Can i smash my wdcloud please.....reboot every 20 mins

Before I start, I have researched other users ideas and think I have tried them all. Two weeks ago, my wdcloud started dropping off my network every 20 mins. I have to reboot it it every time.
I tried the following…
Changed router to nighthawk from Plusnet standard router. no difference
Via dashboard, changed settings from DHCP to Static and back again. no difference
Turned on ftp services (and off again) no difference
Tried using my windows laptop to access in via network (when rebooted works) no difference
Access via plex and nvidia shield ( works then have to power off and reboot to use)
made sure time was correct.
use file commander and Es file explorer to find it as as FTP it doesn’t (it used to)
.I used to be able to get to the media files via a site´that used to pop up called twonky, I cant find that anymore so cant copy files to another device and do a full reset, as I do not want to loose all my movies and music. (I have done the 4 second and the 40 second reboot on the wd unit).
You get the picture…

The device goes offline after 20 mins and i pull power cord,reboot it then it can be accessed by all my devices, laptop,nvidia shield,mobile phone etc. it then pops off and start all over again. I really want to do a full reset, however how the hell do I get the media off as to move or copy will take an overnight job and as discussed it wont stay on that long…
three days later I am screaming at this machine, whats wrong with it:::
any ideas…I am not in It so I am learning as I proceed via articles on web.
At mo its back to DHCP, ftp access on I can see it with everything…but in 20 mins…bye bye…actually just checked,its one again whilst writing this. Reboot time… as a foot note its half an hour later and now a new phenomena…the wd cloud appears connected via router management page (it is on network diagram) my laptop can see the wd cloud (but no access) and no dashboard can be found-file via ip address. es file explorer on my android phone sees a folder on the LAN section with the ip address of the wd cloud, but no access…this is driving me nuts…pull power out of wd cloud again…

When the My Cloud “drops off the network”, what do the LAN LED’s on the back of the My Cloud indicate? Is the front LED of the My Cloud still solid Blue?

You may have to dig into the My Cloud logs to see if the problem is with the My Cloud or is being caused by some other issue on the local network.

thanks firstly for the response.
Front light is blue,
rear light bottom solid green.
rear light top blinking green.
appears to be functioning, however at present ( I haven’t rebooted it is appearing on LAN without access though) yet plusnet router says its not connected…
to access logs, do I do that via the dashboard? if so I will need to reboot.

You can either use SSH to access the firmware level of the My Cloud to review the logs or within the Dashboard select the ? icon then Support then Create and Save System Report to export a series of files and logs from the My Cloud.

Another troubleshooting step is to connect the My Cloud to a computer’s ethernet port and see if the issue persists.

If you have made any unofficial modifications to the My Cloud (using SSH) it is possible one of those mods may be causing problems.

just put the wdcloud drive into ethernet port on laptop, nada happens at all. Front light blue, rear lights static green.
Pulled out power cord for reboot, same again nada, apart from appearing as a z drive with ip address but a red cross through it to indicate not accessible and sending laptop into a paddy for a moment.

If you had the drive mapped before you connected directly to the My Cloud. The IP address
is different. The mapped drive should have a red X. Try to remap the drive using the new IP address.

this is where I get lost, how does one remap this thing…i will look on google to see what I can find as rebooting every 20 mins is making the air blue around my place and my computer screen covered in spit from shouting obscenities at all of this…

When you plug the My Cloud into the ethernet connector on the laptop what IP address
does the laptop assign to the My Cloud? That is the address that you use to map the drive.

Not saying that I’m correct but I’ll post up as though I am :stuck_out_tongue:

ok… stop pulling out the plug on the cloud and as much as I would agree on blaming it on WD, I am fairly sure that it has nothing to do with them or the device going on the fritz.

To prove my point Plug the ethernet cable directly into your laptop ethernet and map your drive that way to see how long it stays mapped.

Two things that you should do is turn off sleep. Although the device isn’t really sleeping, I’ve found that when the hard drive is powered down, sometimes the device just ignores you the first time around.

second thing that you should do is turn off all media scans, iTunes, plex if you managed to install it, DLNA and so on.

If when it is plugged into your laptop directly and it doesn’t drop off the network, then you might have an ip clash when it is connected to your network. That is when another device pops up on your network like your iPad, iPhone or something else and it has the same ip as your cloud, then one of your devices will pop off the network.

To troubleshoot something as annoying as this, pull everything off the network including all your wifi devices. Then just add your laptop and the cloud on the network to see how well it is working.

You might also try putting in a switch between the router and your local network. This will isolate your whole home from the router idiosyncrasies.

Another guess that I have is that your ip is being renewed every 20 minutes. Check into the renewal time and perhaps set it to a week or more.

Just throwing things out here, but if you have multiple routers, multiple DHCP might be causing a problem.

Also keep all USB devices unplugged from the Cloud. USB devices in the past has been known to lock up the cloud once in awhile.

So lastly, stop rebooting your cloud otherwise you might just end up bricking it because of all the resets you are doing. Unplugging and replugging the network cable should bring it back into the network.

Good Luck

Let us know how it goes and whether or not I’m right. If not, my apologies.

addendum: static ip has to be outside the IP list. eg. DHCP will have a range of tips that it can assign li from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100. Your static ip should be outside this range like 192.168.0.120. Also be careful that you are not using reserve at the same time as assigning a static. Reserve IP from the router requires that your cloud be set to DHCP and the same ip will be assigned every time you reboot your cloud.

Yeah has the feel of a renewal issue or an IP address conflict if everything else checks out. OP should access their router and check what the lease time/renewal time is. They should also see if anything else is joining the network at the same time the My Cloud goes offline. Like for example a mobile device joining the local network to check for email. That may indicate some kind of IP address conflict if the mobile device tries to pull the same address as the My Cloud. Not sure a Master Browser conflict on the local network would cause this type of problem but it’s something else to investigate.

For the OP, troubleshooting issues with the My Cloud can take some patience and some time. Like Ralphael indicated constantly unplugging the unit then powering it back on will only cause slowness issues as the My Cloud rescans the hard drive for data/media each time you power the device on unless you disable the media scans.

1 Like

Firstly, Thank you so much for taking the timeout to reply and try to help. Its very kind of you thank you.
Secondly, I have hard set my router. Then i hard reset my computer as my router appears as other device (plusnet hub1 router). Now I rebooted the hard drive and it appears as storage as when I first plugged it in, it did nothing. I will see if it stays reachable for longer than 20 mins. keep you posted,seriously I am with all you guys help going to beat this. One think I will mention the right had icon tells me that my laptop is connected via wifi to the internet, however the unidentified network is with no internet access is the ethernet port. I am assuming this is correct?

I clicked on the WDclous as storage, it took me to dashboard. I went to settings and noticed the that the time and date were incorrect, however it isn’t connected to the internet so I cant change those settings either.

and now 3 mins later the storage seems there but the acess from webpage is gone…
im so confused and frustrated with this.

What does this mean? Which webpage are you trying to access? The My Cloud Dashboard or the MyCloud.com web portal?

I was trying to access the wdcloud settings to change the time and date, but it would not allow me to do so as it said on the dashboard that the device was not connected to internet. Well the wdcloud has now disappeared from my laptop as storage anyway after 15 mins. So I am guessing its not a router conflict…

pulled ethernet cord out then put it back in. It has reapperaed as storage but clearly its not accessible as when i right click it says view device webpage then takes me to http://169.254.148.77/ which does not work. So not sure whats going on really its says storage but clearly its not working properly…unless i go down the reboot method. I wont do that based on your advice.

so light status blue at front. rear top flickering green rear bottom orange.

That would indicate the My Cloud is not getting an IP address from the local network router (assuming you have the My Cloud plugged into the router).

What is the brand/model of the router? Did you make any changes to the network recently? Like replace the router, move to a new broadband provider, etc.?

Not sure it’s been mentioned but as a troubleshooting step try connecting the My Cloud to a network switch and then connect the network switch to the router. Or try directly connecting the My Cloud to the computer’s Ethernet port and see if the issue persists.

Thanks for advice I have tried everything now, and nothing works. when I put the wd cloud straight into my computer nothing happens. When I put into a router iw works 2o mins then drops, when i use a remote connecting device / switch in same thing 20 mins or less device falls off network. Im guessing something is just wrong with the actual device. I want now to get whats on it off so I can do a full manufacturer reset. problem is if it falls off every 20 mins looks like i will loose my libabray 0f 700 movies and 1000s of songs.
gutted, fed up, stressed and deflated now…
never wd again.

If you connect the My cloud to your laptop and the led turns blue. That means you have a valid connection to the My Cloud. When you pull the cable and reconnect it you may get a different IP address.
When you pull out the network cable on a gen1 device the led starts flashing yellow. On the gen2 it turns solid red. When the cable is plugged back in the led turns blue on both Gen1 and Gen2 devices. That means the device has an ip address. You just need to figure out what it is. A lot of us have set up the router to reserve an IP address for the My Cloud. This way the My Cloud will always have the same IP address.