MyCloud (old version)

I have changed my laptop and I want to link MyCloud. Because of the change of WD’s support for this due to the OS upgrade I can no longer access the files via the internet.
My Windows File Explorer identifies the drive but asks me for my Windows Network Credentials. Where can I find this?
Alternatively, as my new laptop does not have an ethernet port, can I connect via a Ethernet / USB cable, if such a one exists?
It seems that the last resort would be to open up the MyCloud case and use the drive as an ‘normal’ external drive.
Than ks - and I’m not a computer techie!

@Philip4946
Is your device connected to your router/home network? What is your home network password?

Have you turned off internet access in the dashboard and given your WDMYCLOUD a static address?

My 1st generation My Cloud is used on my home network. See image below.

First, make sure SMB1.0/CIFS and File Sharing is enabled in Windows. Also make sure to set the Windows Network Profile to Private and not Public.

Enable File Sharing Support on My Cloud, Home & Passport in Windows
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/4155

Then access the My Cloud Dashboard using a web browser. You can review the settings for the My Cloud device including setting Shares to either Public or Private and seeing what Users have been added, what Private Shares they have access too, and what the user’s password is (or one can reset a User’s password). Generally it is best to configure the My Cloud administrator account to have full read right access to all Private Shares.

Single-Bay My Cloud OS 3 Dashboard Access
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/15104

Note: Windows generally will only allow a single User account (user name/password) to access Shares on the My Cloud that are configured for Private.

You may also want to read through the My Cloud User Manual to learn more about your device and how to operate it. See the Support link at top of page where you can drill down for the user manual for your My Cloud device.

You can access the My Cloud using WiFi provided the My Cloud is connected to the WiFi router/gateway. The My Cloud generally is connected directly to the local network WiFi router/gateway not directly to one’s computer. If you want to use an Ethernet network connection on a computer that doesn’t have an Ethernet network port, one can buy a USB or USB-C to Ethernet adapter from either local or online retailers. There are plenty of options for USB to Ethernet adapters available.

I have an old My Cloud as well and i’m having a hard time accessing my folders and data on the device through either connection to the router or directly to my laptop. The process to connect to the device just takes forever, and once connected it would often get disconnected.

Should I also change the Internet setting to static in the dashboard? If so, what is the static IP address I should change it to? What about the Netmask? I have attached a screenshot.

Thank you!

@TriumphKai

My addresses are set by my router, and I reserve, make them static there.

Here is what I have set in the Dashboard.

If you have your device connected to your router do you connect using its name? Example
\\WDMYCLOUD

Thank you all for your replies.

However, I’d got it all sorted.

All I had to do was to do a hard 40 second restart of the OS v3 MyCloud,

The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:

• Admin User Name (default = “admin”)*
  • Admin Password (No password by default)*
  • Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)*
  • SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 04.xx.xx-xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” and “welc0me”)*
  • SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 2.xx.xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” no default password, new password enforced)*
  • Remove all Users except Admin*
  • All Share permissions (default = Public)*
  • Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)*
  • Network Mode (default = DHCP)*
  • Remove all Alerts*
  • mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)*
  • Mobile app account association (default = not configured)*
  • WD Sync association (default = not configured)*
  • Backup jobs (default = not configured)*
  • Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)*

To execute the 40 Second Reset:

• Power down the device and remove the power cord from the device*
  • Using a paperclip or narrow tipped pen, press and hold the reset button*
  • While continuing to hold the reset button, reconnect the power cord to the device and continue to hold the reset button for at least 40 seconds*
  • After releasing the reset button the device will reboot*

I then just set up a new Admin password, and “Bob’s your uncle!” was able to log in.

Philip

How to reset the password for the existing account on my old mycloud, I am trying to reset one and WD website is giving me hard time to do one.