My cloud will not connect to Router

I just purchased the 4tb My Cloud and cannot connect it via my Pace 1568nv router.

There is no link lights on the My Cloud, i have tried multiple Cat cables. The same cables work when i connect the same wires directly to my PC. 

For some reason my router will not recognize the My Cloud. 

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Is the WD getting powered up?   (LED on Front Panel is on).   If not, perhaps a bad power supply.

If not, then, although it’d be pretty rare, I would assume you have a dead NIC on your Cloud.  Exchange it for a new one.

The  My cloud is getting power and the NIC does work.

I can connect if directly to my PC and gain access to it.

The front LED flashes yellow whe hooked up to the router and blue when hooked up to my PC.

Do you shut it down prior to moving the connection from computer to router or router to computer and then do a restart?

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

This is a network cable issue, I think

For the manual:

Attention Yellow Blink The following circumstances trigger this state: • Disk thermal warning threshold exceeded (under or over temp) • Network cable not inserted

Are you using the exact same cable to connect to the PC as to the router? For example, the cable that came with the My Cloud?

And to re-confirm, you can plug another device (e.g., laptop) into that exact same port on the router with that exact same cable and it works?

If you are, then the router needs a different cable - some cables have wires crossed and some cables have wires that don’t cross. The default cables sold at stores are crossed. You may need a straight through cable.

If you are using different cables to connect in your tests, get rid of the cable you are using when you got the yellow blicnking lihght and substitute a known good network cable.

It sounds like your router can’t auto-negotiate a network speed with the NAS. Is the router old? Is it 1Gb capable? You might want to try setting either the NAS or the router port to either 100Mb or 1Gb manual mode, not auto-negotiate. Some older devices don’t do it very well.

Was there any resolution to this issue? 

colewalker wrote:

The  My cloud is getting power and the NIC does work.

I can connect if directly to my PC and gain access to it.

The front LED flashes yellow whe hooked up to the router and blue when hooked up to my PC.

If you are using the exact same cable to connect MC to PC as MC to router then the solution will be found at the router. Page 10 of the user manual defines a blinking yellow light as either 1) disk thermal watning or 2) network cable not inserted. Personally I would expand that to include the other end of the cable is not inserted> Have you tried a different port on your router?> Have you accessed your router’s administrator page? … probably using a web browser pointing to 192.168.1.1> I can manipulate the individual port settings on my router (speed and duplex), you might be able to do a similar task on your router.

Hey thanks for the response. So I have tried everything I can think of. My MC is in a cool spot and the cable from the MC to PC is the same cable from the MC to router. I have a Pace 5168 and on the admin page, I do not see any options for the ethernet switches but a selection of on or off. I tried to setup the MC with a static address within the router’s range, but still cannot get the lights on the back of the MC to light up when the cable spans from the MC to the router. The lights all come on when I have the cable span from the PC to the MC. In admin, I cannot disable the firewall. What exactly was your resolution with your Pace? You were able to keep DHCP settings as defaulted in the router and MC?

@ aerobatix31   asked  "What exactly was your resolution with your Pace? You were able to keep DHCP settings as defaulted in the router and MC? "  

I inadvertently mislead you to the assumption that I had the same router as you, my apologies. I have an Actiontec router used in Verizon FiOS for my home. I did keep the DHCP settings. If this is an ATT router they might have hidden many functions as did Verizon on my router. I actually decided prior to installing WD MC to purchase a 10/100/1000 switch to hard wire my computers directly rather than messing with Verizon and their heavy handed policies.

Did you attempt to connect your computer to the port on the router that MC wouldn’t work on? You may simply have a bad port on the router.

Well thanks for the response. The router is not manufactured by ATT but my ISP uses some of the same routers. In the admin settings for my Pace 5168, I do not see options to change port settings besides on or off. I have decided to use my ISP’s Geek Squad to help me out. Given I had no problems with the Pace 4111, I figured this had to be simple (like resetting the IP address on the MC) but after many hours of different configurations (resetting the MC, resetting the router, swapping cables, and trying different ports), I am giving up.  I have decided to use my ISP’s Geek Squad to help me out.

Any resolution to this? I seem to have the same exact issue.  My ISP isn’t exactly helpful, either…

Has anyone in this thread been able to resolve the issue that seems to be common with the Pace 5168NV. I just picked up the WD My Cloud and it will not connect to my network. I have the blinking lights and rear LED has no light at all. The ethernet cable is not the issue as I can plug it straight into my Macbook Pro and the MC turns solid blue. I’ve tried all the ports on my router and still nothing; the ports don’t seem to be the issue as other devices are working fine from them. 

The problem seems to be with the 5168NV itself not communicating with the MC. Does anyone know a way to force them to become friends? I can go into my router settings but the only port options are to enable/disable them. The 5168NV is capable of Gigabit ethernet so I don’t know what else might be the issue. 

Additionally, I’ve had no problems connecting wired/wireless devices of any kind (Windows PC/Mac, iPad, mobile devices, smart TV, bluray, game systems, printers, etc.) to this gateway router until now with the My Cloud. 

Just for completeness, this is almost certainly another autonegotiation problem between router and MyCloud Ethernet devices. See this thread for details and workaround:

I solved it. Connect the mc to an pc with cable. Got to wdmycloud.local in a browser when blue light on mc. It will show the dashboard wait until scan is done. Go to firmware download on the wd hompage. Download correct version. In dashboard update firmware manually with the file. Shutdown. Move it to router with cable and wait until blue light takes some time(15min) Now go to wdmycloud in browser (do not use .local) if not working go to router map and find ip for mc there and type ip in browser.