HDD waking up from sleep every hour

@WDStaff Any idea when this issue will actually be fixed? We’re customers not your beta test crew that you keep shipping one bugged release after another and even then take a long time to do the basic fixes. Issue a mass recall or something similar if you just can’t continue to support one of your products so we can get the money and move to a brand which actually knows how to operate a NAS. Who’s responsible for the decrease in HDD life because of your shenanigans?

2 Likes

Latest update 5.07.118 did resolve the problem partially. Disks are not waking up as frequently as earlier but they do wake up 3-4 times like every 4 hours. But still much better than before.

WD still needs to improve on this and stop waking up drives unless its absolutely needed.

Yes. I confirm it. Sometimes it sleep for few hours. Sometimes wakes up like You said above. Very strange. On OS3 it wakes up only when accesed.

Funny thing is that Im testing Synology DS220+ now. Its better then MyCloud but sleep issue is simillar. Also well known this problem - users call it “magic voodoo” to find what is the cause of it. I discovered that some routers can wake up the NAS HDDs. But in our case (with MyCloud) the OS5 change the game.

@dswv42, @Shreyas,
Contact the WD Support team directly so someone can help & investigate the issue you are seeing. Thx.
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

@SBrown

Hello there,
Please help me to get the logs to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks

Mine still wakes up every 30-45min.

Without a (for an enduser) visible reason. No drive access, no network changes, indexing and thumbnails finished a while ago.

also another problem with sleep mode anyone else noticing unnormal noises?

Are there any problems that CANNOT be solved by disabling restsdk-server?

(That process is a real, real problem child)

@WDStaff I’m hoping your team has investigated this issue, any ETA on when this will actually be fixed and we can expect hard disks to not wake up randomly when not in use except for occasional maintenance as expected?

Even with 5.08.115 still awake every 20 mins

1 Like

It’s 2-3 hours between sleep/wake now (up from ~1 hour in last version), issue is earlier only HD0 (1st hard disk) was waking up, which I assumed was due to overeager logging, now all 4 hard disks keep waking up and then going back to sleep. I appreciate WD team is trying to resolve this issue with successive firmware updates. please collect more user logs and conduct more testing to ensure no more use cases of this remain.

Edit: I also noticed after latest firmware update that disks spin up when I open my PC (Windows 10), they’re just mounted as network volumes and I wasn’t even trying to access them. Earlier, only the disk with the specific volume being accessed would wake up and there was a 5 second hangup, now it seems all disks wake up right when opening my PC and are ready for use. Not sure if that’s what WD intended but I would prefer not waking up disks everytime due to disk longevity concerns, hope it helps.

I just checked the log. . . I don’t see that my unit is sleeping at all.
I just updated to 5.08.115 - - So; see what happens.

Remind me where to find an offline version of the log file? I imagine it is somewhere in the “system report” dump that the unit can produce. . . .but I am having trouble finding it amidst all the files.

I’m waiting for the annual sale to pick up a Synology as I use my drive for work and can’t afford any accidental downtime. I’ll probably upgrade back to OS3 based on your guide but this is a whole different game if you get thermals etc. in control and system is stable.

Hold Your horses. I’m testing Synology DS220+… There is also problem with HDD wakes up. Known issue on Synology forum too. :frowning:
Also device doesn’t stop FAN during HDD hibernation. Stock fan is terible trash. Lound with ticking sound. I change it for Arctic F9 Silent. Now it’s as it should.

For now - I cant say the Synology is perfect. It has many adventages over MyCloudEX2U but its not perfect. Also configuration is much more difficult then WD. Lot of options. After get know everything its ok.
But that HDD wakes up drive me crazy. :frowning:

I look forward to hearing more about your experience.

Two NAS units and two mice on the desk. . . .I like it.

(Looks around. . .seven mice; 4 PC’s, 3 monitors, 3 NAS boxes. … )

Yeah. . .same here.
With Covid, I have had to expand my home office with a few tables.

(since I now have some work related PC stuff permanently in my house)

(Fun Times)

{edited to remove extraneous information}

The WD NAS stuff is a hobby with me. . . . .although I really don’t do too much true experimentation.

I bought a bunch of stuff over the years geared towards “being mobile”; but the bottom line for 3-4 TB of data, the most effective solution I found was to just bring it all with me on a WD Passport portable drive.

I mean. . .if PLEX or a NAS crashes when I am on the other side of the planet (literally). . .what am I going to do? Also; internet access to my home network from a sketchy hotel in east Bum*uck. . .or worse yet on a plane somewhere over the Pacific. . . leaves something to be desired.

Let’s not talk about the upload speed provided by my ISP at home.

{edited to remove extraneous information}

1 Like

The issue still persists even after two latest updates. My ex2 Ultra waking up the hdds without reason. I have disabled a lot of features and it is still waking up hard discs. How long it will take to fix it? It is really annoying when I’m sleeping and hear hdd noise. On os4 there wasn’t any problem with hdd sleep.

@KMBak I see you have mx master 3 mouse. Do you have issues with this new magnetic scroll?

WD replied me on support ticked that is because cloud access. That’s all for me. Game over. On OS3 worked good. My data is coping to Synology. It wakes HDDs too but other things are light years better then WD. Disk temp (working all the time with changed to low-speed silent FAN are below 32C. In MyCloud close to 50!

WD’s customer service is pretty useless, just keep sending a bunch of standard responses. I wonder if the constant negative feedback from this forum ever reaches the engineering team. At least in last 2 firmware upgrades they’ve tried to address this issue still multiple users still experience this, including me. I’m also leaning towards getting a Synology soon even though my PR4100 is just 6 months old.