGMP snooping. Many of those features work to prevent unauthorized remote access to your local network.

For starters if you haven’t already done so you should read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) to understand how the device works. In particular how one can enable or disable Remote Access and how to password protect Shares.

If you want to have Remote Access to the My Cloud then you are opening up a potential security hole in one’s local network to allow internet traffic to pass through the router’s firewall to the My Cloud. There are several prior threads that discuss potential security issues with the My Cloud. See this thread/post for several of those threads.

https://community.wd.com/t/are-data-exchanges-ciphered/152977/2

Perhaps you should step back and look at what exactly your trying to do with the My Cloud. Why did you purchase it? What do you want to do with it? Do you really need to use two routers? What do you gain by using two routers? Read through the WD My Cloud User Manual to understand what the device can do and how to enable or disable Remote Access and other security features.

Thanks Bennor, I am honoured you gave me such a detailed explanation and guide. I really appreciate for it very much!