Can i smash my wdcloud please.....reboot every 20 mins

What do you mean “nothing happens”? Does the front LED on the My Cloud turn blue? When directly connected to the computer the My Cloud should automatically default (if it hasn’t been configured with a static IP in the My Cloud Dashboard) to using an IP address in the 169.254.x.x IP address range.

A blue front LED indicates the My Cloud is operating normally and should be accessible.

As a troubleshooting step you should try connecting the My Cloud to a cheap network switch then connect that switch to the router to see if the issue persists.

I’ll repeat, your My Cloud is an endpoint device. Just like your cell phone and the only thing that connects your friends to your cell phone is your phone number. Imagine that AT&T decides to change your phone number every 20 minutes. Your friends will think that you keep disappearing of which is not the case.

The only connection that you have between your PC and your Cloud is your network and if any of the connections including having other bad conflicting IP devices, you won’t be able to connect to your Cloud. Your cloud isn’t the one having the problems, it is your network.

I cannot stress how important that you have the correct date and time on both your router and My Cloud because just like your meeting with your boss, if you are to meet at a certain date and time, you won’t because either both or one of you have the wrong date and time. This is certainly one of your troubles and you may have more.

If your My Cloud is working at 20 minute intervals, then I’m fairly confident that there is nothing wrong with your My Cloud and would point my fingers at your network including your modem/router from your ISP.

Keep on troubleshooting and calling WD will most definitely not resolve your problem.

I hear you Ralphael,
I understand your point, but when I take my computer off line, insert the WD cloud into the Ethernet port why does nothing happen or appear, unless I reboot it, which then allows me to remap …and then disappear off my computer 20 mins later. That is nothing to do with IP?
I could understand if it just vanished off network (and I have tried the static IP route) but to initially not appear as a device on my laptop at all or only appear as a mapable drive after a power reboot, does suggest something else? The strange thing is, I have had no issues with my network at all, everything was running fine, the WD cloud was working as a FTP device and Plex on my shield as my media library, server. Then just one day it stopped being discovered as a FTP and now the aforementioned issues. If something works fine for 2 years, why would one day it all just suddenly the router decide to conflict, or stop its protocols. make no sense to me at all.
I have ordered a new router from Plusnet to be absolutely sure, that still doesn’t tell me why it wont stay connected to my laptop without the network involved.
Time Date issues are instantly resolved after a reboot on the network BTW.
Thanks all once again for trying to help, you are all top geezers for that.

Morning,
my TP link switch arrived this morning, I am testing now. Will keep you posted.Cheers for the input and support muchas gracias

So the switch helped for a bit but it may be just the reebot again. It showed on my system as a media device and i connected to the twonky server via the (visit web page right click mouse). It didn’t show all the media files that´s for sure, only a very small section of videos that are not part of the normal media I see.
It also appeared as storage, right clicked mouse visit web page and it took me to my wdcloud dashboard. I accessed it no problem.
It also let me map the drive into the network and access folders this way which showed all the different media files. I opened a movie, it played, I let it play for around ten mins and all was good.
after 20 mins, the storage became inaccessible, the twonky did not connect and it was not accessible via mapped drive.
Drive states its got the latest firmware and checked for updates. Device was purchased in Spain, but guessing updates are global not regional.
According to my router it is connected but device is now unknown. lights on wdcloud
Blue at front, flicking green rear top. static green rear bottom. so it appears to be all good
ip address static.
So it appears to be connected, but as before after 20 mins inaccessible via any route.
this is madness.
I will wait for new router to turn up, but i´m guessing that´s not the problem here.
well i have work to do…so speak later and once again thanks for taking time out to help.

So to you all. I tried a switch and as per my reply things went well…for 2o mins…
rebooted its on a separate static IP.
it was working fine,was visable,mapped drive appeared,twonky,media server and as storage…it was all golden…then… . this message just popped up on my laptop.

Power loss detected on port 1

so now I am investigating what this power loss is, it seems that many have had this problem,now to find the solution. I suspect that it is a wdcloud problem and not the router. Its strange as the first wd cloud I had, the power unit failed it still powers but only with a orange light at front and nada at the back, I was told it happens, but its rare…so I don´t want this to be a ´send of for repair job´. The first one was unfixable.
Any one dealt with this problem before?
regards
Adrian

What model of My Cloud do you have?

single bay, generation one wd cloud. 2 tb. on software version 2.30.193
just rebooted stayed on then went off with this message now
wdcloud Network link down or has become intermittent check your network connection.
bloody hell I am going to need a beer and go watch the football this is driving me nuts.

The gen1 does not use firmware 2.30.193. It uses 4.xx firmware. Next time
the device is rebooted. If you can get to the dashboard. Clock on the ? icon
then click on support. Then click on create and save. This will give you a
zip file that you can save to your PC. Then you can unzip the file and look at the logs.
Check the logs for error or network messages.

V2.x firmware on a single bay My Cloud means it’s second generation.

While extremely rare it’s possible the power adapter is going bad on the My Cloud. Some have found alternate adapter laying around their home that they used as a troubleshooting test on their My Cloud. If you don’t have a similar adapter laying around you may have to contact WD to see if they can send you a new power adapter.

Bennor you might be right, I have just got another adaptor and so far so good. Still on network as storage, accessible as mapped drive. Not appeared as media server (twonky) but files accessible.
off to get the kids pizza, me beer,football and lets see how long it stays on…
fingers crossed its coming home and this is fixed…

If it no longer drops off the network then it’s entirely possible it was the power adapter. While extremely rare, adapters can fail just like anything else. If one is having repeated adapter failure that might indicate a problem with either that particular power outlet or with the quality of the power being transmitted to that outlet.

Trying to diagnose a problematic power supply can be difficult since there are a number of errors or issues can be caused by a bad power supply that can be also caused by other issues.

Update. Well nothings changed, the device still appears as a device to be communicating with something, as top rear flicking green, bottom rear static green but device not appearing on network,or as mapable drive, media device etc. I took out the ethernet cable, the rear top light stayed green, I popped it into my laptop, bottom rear static green now as is top green,so no communication activity and nothing is appearing on lap top.
Something tells this device to shut down communicating with devices,networks etc every 15,20 mins. Its not the sleep mode thats for sure. I told the device to send me emails of logs, not received any yet. I guess it thinks its connected. I am expecting a new router in the next few days, lets see if that makes any difference, cant see it would, if the device just disappears off lap when directly connected after rebooting it. Think I may just be one of the many that has been unlucky with this device, if I can get the media off, i will be happy, thats my aim now, to try to keep it awake so i can get 1.3 TB of movies,music and family photos off it. No device has ever cause me so much time and frustration.

If you followed the directions to get the logs. It does not email them
to you. It should open a window asking you if you want to save a zip file.

Well, I moved house, Plusnet sent me a brand new hub router. Plugged it all in, assigned a static IP to the WD cloud, booted it up and it then becomes unavailable ( but visible) on the network as 192.168.1.68. but can’t connect to it either via file explorer, Plex etc. It’s visible on the router but says it’s not connected. Same story different day.

you do know that you have to assign a static IP OUTSIDE the range of DHCP IPs that are reserved on your router, right? Because if you are assigning an IP within the IPs that are assigned by the router then within 20 minutes because your Cloud thinks it is a static IP it won’t renew and your router thinks that your device hasn’t renewed in 20 minutes that it must have walked away and thereby takes the IP and throws it back into the pool of available IPs.

To Fix this… make sure your router DHCP assignable range of IPs is set to, lets say, from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.50 so that your assignment will work.

look at mine… and my static IPs are outside of this range starting with 192.168.0.110
11%20AM

edited:

1. rather than rebooting the cloud, try unplugging the ethernet cable and replugging it back in to see if that re-activates your My Cloud.
  2. after editing the above ip range, you might need to reboot your router and network so that everyone falls within the ip range. For your My Cloud see #1.

Good luck…

I have my systems setup to use dhcp. I then have the router reserve ip addresses for each device.
Ive never had the My Cloud lose the connection.

@doogie2368, if you do as @rac8006 says then you have to set your MyCloud to DHCP and not assign the same IP as the reserve, although you probably can and nothing bad will happen but just redundant.

Also I believe that a reserve ip can be any ip inside or outside the DHCP assigned IP range but then again I could be wrong. If I’m wrong then you might have to assign an ip within the DHCP. I think the idiosyncrasies of the router depends on the youthfulness of the programmer and whether or not the young programmer understands the specs that they are given.

In the past I have set the MyCloud to DHCP and once it has gotten its IP, I then went into the router and turned on Reserve, reserving the same ip number that it just assigned to the MyCloud. This is the ip I would then use to map the cloud forever.

On my old/new Shaw Router, reserve doesn’t work at all. I would reserve an IP and no matter how I saved it on my router, my devices never get the same IP especially my little Windows 10 PC that I used for recording my TP-Link cameras. Luckily I was able to override my router with a static IP on my Windows 10 PC which static IPs didn’t work prior on my older Shaw Router of which I think it was a Windows 10 problem; go figure.

The reasons that nothing seems to solve your problem is that you don’t believe, so every effort you make is a gesture indicating how it is again failing, like your plugging the cycloid straight into your computer, it doesn’t work, therefore it doesn’t work at all.

Let me tell you @doogie2368 that I’ve been frustrated with my network more times then you can count and every time something goes wrong, I’ve felt the need to throw away something that doesn’t seem to stay on the network. My ihome smartoutlets that keeps being unresponsive on my Apple Homekit even though the rest of my lutron light switches works perfectly; requires a monthly reboot of my Airport Routers once a month. As mentioned, my Ring doorbell which does video didn’t work either one day even though it worked perfectly yesterday. What changed? firmware update? This one required a complete re-routing of my network and it was the network.

The bottom line though, for all my problems, all had to do with the network itself and not of the problematic devices. However there is a 1% chance that it could be the MyCloud, at which I would suggest you film the demise of your MyCloud as you throw it out the window and post it up here.

Thanks Ralpheal,

No one seems to understand that even if I directly connect the drive to my laptop, it shuts down after 20 mins. I can’t access it as storage or as twonky. What I am doing now is I have put a Samsung hard drive into the back of the WD, I booot it up, copy as many folders as I can using the NAS to USB back up service before it disappears again. It will take a while to get everything off. Once I have done that I will reset to manafacturer settings. I know it’s a configuration problem within the unit, not ISP etc. I had messages on my Laptop telling me this yesterday that their was file errors and that there was a configuration error.

Keep you posted. I wish I could just get the information off more quickly.

Regards

Adrian.