HWlib unable read HD Temperature

I keep on getting this message every morning for all three drives. The three drives are configured in RAID 5. When I reboot the error goes away. Any ideas why I keep getting this error?

I have experienced the same issue and am actively engaging with customer service now. Initial feeling is that they are not taking this critical error warning lightly. My error message actually cleared after a reboot but subject to the ultimate resolution with customer service I am moving to ensure all my data is replicated on another device (generally a necessary best practice anyway) and trying to figure out what diagnostics I can perform to get better information on the root cause of the warning message. The test question I actually just asked today. My device is still under warranty so that relieves me of a lot of the stress. I hope you are still under warranty as well.
I will report back if I receive any useful information from my emails with customer support.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with this issue! My unit is out of warranty, it has been sent back to WD once already when one of the OS updates “bricked” the unit. They stood behind the unit, but it is always something with this drive! I contacted WD and I am awaiting a reply. I will share whatever information I have with you as well, but I think it is time to move on to a different manufacturer.
I purchased a Synology DS418 at the same time I purchased this unit and I have had no problems with it at all! Once again, thank you!

Hello all,

I have also been getting this error on a 2-bay MyCloud PR2100. In the GUI logs I see the error “HWlin unable read HD2 temperature” daily and multiple times per day. Only when I reboot the device this stops for a few days.

This error was there from when I bought the device back in January. I involved WD Support, they asked for a “system report”, I sent it to them and they concluded that there is no issue with the drive and that I can ignore the error. I stopped following this up because the error went away for a few days (I didn’t realise back then that a reboot was stopping it temporarily). Now I had enough and I re-opened a case with WD Support. Apparently I can RMA the disk, or the unit, or both, but before I do that I want to exhaust all other options.

By the way I am still on OS3, I didn’t upgrade to OS5 yet as there is no turning back. Backing up the data will be impossible for me, I have 2x12TB in RAID1 around 60% full, I have no other drive(s) large enough to hold that data. I do have off-site backup running overnight through the internet copying to a remote NAS, but restoring from that would take forever unless I go and pick it up, which I want to avoid at any cost. So full factory restore is not an option for me at the moment.

I will keep an eye on this thread and also let you know how my case goes.

I’m experiencing similar issues - except when it happens my Plex Server and Docker apps all stop working too.

A reboot solves it - but it’s happening nearly every couple of days now.

Only been an issue since I stupidly agreed to upgrade the firmware to OS5

I resolved the issue completely! I purchased a Synology NAS and could not be happier!

Hmm - I’m beginning to think that may be a good option…

Or start a class action lawsuit for making the unit unusable!!!

1 Like

Could try this - Pellentesque Pretium

I’m having this issue as of the last couple of months *I’ve had it going on a year *how long is warranty again?)
but I’m still on os3, have avoided os5 because of the seeming consensus that it ■■■■■. I don’t see any follow up tho here…no one has any updates? any solutions other than buying a whole other nas?

So has anyone gotten any support from WD on this issue? My wdpr2100 has begun exhibiting this problem…it renders my plex server useless as far as my own stored media. And I end up having to do a hard reboot to get it back up and running. Super annoying. I’m still within warranty, so if need be I can get a replacement, but this is fairly new unit as it is, and i’m seeing people having the same issue, so i’m worried i’ll just be having the same problem with whatever new one i get eventually…and of course the support for os3 is going away pretty soon and i have NOT updated to os5, since os5 by most accounts seems to s*&% majorly.

So I’m kind of stuck, not sure how to proceed…should i hold out for some solution or rma it for a replacement - OR JUST DUMP WESTER DIGITAL AND GO WITH SYNOLOGY OR ANOTHER MAJOR COMPETITOR THAT DOESN’T SEEM TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS???

Hello all, I would like to report back my experience in case it is useful to any of you. You can read the problem I was facing at post #4.

Unlike for some of you, the “Critical error” that was appearing in my logs had no impact on performance. I resisted going for an RMA of the disk or of the unit because I had a feeling it was a software issue. Why I say this:

1. “fan_control -g 0” was always able to retrieve the temperature of the disk
  2. The timing of the errors seemed to indicate that it was a cron job which sometimes managed to fetch the temperature, sometimes not. Why would that be? Maybe the drive needs more/less time to provide this info depending on its power state or workload. And a poorly written firmware might not give adequate time for this, so maybe it would occasionally time-out. This could potentially also explain why I never got the error for drive 1 - perhaps the queries are sent out in series and not simultaneously, so the last one is the one that times out occasionally.
  3. I purchased drives that were not available for the PR2100 as preinstalled (at least at the time). I remember the biggest you could get back then were 2x10TB while I installed 2x12TB. Maybe these drives were not tested with OS3?
  4. I was still on OS3 and indeed, the support person did recommend going to OS5 (but without knowing if it would solve the problem).

Well, I also resisted RMAing the disk because I had no other large enough storage possibility for backup.

So, a few days ago I decided to go for OS5, and believe it or not, I had no issues at all. No month long indexing, no data loss, no Plex issues, nothing. Indexing and thumbnail generation for my entire 8TB video collection + 3TB of other data including many photos took around 15-20 minutes. The one thing I have to notice however, is that I did not select the option to re-encode videos for quick smartphone playback (apparently an option offered to those units that have hardware accelerated video capabilities, PR2100 being one of them). When asked, the GUI was saying something like “this will use all resources etc.” so I thought I don’t need any pre-made smartphone-friendly videos, my Plex server does that just fine on the fly.

The best part: Now it’s a couple of weeks later and I have no error in the logs about HDD temperature. Completely gone! So, for me at least, it was just a software issue.

Therefore I will go against the forum trends now and I will tell you that I don’t regret moving to OS5, and I would not want to roll back for any reason. I have read about some limitations of OS5 (like quotas topping at 4TB, 5GB mobile upload limit etc.) but none of them actually affect me. The only thing that could have been an issue for me, is that enabling “Remote backup server” (which is basically the Linux rsync daemon) does not work. The slider looks enabled, but there is no rsyncd running. But already from my time with a MyCloud Mirror, I stopped using the remote backups from within the GUI. Instead I always modify the config.xml (a file that saves your settings and survives reboots), I add an entry to the crontab that launches my custom initialisation script, and that one in turn takes care of rsyncd plus a bunch of other things for example setting SSH authorized_keys for passwordless SSH (needed for remote backups).

Plus now I have a functional mobile app (since the OS3 one was killed) and regular security updates. Therefore, I can only recommend switching to OS5. OK, I am a bit of a tweaking and modding veteran, but if anyone needs some help with the topics I mentioned here feel free to ask.

And one last comment: I believe most people, like me, only write in the forums when something is not working. When something is fine we don’t bother. Therefore I believe that apart from the many users complaining about OS5, there must be a multiple of others who are completely happy with it. So my advice is to research hard and see if you would really need whatever OS3 feature you would be losing, see if that would outweigh the security and connectivity benefits, make an educated decision and stick with it.

Through this story I learned a few more things about this little box and I can say I am quite happy with it now. Not as fancy a GUI, but I know it inside out and it serves my purpose 100%. Don’t give up on yours just yet!