HDD waking up from sleep every hour

when you fix this bug. my hdd’s are waking up every few minutes. On OS4 everything was ok.

I’d like to add that I am also a suffering user and very much look forward to a fix for this issue.

New Firmware-Update available.
According to the changelog the standby problems should be solved.

Im testing Synology DS220+. Also not so happy with this device. Wait for your tests of new firmware.

First tests are positive.

Device went to standby really fast after upgrading and didn’t wake up again so far. My advice: everybody should install the new update

Thanks WD for fixing this. Transmission change is also a welcome upgrade.

even with 5.07.118 still awake every 20 mins

1 Like

I can confirm this issue has been resolved and HDD’s on my PR4100 have only woken up twice in a 24 hour period when I used them. There is a new issue though - CIFS: Authentication for user [nobody] has FAILED, doesn’t seem to have any visible effect, tried deleting and adding shares as KB article suggested but didn’t work, will research later how to fix this.

Still waiting for remote dashboard access to update my EX4100 without having to physically go over, which defeats the whole purpose of having a NAS.

I had this issue earlier on with a linux pc linked to my mycloud. I think it’s either because you haven’t defined your uid (mine is 500), username (mine is admin) or both. That or your trying to login anonymously and it won’t accept that.

Firstly ssh into your mycloud. Find your user uid by entering ‘id -u username’ (replace ‘username’ with the name of the owner of the share/‘Users’ inside of the wd html config page).

Here’s an example of how my fstab is looking:

//192.168.1.***/Public_1 /mnt/Public_1 cifs uid=500,username=admin,password=Kodetom79,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,nounix,x-gvfs-show 0 0

You can’t use ‘sshd’ or ‘root’ as a name inside of the fstab. Ofcause this is all on the host pc and only on linux. In Windows i usually just make a shortcut to the mycloud because i can never get the lan browser to work properly (//SERVER_IP/SHARE). If it asks use your username/password but if that don’t work anonymously.

The last problem of yours im not certain i understand (physically go over, is that even possible?) but be sure nasAdmin is running (‘nasAdmin.sh status’. type ‘nasAdmin.sh start’ to get it running). Also type in the correct ip. Having said this i just had the same issue. Maybe it locks you out while being logged in with ssh as a sort of safety messure?

Thanks, I’ll try tonight and see if authentication issue is resolved. I’m using Windows 10.

2nd issue is actually about dashboard access restricted to LAN in OS5. I’ve an EX4100 at my parents place but can’t do a firmware update (auto-update disabled). In OS3, I could login to dashboard remotely using public IP which doesn’t seem to work post OS5 update so if you know another way to do a firmware update remotely I would appreciate it.

I always just update through lan but if i should i would just remote desktop into windows. I use teamviewer. But again my mycloud is connected to a host pc.

I myself have been unable to firmware update from the main dashboard page (since the os5 update i think). So i have done it manually from a downloaded firmware file but not sure this option is active for myclouds without a pc connected.

There’s also a way to do it through ssh. Maybe this way is a bit outdated:

Old wd desktop download:

This as well: Download but not sure how it’s supposed to work.

Then there’s the standard option but im sure you have tried this already:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15866/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNjA3NjM4ODczL2dlbi8xNjA3NjM4ODczL3NpZC9mVWsyMjliQ1FqcXFpN3FhS0t6V0Y5ZCU3RWcxcjJKS1FDeTJySUdBNnhrR19GNkg3MGY3YSU3RTZrekhDRWJSVyU3RVZ6SUR5NTJzemN1bTFmN19kRmxfVXpFOE40THkyWktNRWNOdDFBc1IyUl9vbks5R3gzcWM2RCU3RVQ0QSUyMSUyMQ==

Try another browser maybe or refreshing the page. Portforwarding the modems/routers maybe but it’s not safe to do that on port 80/443 for (standard web browser port) for long i think. There’s Dockers and Entware apps as well.

Well that’s my 2 Cent anyway. :smiley:

After last updatei It still wake up… Dammed. :frowning:

Do you have Plex running? My Plex spews an error every hour to /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex Media Server/Logs/Plex Media Server.log which wakes up my system.

I’ve added the following two lines to the start of /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plexmediaserver/start.sh

umount /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs
mount -t tmpfs -o size=100m tmpfs /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs

which pushes the Plex logs out to RAM. (the umount is in case I stop and restart Plex, to clear the cache and start again)

Alternatively symlinking /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plex_conf/Plex Media Server/Logs to /var/log or somewhere similar might do the job.

1 Like

No Plex installed. I have only two apps:

• Twonky Server
  • TV/Media Device Drivers

Recenlty I even deleted all form cloud, format HDDs and initialized again. Still HDDs wake up. :confused:

@KMBak, have you tried the 5.07.118 firmware released this week? It has a fix on standby.

Device wakes up from sleep every hour : In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we have fixed the standby issue which in certain scenarios the device would wake up every hour

Like I said above. Last update installed. The problem is not solved for me.

Just a small correction from my earlier tweaks. ‘otaclient.sh stop’ disables the wd update service so start it again if you need it.

1 Like

If you can ssh into your server you can use atop to find out what woke up your hard disks at a particular time.

ssh in, then run

export TERM=xterm
atop -r /var/log/atop/atop_current

Then press shift-D (capital D) to sort by disk usage. Press b (lowercase) and in the middle of the screen you should see an “enter time” where you can enter the last time it woke up. You can then use t and T to cycle forwards and backwards one minute in time (see titlebar for time).

From there you should be able to see which process read from or wrote to the disk.

If all you have is Twonky and the TV drivers installed then I’d wonder if twonky is doing something.

If you want to find all files that have been recently modified then a neat command you can run is

find /mnt/HD/ -mmin -15 -printf "%TY-%Tm-%Td %TH:%TM:%TS %p\n" 

which will list all the files modified on the hard drives in the last 15 minutes.

3 Likes

I was really hoping to see his issue resolved but unfortunately after observing over a longer time disks still wake up several times a day with no usage though it’s not hourly. I executed below 3 times today and below is the result, there are no installed apps and except for this testing, system hasn’t been used in last 48 hours, indexing finished long back. Can someone please help me understand why WD is waking my disks to do something with index every couple of hours? Thanks or your help!

Below was the result:

/mnt/HD/HD_a2/restsdk-data/data/db/index.db
/mnt/HD/HD_a2/restsdk-data/data/db/index.db-wal
/mnt/HD/HD_a2/restsdk-data/data/db/index.db-shm

Edit: PR4100 is on the laest firmware released 2 days back

That would be the indexer.

I run restsdk.sh stop and then delete that directory. I don’t much care for the mobile app and its “enhancements” wasting space by creating duplicates of my entire media collection.

1 Like