I can only play certain MKV

Hi all, I recently bought a WD Element (Not sure if it’s Gen 1 or 2). I realize that there are certain MKV file that I cannot play. Does anyone have any idea what’s going in? My current firmware ver is 1.01.12 so I am unsure if there are further updates that can solve this. Please help :frowning:

MKV Header Compression, probably.

You need to re-mux it with MKVmerge with that option DISABLE.

Hi TonyPH, What do you mean by ‘that option DISABLE’? Header Compression? I dont see such options available. FYI, I am using mkvmerge GUI 5.7.0 Appreciate your advise. Thanks!

Anyway, I tried remux it by adding the file into mkvmerger without touching any other settings. Didnt work :frowning:

Set “compression” to “none” for all tracks.

It’s under the EXTRA OPTIONS tab.

Hi Tony, I got what u meant. The picture is now fine, but no audio :frowning: I tried various settings, Video no compression, Audio no compression, Video and Audio no compression. The audio still didnt come on.

Please post the full TEXT output of MEDIAINFO for such a file.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

louislcs wrote:
Hi all, I recently bought a WD Element (Not sure if it’s Gen 1 or 2). I realize that there are certain MKV file that I cannot play. Does anyone have any idea what’s going in? My current firmware ver is 1.01.12 so I am unsure if there are further updates that can solve this. Please help :frowning:

a) future firmware updates are unlikely to help: support fpor MKV header compression comes from the chipset. More: I don’t think any hardware upgrades will be available for the Gen 1 WDEP.

b) See this thread for the settings in MKV merge. MKV merge has a global option:

mkvmerge-defaultHC.gif

I’m not sure if this is relevant: for subtitles you’ll manually need to switch of header compression (I’m always doing i).

c) There is also a tool mkclean, but I’ve never used it.