HDD waking up from sleep every hour

I’m not selling it, will keep it for backup which is a shame considering it’s pretty good hardware. Look forward to what you’re cooking.

Yes. . the customer (and forum) support does seem geared towards canned responses. It’s almost as if the engineers are told NOT to participate here. . . or more likely are all sub-contracted developers and as such cannot participate here due to legal implications.

I have toyed with trying something else. . . but to be honest; the units as they are DO fit my needs.
Eventually, I will want to get something with more capacity (12TB x 2); and given the cost of such a beast. . .I will likely wait a while.

My true needs are simple: Simple file repository and video media server.

I don’t trust backup software. . . I use a simple folder comparison/synchronizer tool for manual backups.

I don’t even need Plex (I find VLC works fine. . …even from my tablets); although each NAS has the Plex Server running. For music, I generally stream from an Ipod (using either my music or spotify). Only rarely do I stream from NAS to a PC using WMP.

1 Like

Glad you are getting an Ultra to help testing.
and Plus 1 for having a UPS but -1 as I see NO cat hair on that mouse pad :slight_smile:

Makes you wonder if WD NAS unit is composed only of suits now. They haven’t released any new product in half a decade and the only software overhaul they’ve done is all bungled up. They should just sell their business to Synology, hopefully we can salvage our purchase with DSM then.

Update 5.08.115 seems to have fixed this issue for me and I am seeing the disk waking only when required except a few times when nas is checking for update automatically at night and for a couple of other system tasks.

May I know who maintains these bintray and github repositories ?

Are these by WD officials ? These are trustworthy to install ?

These packages are all free open source installers by volunteers to open source code.
You can inspect everything that’s inside and you use them all at your own risk: we try our best to provide the latest greatest but nobody pays us to provide support or fix bugs, so we don’t owe you anything. It’s a community effort.

WD devs reached out to me with a request to maintain more packages, so they do appreciate the initiative.

2 Likes

Thank you. Just wanted to know in more details.

I tried Syncthing and it worked perfectly. Then I tried the docker image and it was redirecting me to myip:9000 where Twonky server is hosted. I probably need to search more, probably I am doing something wrong ?

Hi all after os 5 update ex2 ultra not going in sleep mode. After indexing. Generating preview dont end.
Sleep mode works good only if I disable cloud.
This is not what we expected from os5.
Os5 cloud use eating my hdd.
Please wd give option to rollback or make os 5 at least same as os3 specially sleep mode with cloude use.

1 Like

I have the same issue with My Cloud EX2 Ultra. The drives turn off and on about 2/3 times every hour. In the latest firmware release log (5.08.115) it was written that the problem of random disk wake up had been fixed, but the problem still seems to be present.
The problem started after the update to OS 5, before it and with the same settings the NAS never woke up except for real necessity.
Anyone have any solution about it?

Well, last 2 firmware updates have claimed to fix this issue and while it has definitely become better, it’s not been resolved. I’m not sure WD is keen to resolve this if it means fewer hard disk purchases on account of longevity. Can someone from WD please update when will this issue be actually resolved, maybe third time’s a charm?

Waking up the NAS to decrease HDD life doesn’t seem a great tactic for WD. In my opinion it’s just a bug.
I tried to disable Cloud access but the problem persists. The only active service I have is Time Machine for Mac.
The next test I will do will be initializing the NAS settings and disabling all services, with OS3 it had worked, but I doubt this is a similar problem this time.

I agree its not a great tactic, but when you factor in devices like the EX2 Ultra and PR4100 allow the hard drives to go above 50c before changing the fan speed you have to wonder, given how higher temperatures impact reliability and longevity.

Yes you are right. Let’s try to wait for an update from WD.
I hope it arrives quickly or in my case I will be forced to look for a different NAS for my HDDs.

I prefere to use

/etc/init.d/S20wdtmsd restart

instead the lines with wdtms

You are right, but I always try to use existing things because I’m lazy. :wink: The result is the same.

Interesting solution to put the commands in the init.sh scripts of the apps. Why in all apps? Will init.sh be overwritten by app updates?

Ok, thank you.

If somebody plays with the parameters, here some commands to display temperatures and disk states:

alias ll=“ls -la”
alias smart=‘for i in /dev/sd?; do echo $i:;smartctl -A $i; done’
alias disksleep=“hdparm -Y /dev/sd?”
alias diskstate=‘for i in /dev/sd?; do echo -n "$i: ";echo -n `smartctl -A $i|grep ^194|tr -s " "|cut -d " " -f 10-12`; hdparm -C $i|grep drive|cut -d : -f 2;done’
alias t=“diskstate;fan_control -g 0|grep -v ^hd|grep -v ‘CPU[0-4] temp’;fan_control -g 4”

I put it in the file alias in /home/root. The command t displays the values:

root@NAS4 nas-files # t
/dev/sda: 35 (Min/Max 22/58) active/idle
/dev/sdb: 37 (Min/Max 21/49) active/idle
/dev/sdc: 37 (Min/Max 17/54) active/idle
Current temperature is 34
CPU temperature=37
fan rpm = 810

Correct, but the used option -C should be safe. My command disksleep (not used by my command t) uses -Y, hopefully safe, too.

@WDStaff Any plans to solve this with a firmware update? I’ve disabled cloud access and there are no apps installed, still the system keeps waking up all drives repeatedly without being used.

1 Like

Bump, @WDStaff any response before my disks are fried out from constant sleep-wake cycles? Turning off indexing has helped but not completely (like it was for OS3).