[GUIDE] Upgrade a working My Cloud to a bigger HDD (easy steps)

None of the methods worked for me. I’m desperate.

When I tried the suggested cloning and jump from after step 18 to step 27, as always, it begins as if I had done a 40 seconds reset, asking for all info. Newly, it asked about format (JBOD only) and then, just after 0% start, it blinks red and again I need to clone, etc …

When tried Bennor suggested methods, it ends when about 7% or 10% formatted, but again for nothing, cause despite light is blue, it never ends. As a note, I must say that the “USB boot” method, seems to boot, but it doesn’t connect to my network (my router DHCP doesn’t show it connected) so I did the process from my Linux without issues, till I assemble again my NAS, boot, configure and when the formatting begins, is stucked even at 20% as I wrote.

I don’t know what more to do. Is this method working for users like me using latest My Cloud OS 5 update?

I know you said it was a “new drive” but have you checked the drive for errors? Have you tried partitioning and formatting the drive in another computer?

When doing the unbrick method user Fox_exe put together make sure to follow it exactly adjusting for the hard drive location (sda or sdb or sdc, etc.). Particularly the section(s) where you create the partitions. Do not adjust mkpart values for any reason.

There are two methods of unbricking in Fox’s directions, try each of them. Sometimes one may have to perform the unbrick procedure more than once to get it to stick and work right.

If the unbrick works and you are into the v2.x firmware, do not upgrade to the OS5 firmware if that is what you have been doing. Get the unit working under the v2.x firmware before updating to the OS5 firmware.

I upgrade my 2TB to 8TB got the same problem. I follow the intrustion. After use Clonezilla to clone hard drive, my hard disk gets different partition. I use Gparted to resize sdb2 not sdb4 as intrustion. When I turn it on, it ask me to change RAID to JBOD to. I got no problem to change to JBOD. After format ext4 it work great.

1 Like

I needed time to check, as you advised me, my 4TB brand new WD HD. I formatted it first from Windows to NTFS without quick format. It took some hours, but no issues. Then I use “badblocks” from Linux to check again my 4TB HD. It took about 8 hours and, again, no issues (0/0/0 errors).

About the unbrick method, when booting from USB, I didn’t upgraded firmware. Simply, I CAN’T reach my NAS despite its LED is blinking yellow/red, so it’s booting from USB. I can see its IP in DHCP but curiously has not hostname (unknow). It answers to PING, but not to web browser access or telnet (“Connection refused”) access. So I did all steps with my hard disk plugged to my external dock.

So I am still at the point of giving up.

Please, any other suggestion?

Thank you

You are lucky!!! :frowning:

Which unbrick method are you using? The Foxe_exe method has two different ways to unbrick. In the second (Alternative way) method one removes/extracts/shucks the My Cloud hard drive from it’s enclosure, connects it to a computer running Linux and using the command line terminal one (erase any existing partitions) create new partitions exactly as detailed not changing any of the values and then makes the swap partition on the first partition and formats the third partition to EXT4. The rest of the Alternative way steps then install the original WD recovery which should let one get to the recovery screen with a web browser where one can flash the v2.x firmware to their second gen single bay My Cloud.

I tried both methods. With first method (with HD inside NAS enclosure) I can’t reach my NAS (despite I know IP assigned by my router) as I wrote in previous reply. With the second one (extract HD and follow steps from my Linux) happens like always (I wrote it here too): Formatting never ends and there is not a exact point where it doesn’t end, simply LED remains blue forever and percentage doesn’t advance :frowning:
I’m just to try with an old 2TB disk, clone and see what happens.

UPDATE: I cloned 2TB NAS HD to 2TB old HD. After put this old HD in NAS enclosure, it asked about to format to JBOD (as always). I don’t understand why it ask me to do that, if it’s a clone of a totally functional and working original HD!!! Anyway, I began process and finally it reached 100% of formating this old HD. All went well and I got a “new” working NAS.

Now, I’m cloning this cloned 2TB (data empty) HD to my brand new 4TB HD, to see what happen after reboot with it.

RESULT: After clone to 4TB, fix GPT issue and resize partition, the same than always: This time, it stuck at 2% (there is no a exact percentage, so if when formatting, but not a physical error in disk).

I really can’t help much, but I just want to understand why are you formatting your partition?

You just need to clone and expand. At least with firmware v.04

Really don’t know how firmware v05 works.

No, I do not “voluntarily” format the partition. It is done by the MyCloud software (as I explain in the steps that you ALWAYS have to follow after cloning the disk and inserting it into the NAS box). It is the last step of the process (see screenshots). If it is not done, you will not be able to use the hard disk.

They are trying to do a second gen v2.xfirmware single bay My Cloud. The v2.x firmware is different than the older v4.x firmware that the first gen single bay My Cloud uses. The initial OP of this thread had a first gen so their clone directions are for that model. The problem rafael.linux.user is experiencing is the second gen firmware (in the Dashboard) wants to format the drive after they cloned it.

Which firmware version are you using when doing the USB boot method? Are you jumping immediately to v5.x firmware? Or are you using the 2.41.121 firmware? Are you downloading the firmware for the second gen right from WD’s website for the single bay My Cloud: https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/126

Version: Firmware Release 2.41.121 (11/17/2021): https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_GLCR_2.41.121.bin

Yes, you have reason. It’s a 2nd gen MyCloud and I tried always steps for it. But the really strange thing is that it worked if I clone original 2TB to another 2TB, but not to a completely HEALTHY 4TB HD (in all cases, dashboard needs to finally format HD).

While trying USB method, I don’t try to upgrade/update nothing, cause when booting from USB, there is no way to connect to my NAS (I wrote all that experience about it in previous post in this thread).

But is it the v2.x firmware that is telling you to format the drive, or the v5.x firmware that is telling you to format the drive?

You seem to be experiencing issues I don’t recall anyone else having with the single bay first or second gen model. Needing to format a v2.x single bay My Cloud through the single bay My Cloud Dashboard after changing out the drive with a new one. Most seem to just have to do a system factory restore through the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings, or a 40 second reset, after the unbrick or clone when they first enter the My Cloud Dashboard. The v2.x single bay My Cloud user manual makes no mention of RAID or JOBD or formatting the internal hard drive. (https://products.wdc.com/library/?id=439&type=25&cn=4779-705147&lang=en)

Not sure it was ever asked or stated but what is the brand/model of the new hard drive you are attempting to use? Was it shucked from an external USB hard drive enclosure.

I’ll resume and I’ll answer your questions:

• Mine is a 2nd gen 2TB MyCloud NAS with the latest firmware version
  • I want to change my NAS 2TB HD to a new and healthy WD 4TB HD
  • Cloning to an old 2TB HD and booting with it, I can access to dashboard, and dashboard ask me about to change to JBOB. No way to have my NAS working if I do not follow that process. Process ends with my NAS working fully with that old 2TB HD cloned from original 2TB NAS and fomated to JBOD by dashboard
  • Cloning to a checked brand new WD 4TB HD and booting with it (or even fixing GPT and resizing partition), I can access to dashboard, just like with old 2TB HD, but despite one of the steps is “checking HD” that ends without fails (reach 100% check), the last step (format) never ends. Sometimes is at 0%, sometines at 20% … no constant percentage. LED is BLUE, % progress is stucked and no sound from HD. I switch off and switch on my NAS and finally, LED is blinking RED. No way.
  • Booting from USB never let me reach my NAS (PLEASE, READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS)
  • I’ve tried so many different ways, I can’t remember if I’ve tried the “Clone - Install cloned disk - Boot with 40 second reset” method, although I could have sworn I’ve tried that too. I’ll try one more time doing exactly that and update the result here.

Thank you

Because there is so much discussion information from prior posts information can get lost or forgotten by those who are reading this. Just to clarify as I don’t see or may have missed you mentioning it. What is the specific firmware version of the old My Cloud drive before cloning it?

Digging through old discussions (and user Fox_exe’s directions) bring up this this post:

That person seems to have a similar problem where the My Cloud Dashboard formatting fails after they tried replacing their v2.x firmware single bay My Cloud hard drive. Not sure, after reading it several times, if I understand exactly how they fixed it. They seem to suggest, when using the Fox_exe directions, they had to format all but the swap partition (usually /dev/sdb1) to EXT4 before pushing the files as indicated by Fox’s unbrick method to the drive. Perhaps one suggestion is the following. After cloning the old drive to the new one, open the new drive using Linux or Gparted. Then use Gparted to expand the user data partition (usually /dev/sdb3) so it uses all the rest of the unused drive space and reformat the user data partition (usually /dev/sdb3) to EXT4. Then see if the My Cloud Dashboard can finish the formatting to JOBD if it asks to format the drive.

Edit to add: Another possible suggestion. After cloning the drive, upon first boot, bypass partitioning the drive if you can and instead go the the Dashboard > Settings and do a System Only Restore and see if that helps fix anything.

Before I comment on the results of my latest tests, something very interesting that emerges from the information I have gathered below. All this data obtained by lsblk -fm after extracting respective HD from enclosure:

sdj (ORIGINAL 2TB)                                 1,8T
├─sdj1      linux_rai 1.2   WDNAS:0                  2G
├─sdj2      ext4      1.0                          1,8T
├─sdj3      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdj4      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdj5      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdj6      ext4      1.0                            2G
└─sdj7      ext4      1.0                            1G

sdk (CLONED AND FORMATED BY DASHBOARD - WORKING)   1,8T
├─sdk1      linux_rai 1.0   WDNAS:0                  2G
├─sdk2      ext4      1.0                          1,8T
├─sdk3      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdk4      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdk5      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdk6      ext4      1.0                            2G
└─sdk7      ext4      1.0                            1G

sdi (CLONED and formated by DASHBOARD till NN%)    3,6T
├─sdi1      linux_rai 1.0   WDMyCloud:0              2G
├─sdi2      ext4      1.0                          3,6T
├─sdi3                                               1G
├─sdi4      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdi5      ext4      1.0                            1G
├─sdi6      ext4      1.0                            2G
└─sdi7      ext4      1.0                            1G
  • MyCloud OS 5 data partition currently is sdX2 (instead sdX3, that should be in previous versions)
  • Maybe “raid version 1.0” identifies JBOD RAID and “raid version 1.2” identifies RAID 0

My last try was (as suggested previously):

1. Clone to 4TB
  2. Connect cloned HD to NAS
  3. Press reset button, connect to power and wait 40 seconds

Result: The only thing that changed is that , before asking to format to JBOB, it ask all things about configuration, as language, password , timezone … and finally to format to JBOD (I saw that before in one of my attempts). An additional note: Even if you don’t extend data partition, MyCloud OS recognizes and use those gigabytes.

Need a rest before trying more things or give up :frowning:

Done all the steps as detailed in OP. MyCloud powers on and after 15 mins still no blue light. NO sign of mycloud in Router’s status page.

I tried all suggested ways to get my 4TB cloned HD to work (except " Unbricking WD Mycloud gen 2. SOLVED!"). In the meantime, it occurred to me to look at what errors appear in the MyCloud console (with dmesg) when the dashboard is in the process of formatting, and these are the lines just before and while formatting process is happening …

[Thu Jan  6 19:12:51 2022] kill_running_process ...
[Thu Jan  6 19:12:52 2022] nfsd: last server has exited, flushing export cache
[Thu Jan  6 19:12:57 2022] kill_running_process done.

[Thu Jan  6 19:12:59 2022] md0: detected capacity change from 2144337920 to 0
[Thu Jan  6 19:12:59 2022] md: md0 stopped.
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:10 2022] md/raid1:md0: active with 1 out of 2 mirrors
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:10 2022] md0: detected capacity change from 0 to 2147418112
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:11 2022]  md0: p1 p2
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:13 2022] EXT4-fs (md0p1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:13 2022] Adding 1532840k swap on /dev/md0p2.  Priority:-2 extents:1 across:1532840k 
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:23 2022] SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:23 2022] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x558660
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:23 2022] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [558660]
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:23 2022] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 558660, size 8d54
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:23 2022] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [558660]
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:23 2022] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 558660, size 8d54
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:25 2022] SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:25 2022] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x95488a8
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:25 2022] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [95488a8]
[Thu Jan  6 19:13:25 2022] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 95488a8, size 8ba8

And those errors will continue until system hangs. Any idea?