No access after firmware update

Continuing the discussion from New Release - My Cloud DL2100/DL4100 Firmware Version 2.10.310 (10/21/2015):

After installing the new firmware, first everything worked fine. But then I turned off the NAS and the trouble began…

Turning it on again, the normal boot process started and finished. But at the end the power LED turns red (not blinking! – a state which is not documented in the manual!) – the HDD LEDs stay blue. I cannot get any access to the NAS, the dashboard or the saved network paths. However the plex server seems to be
running, but I can’t play any videos.

So I unplugged the external HDD to test if there is a problem with this setup. Normal boot process and LED stays blue. However I still can’t get any access to dashboard, etc. Plex server seems to be running, but of course I can’t play any videos because they are located on the external hard drive.

Now what can I do? How can I get access to the NAS?
It is really annoying because all my photos are stored on the device and I can’t finish my work!

I have two 3TB REDs in RAID 1 configuration.

constant RED power LED means : NO IP ADDRESS asigned by DHCP server

I agree with that. When I turn my router off the power button goes red. When I turn the router back on the power button goes blue. Check the network connection.

thanks for the answers. However why do I see the plex server then in my network?
My router works fine, Smart TV, PC over cable are accessible, Wifi also works as always. What could be the problem? It’s definitely a problem since the firmware update.

well you say you can see the plex server but not actually play any files. I think the plex icon may simply be left over from a previous network discovery.

I would unplug the external which gave you a blue power light then look in your dhcp server and see if you can determine what IP the box has. Then try http://ip_addy and see what happens.

Can you access to the Plex server over web UI?

I can imagine that this is simply a buffered name and you cannot access the server anyway. Both file sharing and media streaming are IP services but most TVs buffer the dlna- or media server that was conencted.

Check if the network cable, maybe the cable is not plugged into the port correct. Press a bit, if you hear a click, your cable fast not plugged in completely.

I appreciate your answers. But of course I checked all these “obvious” things. NAS-DL2100 has an IP, I can see this in my router dashboard. If type in the IP, I cannot connect. “Problem loading page”

My videos are stored on the external HDD, but my music is saved directly on the NAS. I can access these files directly over PC, Smart TV app, iPad app and so on (all Plex).

DL2100 should be accessible, it’s in the network and has an IP. But it’s not :frowning:
I tried several browsers and the “WD quick view” shows me that it is there, but I can’t access or get temperature information or usage.

How can I revert to the old firmware? Everything was working fine. What happens if I use the reset button. All data lost?

No need to revert, simply do a power cycle - maybe the internal web server has hickups. You are using DL, so please press the power button on the front twice within one second, this will shutdown the DL. Wait until it’s off and then power it up again - I bet it is working then.

BTW: power cycle or switching off an Expert Series EX2100 / EX4100: keep pressing the power button for two seconds.

Well I powered it down and restarted several times now. That doesn’t change anything!

For me the question is: why is the power LED blue WITHOUT the external HDD, and red with it connected? That doesn’t make sense at all!

And as an update: with the HDD connected the NAS suddenly has 2 IP addresses! If I power down (hold the power button for some seconds) and reboot without the HDD I have only one. But either way I can’t access the dashbord or access any files over the explorer.

well the issue with the IP addresses probably occurred because I tried the other LAN-port on the DL2100

This means something went wrong with the mounting of the external drive. Open the Web interface and check what message is shwon under the USB icon in the upper part of the web interface. There you should have an error message appearing.

hehe, Joerg, you are aware that accessing the web interface is the whole problem of my post? I can’t do anything, except accessing the plex server!

No, honestly I am not aware what of the described problems above is the initial one. :innocent:
Too many issues from several corners mixed here, I lost the central theme.

My personal way would beto kick the box back to its starting point by doing a reset.to-default; keep pressing the reset button for at least 30 seconds during bootup, the a syste,-reset-to-default is done. After this, open the web interface and type in your admin credentials again. Sorry for not offering anything else at this stage but let’s start from scratch. I have no clue what is going on with all the different issues. Let’s solve one after the other.

Yes, I am not alone, I think it’s a firmware problem, but I really would like to reset and try that solution. What happens with all the data on my RAID then?

Nothing will happen to the data on the drives as the System-Restore is a cold restart for the operating system. The admin account settings will be set back to default (no admin account). You need to re-setup the admin account but all stored data will stay untouched.

Data erasure only happens with a Full Restore but this option is available ONLY from within the Web interface and cannot be triggered by using the reset button at the backside of the chassis.

Where is this procedure officially documented?

I am not sure where it is documented, but it is the same procedure I used on my dl4100 when it went nasty.

Only needs one poke of the switch. About three seconds later the DL begins to shut-down. That’s how it works on mine.

That’s the official answer of WD Support, it’s documented in knwoledge base articles and here in the forum too.