My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

It’s ridicolous, at least I should be able to decide what, where, how and when I want to share someting.

Right now there’s no chance to select which folders to share neither which file types to index, and that’s the most basic function, I can’t even call it “feature” because it shouldn’t be for a NAS device.

This is happening when they do not listen to customer but they do what they think it’s cool.

There’s a common pattern here, it reminds me a bit of the old Blizzard story.

Hmmm. Interesting: rebooting the gadget makes the process really better and quicker, or we risk to start it over again?

Tried the reboot but seems it was not finished (after a week), although besides the memory there was no indication it was indexing. So it seems it’s started again :frowning: . This time the message is saying update in progress. We working on improving the performance of your NAS device. Do not unplug your device from power. This may take a while - your content is safe.

So seems I have another week of fun but frankly if what I am seeing in the thread is true that we can’t do the basic actions we could in OS3 then I am also off shopping.

EDIT- after 10min the app came back and is now responding fast. To be far, very fast. The unit is still using 80% memory and the drives are running hot but the app in terms of performance is back. So the reboot did the trick.

Thanks Jorvic!
Same as you, I decided that after 5 days of unstopped indexing and complete freeze of the web apps, i have nothing to loose if i try to reboot.
Results:
1.Both Mobile app and Web site access is now unfrozen and working as quick as in OS3
2. Index is keep running and I have no idea if it starts over again, or continue. But frankly speaking, I don’t care, since I can finally use the EX2ultra remotely again.
3. Mobile App is step back from OS3: you cannot copy (only move), you can move only inside the root folder ( they call it “share”), not to the separate root folder (“share”)

Hope it helps somebody :slight_smile:

PS. Logically, I dont believe that after reboot index started from zero point, otherwise I cannot see and manipulate with my folders and files in the moble/web app.

Yup, I can confirm this to be the case with my device too (a reboot fixing the non responsive device). It currently sounds like it’s ready to take off from the shelf it sits on, but the app works again, and more importantly I can back up my files from the office again (remotely). Still not perfect but usable at the moment. No clue how long the unit will last with everything running on high speed but my mind has been made up that I will need to dump this device for a different one anyway so let it turn itself inside out for all I care. For now it’s working. I’ll make sure my secondary portable drive has mirrored the EX2 Ultra in the mean time.

I know we are all in the same pain.
As a data point I wanted just to share my information.

I have a 16GB Ram setup WDPR4100 24TB in a RAID10 setting.
The machine is using between 80-100% CPU and 80-90% RAM for indexing since almost one week 24/7 and still indexing.
I can access, upload and download files.
Fan is running constantly. temperatures are 33-35 Degrees 24/7

No chance to check anywhere on progress.
No chance to determine, when the indexing will finish.

In terms of “rebooting” and “Reindexing”; after the initial indexing process has completed. . .

• I think when you restart the device; it will check for CHANGED files; and only index CHANGES. It may do that periodically as well if you don’t reboot.

• From what I have seen, turning cloud services On/off does not reset restart indexing from scratch. (it will index changes. . .)

• Doing a System Restore (4 second reset) will reinitialize indexing and the unit will start more-or-less from scratch.

And yes. . . .truly indexing should be at the DIRECTORY, not the SHARE level of the unit.

Facing the same thing. So ■■■■ annoying. Terrible terrible software.

…Have no patience any more after one week of constant noise and troubles with inet access. Plan to order Synology in this weekend and switch my data into the new home.
What a pity end with WD long,long story

Same here… I need to configure OpenVPN to access my data out of home… Is indexing since Monday and I don’t know when it will finish. I have 20 years of photos there and still miss 6 years at least. I am thinking about disable web access and use owncloud for that… WD really lose a lot with this new “beautiful” but not so functional way… I really don’t care about thumbnail… its only useful to make your web access more slow…

Hi all
We have news from WD !! It’s here : Update on My Cloud OS 5 Feedback
I love the comment saying “Please be patient to let this process complete.”
For me, the NAS is still indexing after 6 days… my patience having limits and Synology having good products, I will order it before the end of the WD indexing.

1 Like

We should buy Synology stocks : I’m sure they will increase their results in the coming weeks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:sunglasses: yes, indeed!
I would not be surprised to hear some conspiracy theory about a secret agent, who was sent by competitors to the WD programmers team to crash NAS business by OS5 update!:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Such a dirty club

I demand from WD clear information when update fixing this mess will be available. No “be patient”, “soon” or public relation speech but a specific date!
I check update twice a day and I’m tired of waiting!

2 Likes

10 days i’d update, 10 days indexating, i’ve disabled web acces for time machine, public shares… no transmission, it’s too!!! i’ve buy a synolgy ds220j, i wait about it, i’ll transfer all my datas to new nas and return wd !!! finish, never a wd !

3 Likes

I wonder if the WD guys are willing to refund in case of broken mycloud and / or hard drives as the temperature has risen over 50% centigrade and has been going on for almost 10 days. When will this process end (about 4TB of data)? I can no longer backup from another device via rsync because it gives me an error for lack of space!! I knew the WD mycloud was a toy, but now it’s also an useless one, just to throw away. Shame!!! This superficiality in understanding the impacts of your choices on customers is really far from the concept of customer care … BYE BYE

1 Like

After 48 hours of indexing, I decided to stop the procedure by dissabling cloud access.
For the two days, NAS had 50% CPU load and HDD temp <40C.
Just borrowed to wait.

Our WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra has been indexing for 4 days so far (1m files)… sda/sdb is ~95% disk util causing slowness. I won’t stop it even if unit is hot. Rebooting restarts the indexing cycle from scratch.

With a putty ssh terminal, run the below linux commands to observe %util refreshed every 60sec:

iostat -x 60

Estimation of completion is unclear… It can run for weeks for all that matters. NAS will be very slow until this is complete.

My Cloud EX2 Ultra 3TB has been rebuilding the indexes for 2-weeks. I only have .81TB of data on the devise. I have now Cloud Access.