I got new internet- now MyCloud won't connect. Help?

So I switched from Comcast to AT&T, and now I can’t connect to MyCloud. Like, at all. I’m sitting here with my laptop connected to the new modem via ethernet cord and still nothing. I called WD tech support before 9pm CST, and I’m still on hold. So I don’t know if they’re still gonna take my call.

Can anybody tell me what to do to have access to the MyCloud?

I’m not using AT&T, but I assume you are using a Modem/Router all-in-one?

Can you log into your router?

What is the IP of your My Cloud?

Can you ping it?

What are your router settings?

I’m sure after you switched ISP’s everything internally has changed.

In addition to SectorGZ’s excellent pointers you also might consider either My Net View Evaluation Tool or WD Discovery Software located on WD Support

1 Like

How is your My Cloud connected to this new setup you have?

Does it show up in your local network?

Tell us more about your AT&T connection, is it an all in one modem/router/switches?

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

@SectorGZ: I don’t know how to log into my router. I don’t know the IP of my My Cloud. I don’t know how to ping. I don’t know my router settings.

@cat0w: The My Cloud is connected to my new AT&T modem via ethernet. I connected my laptop to the modem with another ethernet cable to see if I needed a wired connection to get things working again. It just sat there with a blinking yellowish white light for a few hours, and then I gave up. I figured maybe it was an internet problem and if I came back to it later, it’d have worked itself out. Not so. How do I know if something shows up in my local network? What does that look like? My AT&T kit is just one box- is that what you mean?

@PJPfeiffer: Those links were under the Windows section. I have a Mac. Can I still use those tools? Make all the technologically stupid jokes a out Mac users that you want- they are entirely true in my case. My knowledge of technology begins and ends with turning it off and turning it back on again. Oh, and checking to see if it’s actually plugged in. I’ve done both.

All I know is I plugged it in like when I first got it, and it doesn’t work. All I had to do to get my PS3 to work was go into network settings and find the new network. Why doesn’t this work the same way?

Someone called my phone from WD, but I just couldn’t understand them, and I was on my way out the door. If anyone can help, I’d really prefer to be contacted on here. My ears just don’t work too well.

I assume you have AT&T U Verse … correct?

Access the Router Settings

1. Launch a web browser from any computer already connected to the network. The connection will preferably be via Ethernet cable attached to the gateway.

2.  Type “192.168.1.254” in the address bar and press Enter. If asked for a password, use the wireless network key found on the sticker on your U-Verse router.

3.  View the options available on the displayed web page.
    A) The default screen is the “System” screen, which will be displaying your “Network at a Glance” details.
    B) You can view the upload and download speed of your modem under the “Broadband Link” section.
    C) All computers and devices that are currently accessing the network will be listed under the “Home Network” link.

My Cloud Desktop App and Setup for a Mac can be found Here.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

runnoft  wrote"@PJPfeiffer: Those links were under the Windows section. I have a Mac. Can I still use those tools? Make all the technologically stupid jokes a out Mac users that you want- they are entirely true in my case. My knowledge of technology begins and ends with turning it off and turning it back on again. Oh, and checking to see if it’s actually plugged in. I’ve done both."

Actually I don’t make any jokes about MAC users, to directly answer usage of the tools no you can only use the tools on that page listed under MAC  or WINDOWS & MAC. My home’s network consists of Mac Book Pro, Windows 7, Linux, iPhone. Computer selection is similar to any tool selection, one doesn’t use a sledge hammer to drive finishing nails.

In addition to the excellent advice provided by   SectorGZ    you can also refer to the  user manual pages 11 -23 where some of the instructions are MAC specific, and others are general in nature.

@SectorGZ: I don’t know how to log into my router. I don’t know the IP of my My Cloud. I don’t know how to ping. I don’t know my router settings.

I’m afraid it may be time to start learning new things…

What make and model is your router?  If we knew that, we could download the manual and talk you through the process.

Do you have a manual for it, or can you find one using Google?

Your ISP will have supplied you with an access key for the administrator page on the router; it may even be printed on the serial label on the router.

Usually, the control panel of a router can be accessed via a web browser.

Ah, SectorGZ has beaten me to it, and hopefully given you what you need to know about accessing your router.

Now for the MyCloud.

Have you read the User Manual?  If not, now is the time…

www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Is the front panel LED yellow, or is it a violet-white?

P15 of the User Manual describes the front panel LED states.

Flashing yellow means it can’t talk to the router.

• check the LEDs on the Ethernet port on the back of the MyCloud;  see P16 of the user manual for a description. If both of these LEDs are off, the MyCloud is not seeing any connection to the router.  If the lower LED is solid yellow or green, the MyCloud has established a connection to the router.

• check the Ethernet cable is securely plugged into the router and the MyCloud

• try plugging your Mac into the port on the router you are currently using for the MyCloud (if your Mac can then access the internet, we know the router port is working)

• try plugging the MyCloud into a different port on the router

• try rebooting the router (turn it off for a minute, and then back on)

Flashing white LED means the MyCloud is powering up. This should only last a couple of seconds, before it goes solid white as it boots its operating system.

If it stays flashing white, then I think something is wrong, and we may need to look at resetting the MyCloud, or doing a System Restore.  But I think you’ve got enough things to checking first…

Found this researching an issue with my 3T MyCloud.
We’re using ATT U-verse. Recently they replaced our modem/router. MyCloud stopped working.

When I power up the MyCloud. The etherport light-on both ends-lights up green. Then thet go dark. Changed cable and port with no resolution. The front light is flashing yellow.

Signed onto the router. It shows nothing connected to that port.

Any suggestions? Appreciated.
Dave

see if this applies to your case as well

Thanks. I’ll take it over a friends house and try again.

Also, saw something on another support thread about connecting it directly to a laptop. I’ll try that also.

And report back.

Dragged out an old Linksys WRT54G. As soon as I plugged in the WD MC, the connection started. The front light turned a steady blue.

Now to get a cross-over cable and hook the routers together.

Thanks everyone.

My TWC internet went out for several days and I got a new modem and router. Now I can’t connect to my wdmycloud.
My wdmycloud has a solid amber light on it. I’ve tried rebooting everything multiple times and nothing helps. I’ve tried pinging for it and doing a search on my Mac and PC. Nothing.
Any help is appreciated!

Do the back LED lights on the network port on the My Cloud indicate a connection? Both LED’s should be lit for a gigabit connection.

Did you previously configure the My Cloud for a static IP address within the My Cloud Dashboard?

Have you checked the new router’s administration page to see what IP address is being handed out to the My Cloud?

Have you tried using a different networking port on the router?

Have you tried a different networking cable between the router and My Cloud?

Have you tried a 4 second reset via the reset button on the back of the My Cloud? What about a 40 second reset?

Do the back LED lights on the network port on the My Cloud indicate a connection? Both LED’s should be lit for a gigabit connection. The back light that the ethernet is plugged into is green and blinking (only one, it looks like there are 2 there). It’s plugged directly into the modem with the ethernet cable provided when I purchased it.

Did you previously configure the My Cloud for a static IP address within the My Cloud Dashboard? I do believe that I did.

Have you checked the new router’s administration page to see what IP address is being handed out to the My Cloud? I have already logged in to my current router to see the IP address.

Have you tried using a different networking port on the router? yes

Have you tried a different networking cable between the router and My Cloud?

Have you tried a 4 second reset via the reset button on the back of the My Cloud? What about a 40 second reset?

I was just looking online in the community to see if my files would be deleted if I do a reset and how to do a reset. what’s the difference in the 4 second reset and a 40 second? I have a lot of important family pics and videos that I don’t want to lose.

I also tried doing the 4 second reset and it does absolutely nothing. I tried another ethernet cable and port and that didn’t work either.

First see the following link for more information on the 4 second reset and 40 second restore. Your user data should not be affected.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

If you set a static IP address within the My Cloud it is possible the new router uses a different IP address range which would cause the My Cloud to potentially be unreachable. For example My Cloud is configured with 192.168.1.10 and the new router uses the IP address range of 192.168.0.x.

From the My Cloud User Manual, the back LED explanation.

I did the 40 second reset and nothing. I seems like no matter what I do, it doesn’t do anything but sit there with that solid amber light on the front and the one blinking green light on the back. I didn’t even hear it make a noise like it was rebooting or anything. It’s been over 30 min since I did the 40 second reset.

Solid amber front light usually means that it cannot connect to a network.

What model router is it?

You might try connecting it directly to your PC or Mac. Read Appendix C of the User Manual:

My router has failed. How do you manually map the drive letter?

1. Power down the device.
  2. Connect the device directly to the computer’s Ethernet port.
  3. Power up the device. Wait until the LED turns blue before proceeding.
  4. For Windows XP and Windows 7, on the Start menu:
    a. Click (My) Computer.
    b. Click My Network Places (Windows XP) or Network (Windows Vista/Windows 7).
    c. Select wdmycloud.
    d. On the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive.
  5. For Windows 8, click the File Explorer icon , and in the ribbon (top of page), click
    Computer > Map Network Drive.
  6. Select wdmycloud.
  7. Leave the drive set to the default letter.
  8. In the Folder box, type the following path: \device name\public.
    Note: The default device name is WDMyCloud.
  9. Click Finish.
  10. Go back to the opening window of (My) Computer to view the Public folder of your
    device under Network Drives.

If only to see if the front panel light goes blue.

When you did the 40-second reset, did you remove the power, press & hold reset, apply power, then release the reset button after 40 seconds?

I’m not sure how to tell what model I have. It’s a few years old. I will try connecting to my Mac or PC (probably PC since those are the instructions provided).
I followed the instructions for the 40 sec reset exactly and nothing.