My Cloud is not showing up on the network

I too, like just about everyone else, has/had this problem. I wonder if there was anyone out there who pluged it in and installed the softawre, and all went fine for them? Hmmmm… I would like to see that.

I spent 3 days so far messing with this junk. I was a seagate man up to now before a mate who had WD MyBook talked me into buying this. I am no dill with computers (have 7 boxes on a network and other small NAS system for many years), but this WD stuff is reall bugging me.

Hopefully I got half of it sorted out. Now I could be wrong, but it seems WD My Cloud likes to get a bit bossy with your system and wants to take over IP addresses when others already have them, so just let it do that and then change all your other boxes if you have to. i.e if you have static, and not dynamic IP addreses (Find ip automatically).

After that, check your workgroup/homegroup. I had mine on a workgroup, and during installation WD decided to chand my gateway computer to a Homegroup, which left the network a bit tipsy to say the least. Now that I have all on the homegroup together… my network is fine and I see WDMyCloud on all boxes. I uploaded 90gb of data to the WDC and its been running non stop for 3 days so far. Indexing I suspect. I hope so, couse this drive will die soon at this rate. Its darn hot… no wonder its vented on all sides lol.

Did have trouble accessing remotely untill I created a new account (so have 2 now) and it connected ok to the 2nd one but not the first. I ended up deleting the 2nd to see what happens, and now back to square one again. Have decided to keep the WD as a local NAS only, and sync some of it to my Dropbox for remote use. Maybe WD should seek advice from Dropbox on how to do better service their own remote access.:dizzy_face:

I bought a 4TB WD My Cloud for my home/office network, where I have 1 PC, a MacBook, Mac Mini, & a number of tablets & moble devices.

All went well with the installation, except for my Mac Mini where I kept getting the error message: No WD My Cloud found on network. This despite the Mac Mini being able to see the device via Finder.

In the end I downloaded the WD My Cloud Desktop for Mac from the WD Support website (link below) and this worked as opposed to running WD My Cloud Setup for Mac

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=210&lang=en

Perhaps I should have done this in the first place, I don’t know, but running “Setup” before installing the “Desktop” made sense to me.

I post this here in case in the hope it helps someone else having a similar problem with their Mac and WD My Cloud.

Rgds, Robertf

Same problem.  This link worked for me as well:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=206&lang=en

I was able to gain access to the unit, but the “My Cloud EX2” software that I installed from the WD site  STILL isn’t recognizing the drive.  Does anyone know if WD will be addressing this issue?

thanks for the assistance.

The link you provided above is for a My Cloud ONLY.

The My Cloud EX2 is a different NAS altogether and it’s software is located here

I resolved my my cloud not showing in my network discovery by unplugging and plugging back in my cloud on different LAN port on the back of my router which pretty much resolved the problem my network discovery software found my cloud device under network search.

It happened the same to me:  I solved as suggested from the app, connecting using my email and password of the WD account.

I have had this problem on and off ever since I installed the system. It works for a while and then stops.

However, I am able to access MyCloud via file explorer on my laptop but not on my main PC.

I’ve not managed to fix the problem but I have managed to isolate it.  If I reboot the pc and select “safe mode with networking”, everything works as normal.  I have tried using MSCONFIG to disable all drivers and statrtup items but without success.  So, it seems that Windows is loading something that is preventing from File Explorer being able to display the drive.  

Hope this helps and perhaps someone with more technical know-how than me can identify the problem.

Glen

Progress: 

I restored a backup when I only had basic Windows, graphic drivers etc installed and it found the network as it should.  I have also printed out all the network adapter settings from System Configuration.  Will not try a later backup version and see what happens.

If it fails to recognise the network then I shall print out the new adapter settings and compare the two. That should poing me in the right direction.

Will keep you posted.

Glen

No difference in adapter printout, so it MUST be something that has been installed that is preventing Windows from displaying the network infrastructure.

I am not going to uninstall every piece of software using Revo Uninstaller which should also remove all the registry clutter etc.

tbc

This may already been mentioned.  But for a device to be seen on the network it must be

in the sam workgroup as the PC.  To check your PC workgroup. go to the start menu and

right click on computer then click on properties.  The workgroup will be displayed.

RAC

Cracked it!!

Uninstalled programs one by one and after I’d uninstalled BitDefender, it now works perfectly; ergo, something in the “protection” is preventing the network architecture from being correctly displayed.

All I have to do now is find out how to set up BD so that it allows the network adapter to “talk” to Windows correctly.

I would assume that many of the other problems experienced on this thread have something to do with security systems installed, whether it be Windows Firewell or third party software.

Glad it’s all over now.

Glen

With BitDefender and other security programs they may be limiting network access, even local network access, by how one configures the Firewall settings.

For BitDefender the following setting changes may help that was taken from this thread:

Open the Bitdefender program > Protection > click on Firewall > make sure the Firewall is turned ON (the blue check-mark from top-right)

Go to the Adapters tab > at “Network Type” select “Home/Office” > at “Stealth Mode” select “Off” > at “Generic” select “Yes”

Now please go back (click on the “back” arrow in the upper left part of the window ) > Intrusions Detection > turn off Intrusion Detection System

Restart the computer.

For Windows 7 and possibly 8, 8.1 and 10 users if they change their “Network Location” to “Public network” they may be unable to access the WD My Cloud and other devices on their local Network. Using “Home network” or “Work network” should allow the WD My Cloud to be seen and accessed. It comes down to how Network Discovery is set on Windows. If disabled or turned off local devices are not discovered.

I had this issue. All I did was set SMB to Type 1 from Type 2. Then it showed up fine in both Windows 8 and now Windows 10.

Is there any fix for this if you’re running viper? I’m on Windows 8 and having the same problem. Since others are having an issue with their firewall, I assume that’s my problem as well.

the same problem, it worked fine the first day but now it is not able to connect to my WD my cloud. what should i do?

I was also having the same problem, thats why I googled for a solution and found this discussion.

My problem started when I dragged a folder to the My Cloud and all of a sudden the network drive vanished. I searched the net for soultion with no success. Someone said his problem was resolved when he changed around the network cable on the router. I tried that - no success. I gave up and decided to scanned my receipts using my printer connected via the network. I failed to scan - scanner error. Then it hit me that 2 devices connected to the network were failing something must be wrong with my network. Then I disconnected network cable from my wife’s laptop (I hope I won’t do that if she were hooked to a life machine! just cable humor, no need to lock me up!) which I was using to copy files and switched to wireless since I no longer needed the cable to copy files to a device I could no longer see. Soon as I did that, and went to my laptop. I noticed that I could no longer see my wife’s laptop from my laptop network section. That was it, my network was the problem.

Here is what I did. I waited for everyone to go to sleep, since I dare not disturb their online life:

1. I switched off the router

2. Pressed the reset button on the modem…waited for all lights to be solid

3. Switched on my router

et voila! Everything was now visible, even my mother-in-law’s laptop! I looked at my printer and it said, IP Address changed. I pressed ok. I could scan, I could back up to My Cloud as well. The world is at peace once again! I did all this as a “thief in the night”.

Try it! Hope it helps at least one person.

I got a new My Cloud Mirror Drive and right out of the box it won’t network. Very disappointing!!!
Have spent over 1 hour on the phone with WD customer support and still not working properly!

Anyone have any ideas?

I think I’m going back to the store tomorrow to return this thing and look at other brands of network drives.

Yes, please provide more information. What steps have you tried? What OS are you using? Have you read the following thread if using Windows 10?

https://community.wd.com/t/compilation-of-windows-10-methods-steps-and-solutions/142576

I had the same problem and now it’s solved - hope my answer is helpful.
I’m a user of Windows 7.

Problem:
I downloaded the set up file and started the installation.
During the process the device couldn’t find my network. It just kept asking me to rescan.

Solution:
Open a new web page and type in http://wdmycloud/setup
They will do exactly the same thing online as the installation with the application file you downloaded.
I found my network and finished the setup process.

Hope it helps.

Very helpful. Just to clarify: Go to “Map Network Drive”, then in “Folder” type the IP Address and vuala! It pops right up. Just as a note I completed this step AFTER I created a WD Account, downloaded and set-up “WD My Cloud” Desktop App in September of 2016.