My Passport Wireless Pro won't recognize SD/USB anymore after using MyCloud app

Hi,
I bought a few days ago My Passport Wireless Pro, and I was ready to ask a replacement because SD cards and external USB drive were recognized only once in a while, when I found something weird I couldn’t see reported in other treads.

It seems like that after the wireless hard disk is accessed through the app “MyCloud” (I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S7), it somewhat became unable to read external USB or SD card. I’m not just saying that I cannot see the contents of the SD/USB on the app, it’s actually the hard disk that won’t mount them because even the automatic backup or the backup from SD card triggered by the button doesn’t work. This problem won’t go away even by powering off and on the hard drive, it still won’t recognize external storage.

The thing that solves the issue is opening the dashboard from a PC (I have a surface with windows 10). After you open the dashboard, the drive will became once again able to read SD/USB. This will work without even powering off/on the device.

Fortunately I can still access the files on my smartphone through the FTP connection (in that case the hard disk will keep mounting the units fine), but I cannot configure it for example to connect on a different WiFi network.

At these conditions it’s still usable for me, but I guess this is quite a big bug, I’m the only one experiencing it or it’s a common issue? I hope it will be solved soon, because if the hard disk for some reasons would go on the app-caused-dumb-state while I’m travelling without the PC (main reason why I purchased this product) I would have a hard time restoring its functionality…

Does the WD support read this forum or I should report the bug elsewhere? Let me know if I could do some other tests or provide other data to clarify the issue.

Have you referred to the complete user manual at all? You need it no matter what, so you understand the device better. Downloadable from WD Support for you device.

Also, you seem to be having unusual issues and should contact WD Support directly. This is a user to user forum.

I’ve throughly red the user manual but found nothing about it… At first I thought I was doing something wrong but that wasn’t the case

Thank you for your reply, I will contact support

Hello, I have the same problem after using the andriod app. After connecting to iOS app begins to works again.

I did some test and I noticed that not every android phone do this problem. My xiaomi mi 5 do it an other xiaomi mi A1 don’t.

To resolve the problem is also possible to connect to the dashboard in Chrome with the same phone and restart. After works until I use again the app.

1 Like

thank you! connecting to the dashboard from my phone worked to me. Now I can rest easy even when I bring with me the hard disk without the computer

1 Like

Hello! I have the same problem.
But I can not access the dashboard from my smartphone. I have Android and use Chrome.
Can you give me some indication?

Thanks so much!

Emanuele

Connect to the hard disk wireless network and use the following link on your phone’s browser:
http://192.168.1.143/UI

Thank you!! Wonderful!

Just spent half a day figuring out the exact same problem (I have a OnePlus 6) but would never have thought of this workaround. Awesome - thanks! :slight_smile:

This is a serious bug for all Adroid devices (from 6 to 9 s.o. version). If you accidentally open the app from your smartphone and then you have to save files from some media in an area where you are without wifi internet connection, you can launch the WD!

I contacted the assistance and they told me not to know at the moment solve this problem.
Even if someone else has already figured out where the bug is going …

Hi :slight_smile:

I wanted to fill a bug report to explain the issue and the fix to WD team I was discouraged by the administrative burden you have to go through before starting to fill a request…

Feel free to pass them my post above with the solution it this can help them to understand and fix the issue :slight_smile:

A good alternative to make the transfer from SD and USB work by using the app for Android is to continue using the previous firmware (1.03.04).
I did this test today and it works great.

Confident for a new firmware with correction of this bug.

No, excatly the same bug for me. And WD support do NOTHING to solve that issue.
We are 5 months later from reporting that bug and…?
I was also writing about that isse here: SD IMPORTS doesn't work if we are not connected to PC via WiFi - #3 by WdUser2018

That issue makes my disc completely unuseful…

How you downgrade the firmware?