Loss of Access to Shares with Firmware v04.04.00-307

I created a new share under the same name as the missing one, and now I can see the share and all of its content. So, semi-fixed. I cannot delegate access for the share to any users, however.

If my files are really still there though then why does wd dashboard say space was 300gb but now 1.2tb.

Also, why after me taking 2 days to copy almost 900gb from backup , did the same share delete itself again.

Strange.

On these units, the shares are located in /shares which is a link to /DataVolume/shares

ls -la /shares

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Sep  6 00:59 /shares → /DataVolume/shares

Based on what i;ve seen, is there’s a directory named /DataVolume/shares/MyData and it;s not there in the UI anymore (for some strange reason other than actually being deleted) the directory called MyData should still be there.

So when you create a new share using the exact same name, My Cloud only creates a new linkt to the directory /DataVolume/shares/MyData instead of overwriting the directory itself. Now, if you run the mount command, you should see the share mounted like such

mount

/dev/sda4 on /nfs/MyData type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback)

Now, it you’re restoring from a backup, I guess it depends on how the backup program works.

IE: adds to the current directory or delete and replace

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hey Guys,

Check out this knowledgebase article.  It may shed some light on your issue.

Shares on a My Cloud disappeared after performing a firmware update
http://websupport.wdc.com/newSupport/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13161

1 Like

Not sure why, but that link goes to an entirely different help page.

Trying to link

Tried the system only restore, it did nothing for me. Before attempting that, I logged via ssh and did a ls in the DataVolume/shares and my folder wasn’t there. I know it’s my fault for not doing a backup and disabling automatic updates but I’m really frustrated right now :confused:

I don’t think it’s your fault; I don’t think a firmware upgrade should risk losing data, especially if automatic upgrade is enabled. If upgrade is automatic, how are you supposed to do a backup before it?

I have no luck with system only factory reset. I lost 2 TB of data, i dont know what to do now, dashboard shows 3.6 TB free space out of my 4 TB my cloud and try SSH but couldnt find my shares in /shares

I tried to make a new shares with the name of the old one hoping it would recover but no luck.

Can anybody help me on this?

Hello, welcome to the community.

We have passed this along to support.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Not sure why, but that link goes to an entirely different help page.

Trying to link

Thanks cpt_paranoia,

Someone gave me an old link, and I obviously didn’t check it.  Sorry.

It does seem that the 307 firmware is causing problems for a number of people, with shares disappearing or inaccessible. And system-only restore doesn’t seem to cure the problem. One user reported Support provided a 

‘patch’ which fixed the problem.

I note there’s no firmware upgrade sticky thread, unlike usual. Given the number of threads reporting post-307 upgrade problems, and Support being notified by moderators, maybe it’s time for a sticky post acknowledging that there are problems. It gets pretty taxing for the ‘free support staff’ to have to keep saying ‘yeah, this seems to be a regular problem: contact support’. Not that sticky threads seem to stop copycat threads

And we really shouldn’t have to be prompting this sort of response.

Yes there really should be one single thread for each firmware version with the latest being stickied at the top of the forum. There are now numerous posts related to firmware 303 and 307 on being unable to access the dashboard, being unable to access the drive in general, having shares disappear (even deleted), or having shares changed to read only.

For what ever reason so many simply do not read even the first page of this sub forum to see their issue related to the firmware has been posted numerous times in the past couple of days.

So, after all these threads, and our attempts to collkae the obvious problems, it’s obvious that WD were aware of a problem with 37, and we now have a stealth 308 release.

But still no official acknowledgement of a problem, or that is (hopefully) fixed with the 308 firmware they’ve quietly released.

For heaven’s sake, WD, communicate with your customers. 

In the process of slowly releasing the new OS3, we discovered some issues that we were able to quickly turn around and fix resulting in an updated version of code.  It will probably go like that until we are fully released.  However, we are well aware of the various issues you guys may be experiencing and we are jumping on them right away.  

Those of you experiencing these issues should have been, or soon will be, contacted about your particular issues.  

Hi After MyCloud 4TB updated the firmware to v04.04.00-303 I lost my public folder.

The capacity checker shows that the folder is there because at last check I only have 2.1TB remaining.

I have tried rests, rebuilds etc but no joy.

Some suggested that they had the same problem and created a new share and named it public (this apparently bought back the missing folder). The reason this didn’t work for me is that I got an error message stating “Share name Pulic is reserved.”

If you have any ideas and suggestions please let me know. The shares have been missing now for 72hrs.

Thanks

Hello,

I recommend the following actions:

Now go into settings and do a “system only” restore.

After reboot, the shares shouuld be present again.

Create users and following the email instructions and you should be good to go

1 Like

System only restore sorted out all the issues.
Many thanks for your help.

i’ve had a folder for the last 9 months called 2015 where i upload frequently to. said hd is in another state so i upload remotely via the desktop app. i went to upload images a couple days ago after not uploading for maybe a couple days and the folder is gone. and now there is a folder there called 2016 which i never created. is there anyway to find out a history to see what happened to the original 2015 folder or better yet recover it?

any help would be much appreciated.

ps 

1. i’m on a mac

2. this folder is not public

attaching a screen shot of what it looks like.

Welcome to the Community.

Are you the only one able to modify files remotely on your unit? One thing is a missing folder. Another thing is a completely new folder with a different name appearing after the original folder went missing. It could have been an accident.Â