My Cloud is not showing up on the network

I just bought a My Cloud.  It is easy to hook up to the router and to the electric socket. LED light is on and steady.

I went to  http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=product&device=mc.  The setup does not find the WD My Cloud.

Obvisously, my internet connection is fine. 

Do you know what’s going on?  I am in London using BT Broadband, if that matters at all. 

Is the led blue and steady.

Are you saying that you downloaded the setup software from that page and it does not find your mycloud.

I assume that you are using the software on a computer which is on the same network as your mycloud.

Can you see your mycloud on your network from your computer.

What operating system are you running on your computer.

Thanks for responding.

Yes, the led is blue and steady.

Correct – I downloaded the setup software from that page and it does NOT find your mycloud.

Of course, I am using the software on the computer which is on the same network as the mycloud.  In fact, we have only one router in the house.

Even after all that, I cannot see my mycloud on my network from my computer.

I am using Windows 8 on my computer.

I would be so grateful if you a solution to this!!  Thanks in advance for taking your time.

Has this been resolved? 

What was the solution? I am having problems seeing my WD My Cloud device on the network. Was the solution returning the device?

Did you download and run the set up software?

Is your computer protected by a firewall?

Do you have network discovery turn on in your sharing center?

I had this problem when I first set up my unit.  Customer support did have me return and replace the unit.  The new unit installed and worked as expected.  Yesterday I began having the same problem.  LED is solid blue but unit is not visible on the network nor discoverable using the setup software.  I have power cycled the router and the unit and have done a physical reset.   I would really prefer not returning again.  Any other troubleshooting options? 

Bought my cloud product yesterday. Having read the positive reviews, I though the device will be user friendly, easy to use. 

In reality - nothing works like advertised. Firstly, the device is not seen on the network. I run the set-up guide downloaded from wd website. It stopped right in the beginning saying “No Wd My Cloud found”. Of course, checked all the obvious preconditions - led light, power, Ethernet ports, internet connection etc… I tried this in Wifi mode (Macbook connected to network via wifi).

Then, tried the same connecting laptop using Ethernet cable. Succeeded with finding device but got a new error message instead: “Can’t verify firmware”.  Not possible to get over this step.

Lastly, tried to set-up using wdmycloud.local. The page opened but permanently showed message “Attempting to authenticate”.

No solution found, so I packed the useless product and put it back in the shelf. 

1 Like

I bought my device early January & same problems. If you disconnect the power cord & reboot, it works fine & is visible on my network, unfortunatley, after a while, it disappears.

I contacted WD support & they told me it was my PC set up - I reset the PC to factory settings & tried again with the same issue. Re-contacting WD support, they told me to reset the drive to factory settinfs (this can be done on the dashboard but takes several hours). It started working fine after, then next day back to being invisible!

I’ve now taken it back to Memory express - they want to test it for 30 days which **bleep**, they want to find it faulty, but I’m sure they won’t as this seems to be a software issue.

I’ll post the results.

PS thus is sooooo frustrating!

Found this link on anther post.  I am running Windows7(64).  Another poster suggested running this discovery software.  Note, that powercycling did not work for me to rediscover the drive.  But using this software did.   Boo-ya.  

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=206&lang=en

Captain Panaka. Thanks for the comment. I did mention the issue has been discussed on various forums & it seemed to be a more common problem than we’d like. Memory express assured me they would find the problem (i really doubt it). I was disappointed as they only allow exchanges / refunds up to 7 days (which is useless if you want to be responsible & make efforts to sort the problem out, as I tried). After 7 days & up to 30 days, they’ll only exchange the product if they can prove it’s faulty. This process can take up to 30 days to test, so I have no drive for a month!

I think Memory express need to review their customer service policy.

Thanks for your comment & I’ll keep posting.

Steve

Slc girl I loaded the discovery software & desktop software before & the drive initially works fine, but after a few hours, or a day, the drive then disappears off the network. The removal & reinserting of the power cord on the drive resolved this, but the drive isn’t intended to be set up & you have to power it up each time you use it. I wonder if it goes in to sleep mode & there’s issues trying to snap it out of sleep mode?

Steve

Look in your router for the ip. In windows go to “Network” drives. If it is not showing click on “Network” and type “\'ip address”. After a few seconds the window may show the drive but will not if the drive software is really hosed; even with a blue LED.

1 Like

The reviews thing is very disappointing. Have to think that over.

Everyone, we are coming out with a firmware update for the WD My Cloud within the next two weeks to fix many of these issues.  However, you may not have had the same root cause that created the issue in your circumstance.  If that turns out to be the case, please make sure that you have correctly set up your WD My Cloud on your network.  If you need help with this, there is a link below to a knowledgebase article for setting up the WD My Cloud. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10439

1 Like

A new firmware update has been released.  Below are the fixes.  We will continue to work on other fixes and push them out as soon as we can.  Note: If you are still experiencing problems, please post them in the new firmware board. 

Issues Resolved:

• Resolved issue of dropped mobile cloud access connections after updating to firmware 03.03.01-156.
  • Resolved issue of a scheduled safepoint update that does not run automatically.
  • Resolved issue of device performance degradation caused by certain MPEG-4 (MOV/MP4) video formats used to record slow motion videos.
1 Like

Hi Steve1957 I had the same problem and I disconected from the power then it worked fine, but I was wondering if your problem was solved, or you have to do everytimes you have had this issue. 

It a little shocked that the cloud supouse will work when you are away your home, but not it looks like I have to be at home to connect and disconnect every time when I have this problem.

Any suggestions?

Bought my drive on 2/15/14 -

Installed your new firm ware on 2/24/2014 and set the drive up

It worked for about 30 hours before it disappeared from the cloud and my network.

Here is my info: –

The My Cloud Drive:   P/N WDBCTL0030HWT-00  [Deleted - Trancer] (3-TB Drive).

1. It is a wired connection

2. The local computers are all wired (4 of them)

3. Running Windows 8 on two computers - Win Vista and Win-7 on the other two.

4. I have worked through the Knowledge Base and the suggested links for the installation software and the Appendix B: Troubleshooting of the manual.

5. I have tried a static IP.

RESULTS:

No matter what the configuration, eventually the drive will become non responsive (steady Blue Light and Green network light) and I can find the drive on the router, the router shows that the drive is linked up, I can find the drive on all four computers - it shows up on each and every computer. HOWEVER, I can not access the drive from any of the computers, the connection times out.

I cannot find the drive using the WD Quickview or Discovery software – EVEN THOUGH the drive shows up in the Windows File Explorer list under Network.

WARM RESET (pushing reset button while powered up) ---- doesn’t work

POWER OFF (unplug wait 30-seconds then plug it back in) – this will get the drive back, for a while not permanently.

I see that this has been going on for a long time - sure wish the online reviews I read before purchase had this information in them!!!   

:–(

1 Like

Hi Jasmendoza.

Each time the drive disappeared, I rebooted (via power disconnection) & it restores the drive. Unfortunately this needs doing each time. If the drive disconnects when you’re away from it, you’re stuffed.

1 Like

Steve1957

Please read thread http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Workaround-for-Disconnect-Problem-Works-for-all-my-and-my/m-p/700454#M10078 , the last post by Greenspangle , this might solve your issue.

There are plenty of threads on the board that deal with this known issue. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

And me to the list. It worked fine until yesterday. On the phone for 2 hours and the tech was lost. Wasted a whole day trying to get this back on the network.
**bleep** happened? And does anyone there even care???
PhilB

1 Like