My cloud has a solid white light

i have a new my cloud and it has never had a blue light. It has a solid white light and I can’t get it to do anything. Ive even done a reset and it won’t work. HELP!

@ymayers Are you sure you have a WD My Cloud? WDMyCloudImage If yes, is it a 1st or 2nd generation?

From what I remember, (assuming this is a MyCloud and not a MycCloud Home, thanks WD for being more confusing than necessary) a solid white led means that the unit cannot negotiate a line speed.

This has historically been the case when certain brands of router are used (such as ATT’s Uverse routers.). You need to connect it to a gigabit switch between it and the router, OR, you need to manually assign a line speed in the advanced configuration of the device menu (after manually connecting to it over a direct cable connection.)

If your unit is actually a MyCloud Home, I am not sure how to help you. You should try in the appropriate forum if that is the case. (sorry if we seem a bit crude about this, but we get a lot of mycloud Home users in here.)

Thank you but yes it’s just a mycloud not a my cloud home. I just got it and am not sure what generation it is.

Yes it’s a my cloud not a my cloud home and I just got it so don’t know what generation it is. I’ll look tonight

Due to the white LED it sounds like a 1st generation. See the User Manual>LEDs, Page 7.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/126

It’s been solid white for 2 weeks :smirk:.

could be that the boot loader cannot initialize after loading the kernel.

Cat0w is probably right. The “cannot negotiate speed” white light is a flashing one. (double checked).

I dont have a lot of experience with Gen1 units. (own a gen2.)

If you cannot access the My Cloud Dashboard then look on the bottom of the unit at the P/N number. If that number ends in “-00” then its first gen v.4x firmware My Cloud. If that number ends in “-10” then it’s a second generation v2.x firmware My Cloud.

To add to the comment above about certain routers having an issue with the My Cloud causing the My Cloud to fail to negotatate a proper nertwork connection. WD has a Knowledgebase Support article explaining the solution is to use a network switch, as indicated above, between the My Cloud and the ISP router.

My Cloud is not recognized when connected to AT&T Uverse, Pace, Arris, Ubee or Sonic Gateway Routers
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3637