How to setup WD Mycloud?

Hi

I have just purchased my first WD Mycloud (4TB). Main use : one common place for my 2-3 computers store documents, pictures, movies, etc, … backup and possibly streaming (if possible) …?

The feedback from the netshop was not to great, but I thought “how hard can it be…”. Reading the feedback from this forum, I’m not sure if I dare to start :

• I have no experience with linux, I don’t want to use weeks troubleshooting in order to set it up……

- I’ve been struggling enough installing a 2nd harddrive (SSD+HDD) and converting from XP and tweaking w8.1 on my new computer (…and I’m not “all there yet” ….)

So …. would it be possible to make a “sticky note” , with the best tips on how to setup MyCloud (besides referring to the user manual… from which I understand doesn’t “tell it all”)

…or should I just give up and return the item and wait until the Synology box’es drops in price ? (which is not very likely … as they obviously have adopted the business mind set from Apple …) 

if you have not set it up yet, do not upgrade to the V4 firmware. I don’t recall if it asked to upgrade or just did it so for safety I would unplug the wan cable from the router during this phase. go into the UI / settings and disable automatic updates.

if you already upgraded I suggest trying this Easy Downgrade if you have any issues

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken… the WD MY Cloud comes with concierge service.  Call 1-855-556-5117 and Westen Digitals customer support team will help you set it up or even set it up for you if you allow them remote access.

Thanks for the input guys …

So :

1. Last “proven” FW : v03.04.01-230

2. Support : http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en&ct=personalcloud#europe

3. … what next  … what tweaks and workarounds are “required” for getting the Cloud to function ?

“required” is a relative term here, I would suggest disabling or lowering the priority of the photo scanning / indexing processed if you have a lot of photos.

This is a goog post on disabling the scanning, see work work arounds section

I have actualy changed mine to run at a lower priotiry and reenabled them, so far it seems good

I strongly suggest a backup of any file before changing it. this requires SSH access and putty or similier. proceed at your on risk. easy change if you ever used Linux / Unix

edit /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd and /etc//init.d/wdmcserverd  they had  renice 0 -p $$, change it to  renice 15 -p $$

if previously disabled do these 4 commands
update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd enable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd enable
/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd start
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd start

If not disabled do these 4
/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd start
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd start

See _ My Cloud│How it Works _.

http://content.webcollage.net/apps/cs/mini-site/bestbuy/module/wdc/wcpc/1380204748603/tab/demo-eebd01c1?enable-reporting=true&showtabs=&channel-product-id=1219079080973

Here is a link for the User Manual.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf 

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Before you try all the fancy workarounds, you might just want to set it up like the instructions call for and see how it goes. For some of us, it works very well that way…even with the new firmware. During the setup process (there is a setup program you run), it will ask you if you want to allow automatic backups… tell it no if you want to stay on the old firmware.

Watch the dashboard… let it do its thing until the lower right box says “Idle”… then start playing with it. It may take some time so be patient… 

If all else fails you can do a fctory reset and start over and apply all the tricks and work arounds.

The first time you load a bunch of file it may show “building” or “scanning” or even “error” for the first 24+ hrs, but, if it is like mine, it will eventually settle down and do ok.

Worth a try!!

davidrob, just curious approximatly how many photos you have on the MC? approximat size?

I have ~140k and several hundred GB

trying to get a feeling if there is a threshold to the issues or just the luck of the draw

Larryg0,

I think you are probably right about number of files. I have a much smaller situation.

I back up my iPhone to one public share… about 700 photos (2GB)

I use Windows FileHistory for my backup and it is about 100GB with 95,000 files. AS part of this backup there are probably well over 10,000 jpg’s that the WD MC will index and generate thumbnails for (photos from Desktop,album covers, graphics from various files and web pages, etc.

Even with my modest load, it took the first 24 hrs for all the scanning and building to finish… so I can only imagine what a significant time period would be required for your situation.