Problem after FW update 2.11.140

The device is DL2100. operating flawless as office NAS till this morning when I logged in the dashboard and spotted that there is new firmware version. I clicked on install and reboot, the device downloaded the firmware, installed and rebooted.
However since then it will not boot up. Blue power LED is blinking, dashboard is not accessible, also the shares are not accessible. After leaving it on for 30min, I powered it off by holding the power button. then switched on again - situation is the same.

What are the safe next steps? It is crucial that no information is lost from the drives.
Please advice.

As it was critical for the office workflow, I had to deal with the situation and did following:
Normal reset would not do anything (just does not reset)
I performed reset via the hardware reset button 40s while pluging in the power supply and thus performing system only restore. Succeeded but:

• configuration was gone, raid was gone
  • uploaded backup of the configuration - OK
  • the unit reported the Raid was corrupted, but managed to rebuild it in 20min.
  • after rebuilding it reported the drives were Roaming (not created with this NAS) after confirming to take ownerwhip of the drives, everything was OK
  • noinformation lost
    The only thing I had to do manually was to create new Internal backup rulles (I have many, and all were gone)
    also the cloud acess was dissabled and needed to configure from scratch for every user…

In conclusion:
worked half day with the NAS problem, just because let it upgrade its firmware.
My advice is never upgrade the firmware if everything is working OK…

Hello, I’m sorry to read that you had issues with the drive, normally the firmware upgrades go without issues, did something happened to the network connection while the drive was performing the upgrade?

I do 3 things before a Firmware update.

1. Make a backup
  2. Make sure I am using a UPS to keep power up
  3. (never have auto update set ) and download the firmware .bin to a computer and update the firmware from that file.

It is good to know all the recovery steps you took worked out well

I have been having the exact same problem since installing this upgrade. There must be something wrong with it.

Ironically, the upgrade said it was to fix a problem with failed usb backups, which I had only occasionally prior to this, but since the upgrade, the backup always fails. Now, the NAS won’t even finish booting. I tried power cycling yesterday and it came up but, after it shutdown overnight (built-in power schedule), it hasn’t rebooted - power light blinking.

So far, the SW that WD has put out for these MyCloud NAS drives has been terrible. Smartware was very slow and unreliable and now this. Not impressed.

how many disks are you using and have you added any extra memory ?

and take a look at this WD link

you will note the new 120 watt power supply

• I had a few strange lock up on the older firmware that ended with a different power unit . I use four 4 TB red drives with original memory.

My DL2100 is with 2 Red HDD and no extra RAM
original power supply 48W on online UPS, as is the whole network and PCs.

As a consequence now after the FW update, everything is working but when I login in the dashboard the Home tab would take forever to load and would freeze loading it. The only remedy to do anything in the Dashboard is immediately after login to click on some other tab e.g shares so it does not freeze but switch to that tab in few minutes!!!
Before the FW update, Dashboard was loading fast and would not freeze.

There is some problem with the firmware, at least for me.

Hi Cordorb,

I’m using a My Cloud Mirror NAS (2x2TB) and recently added 2 4TB My Book USB drives, because I was running out of room. I wanted to use the 2 USB drives to archive the Mirror NAS contents every so often. The first copy went fine but the copy never completed on the 2nd unit. When I installed the FW update, which said it would cure this problem, I was hopoing that was the case but, since then, the NAS hasn’t managed to boot up successfully.

Will a power supply revolve this? If each USB drive has its own power supply, I don’t see why the NAS was/is affected,

Thanks!

Steve