Indexing 1TB of data 4 days - restsdk-server at 80%

HELP!! This is a big problem

There is a new firmware [5.05.111].

yes and the indexation is muche faste. I’m at 87% done . yesterday same hour, I was at 49%

My PR2100 5.05.111 eventually completed “indexing”. However, days later, the disks have NOT stopped constant activity. restsdk-server still between 25-50% active. What is it doing now (if it’s not indexing)?

@whalleym The transcoding of media occurs after the indexing process has completed.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29959

Same issue.
I have a 8TB gen2 occupied with 2TB of files and restsdk-server (scouted with atop command by ssh putty terminal) shows disks busy at 90% since days.
The cabinet is overheating and it’s dreadfully noisy.
Simply it’s not professional and it’s a shame that WD ignores tons of upset customers with unuseful links that don’t fix the problem but just show the WD team inability to manage the issue.
I will hack the system trying to limit the indexing service to a blank directory.
If I can’t I will overwrite a new linux OS but - I insist - it’s a shame!

1 Like

I’ve got a ‘workaround’ for the stupid cloud content indexing problem:

1. Get a Reapberry Pi or another device you can install a light linux distribution on. Use it preferrably on the same LAN.
  2. Install owncloud on that device.
  3. Enable external storage on the owncloud web interface.
  4. Connect all your shares from your MyCloud via SFTP using your MyCloud’s local IP address and your SSH credentials (sshd as the username and the pw you specified). Address the shares like this: ‘/shares/my_share/’. Don’t forget the ‘/’ at the end. Grant access to your shares to your owncloud user(s).

That’s it. It may not be simple to get a safe and reliable owncloud installation running but I got it working alright. The main downside is the fact that you need additional hardware - which adds some costs on top of the MyCloud - and of course you can’t sync the MyCloud shares using the desktop app. But it’s a possibility to get cloud access as you would on the MyCloud app minus automatic photos sync and plus the ability to add additional cloud storage (just plug an external hard disk into the raspi, create a symlink to a folder on it to use as owncloud’s data folder, fix permissions, and that’s it). So in case you have a raspi at home which still has some free ressources give it a thought.

2 Likes

WTF WD!!! This is a flagship drive behaving like a cheap drive. This indexing issue needs to be resolved!!! I have the 40tb model and expected so much more. I have 5 TB of photos. The unit has been indexing now for 6 days. Running day and night, and right now it is only at 27% complete!!! Really! Please tell me that this can be resolved so that it indexes faster!

1 Like

I thought 12 TB was the max for a My Cloud Mirror unit ?
What firmware version are you using ?

@Ronoman1

• turn off 3rd party apps
  • turn off “Mobile & Web Cloud Access” for backup shares and shares that do not require remote access
  • Reboot

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30021

1 Like

DOWNGRADE TO OS3

I was experimenting with alternative firmwares on my WD Cloud Gen2 and discovered this method downgrading to OS3 from OS5.

1. upgrage to DSM ( https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/ )
  2. move on with the installation of DSM
  3. Enable “SSH Access” in web interface
    Login via SSH from your first login (Or any of ligin with Admin privileges)
    Type “sudo su” and enter your password again. You are “root” now. Type:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
    reboot
  4. After reboot you can access to “WD Recovery” web. Install original WD firmware OS3

Hi there,

Do we lose any data by doing this ?

Thank you

Install Nextcloud instead of ownCloud which is not as efficient and supported.

Ok just turned off the cloud support, losing what is most interesting.
12 days on my 4Tb EX2 Ultra and it’s only at 66% of indexing.
I have 3Tb of data.
It progresses now by 1% every two days.
And it already hate about 40Gb of the disks… to store useless information.
This shows only one thing: total incompetence!
I never saw any software as poorly designed as this.
Why don’t you let us access the files over the cloud and have an option do disable indexing. I don’t care at all (obviously I’m not alone) to have thumbnails etc…
I just want to access my data.

1 Like

Ok guys, I have a sample here.

I copied the next information into the NAS.
1.53 GB (1566 MB) (996 pictures)

As soon as it started copying restsdk-server started to work (along smbd for transfering the file)

It took 43 minutes (2,580 secs) to the Processor and Disks getting idle (2x4TB RAID1)

So that means:
1566 MB/996 files = Around 1.57 MB per file (average)
~1566MB/2,580 secs = 0.606 Megabyte every second
2580 secs/996 files = 2.590 seconds for every file (1.57 MB avg)

Did another test
632 MB (3234 picture)

It took 1:15 hour aprox. (4500 secs)

So that means:
632 MB/3234 pictures = Around 0.19 MB per file (avg)
632 MB/3600 secs = 0.14 MB every second
3600 secs/3234 files = 1.39 seconds for every file (0.19 MB avg)

So yeah… size of pictures matters.

Hope that helps

this is inadmissible is there a place where i can complain or give a review?

Hate OS5 since day 1. Four days indexing and still at 20%. WTF WD!!!

welcome to the club.
my indexing takes already almost 2 months. (4tb drive 20% used) it restarts indexing continuosly. so if indexing is done … after a few days it restarts. as you can see i dropped from 100% to 78% 2 weeks ago and since today i am on 56%.
my drive was always up and running .
btw you can tell if your drive is indexing or not by the NOISE!!!
terrible support too, they always send me links to answers not existing. were better if they kept focused on der os development

update: now i did a controlled restart of my device resulting in image
i give up!

Did you get the firmware update to 5.12.108?
What’s your case number and have you attached system logs?

case number is #210302-003623

the replies of anna b were just links to non existing help files so useless.

yes i did send the log files.

you replied telling me to turn of twonky and plex.

i did so.

after the indexing was finished (100%) i reinstalled twonky and plex. think now that this was causing all the trouble.

indexing this morning again restarted from 1% (yesterday it was at 78%)

after that i managed to turn of twonky and plex.

now indexing is back to 49%

expect it to be finished sunday.

i keep my hands off twonky from now

best peter