Playing MKV files

Hi Forum, I’d just like to ask for some advice please. I have some MKV files i’m trying to play on my HD TV player, I’m getting the video & sound on some, then just the sound on others.

The files that play video with no sound show this message at the top of the screen in white:  

English 1 (Digital)

I have tried changing the settings from Stereo to Digital by going into:

Settings > Audio / Video > Audio output      

But i still have no sound coming from the TV

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry if a similar question has been posted before, I am just at a dead end and could do with being pointed in the right direction! Cheers Alan

Hey Alan,

Can you tell us what model WD TV player you’re using, along with the firmware number?

Something else that would help identify potential issues with your MKV files is MediaInfo, a free application.  Open the file in MediaInfo and copy/paste the output here.  :)

Hi,

How can i tell what  the firmware number im currently using? I’ve only had my HD TV Player a few days so im a total novice! 

Thanks Alan

Don’t have my Live plugged in right now (the Hub is my main player!) but, from memory, I believe you can find out in Settings > System > About

Thanks, found it!

My firmware is version 1.02.07

I think you might have the older WD TV HD Gen1 player…

There’s a dedicated forum for that range of products here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/bd-p/tv_hd

However, the most likely problem with the MKV files you’re tring to play is Header Compression.  It’s a feature introduced in newer versions of MKVmerge.

I believe you can remove header compression by simply remuxing with an older version of MKVmerge (4.0.0 or earlier) or by remuxing with a newer version (4.1.0+) but manually disabling header compression in the options for both audio and video streams.

Hi Grant,

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

Ok so I have downloaded MKVMERGE 4.0 and have tried muxing the MKV files, 

Problem i am having at the moment is that it is taking over 5 minutes to access the video page from the main menu?

The ‘Status LED’ on the front of the player is constantly flashing, and the icon at the top of the menu is always rotating and states ‘scanning the attatched usb device’

Is this correct? I am unsure if there is a problem with my Player?

Thanks Alan

Just to confirm i have the WD TV HD Media Player

Model WD00AVP

Fireware 1.02.07

Thanks

We found that after trying to play a video that had the header compression issue, you have to reset the device.  There should be reset hole on the side or the back of the device, next to a usb port.  Just get a pin and push it once.  See if that fixes it.

I also updated firmware and now I am able to play mkv files . But is this is permanent fix or temporary fix ?

Hey Bro!

You canno’t play Dolby Digital 5,1 or AC3 or DTS on a TV, why? because it plays stereo means 2.0 left & right channel. You need a reciever can decode the audio in 5.1 channel.

bubwit wrote:

Hey Bro!

You canno’t play Dolby Digital 5,1 or AC3 or DTS on a TV, why? because it plays stereo means 2.0 left & right channel. You need a reciever can decode the audio in 5.1 channel.

Ummm,  what are you talking about?

I had experiened no sound issues with DD 5.1 and AC3 5.1 too, the WD TV HD played 2 channels only.  When playing 5.1 audio, it requires an audio receiver to decode AC3  5.1. 

Now I’m using a  WD TV Live Plus - it downmix AC3 and even TrueHD to stereo when I choose stereo output.  This is good, as I don’t want to convert the 5.1 audio to stereo.

I had experiened no sound issues with DD 5.1 and AC3 5.1 too, the WD TV HD played 2 channels only where can i find new firmware or codec updates for WD00AVP  so that i can play these files.

Is there any one can help regarding this

and kindly tell me what is WD GPL CODE  and how to use it it’s available at download side

The WDTV will only ouput stereo over the RCA jacks.

Over HDMI, it depends on whether the WDTV is set to “Stereo” or “Digital”.

DD5.1 (AC-3) will get downmixed to stereo over the RCA jacks.

If the WDTV is set to “Digital”, then DD5.1 will be output over HDMI and optical – the device already supports DD5.1, it doesn’t need support for DD5.1 “added”.

And besides, the chip can only decode what it was designed to decode… new codecs can’t be added to the chip once it’s built.

The last firmware for the Gen1 is on the download page for it.

The GPL code is just that… some of the code used by WD was obtained under the General Public Licence… WD is required to publish the source code of any GPL code it has used.   But it is not the enitre source code of the firmware – most of that is proprietary.  So, unless you’re a programmer and curious to see what free source code WD has utilized, the GPL code is rather worthless to you.  But WD has to publish it nontheless.