I have used wdmc gen2 3TB for year and half. And im trying to turn it to Debian Clean OS by follow fox-exe’s tutorial. And it’s success. Few days after im decide to uninstall OMV. And it’s makes my WDMC turn brick. It just shows blinking red light. can’t telnet and can’t access SSH too.
I thoughts it’s not a big deal. and im teardown WDMC and link this hard drive to my computer. and repart everything via linux terminal. 1GB sda1 for swap, 20GB sda3 for rootfs, sda2 for all rest space (actually this hard drive shows on my computer sdb anyway).
> parted /dev/sdb > rm 1 > rm 2 > rm 3 > mkpart primary 0% 1G > mkpart primary 21G 100% > mkpart primary 1G 21G > q > mkfs.swap sdb1 > mkfs.ext4 sdb2 > mkfs.ext4 sdb3
Unpack jessie-rootfs.tar.gz to sdb3. and places uImage and uRamdisk into /boot/. I think this is no problem. because what fox-exe debian tutorial does is just like this. But im FAIL. it blinking red light agian. Im start thinking maybe sdb3 must be 4G? And i did repart. and FAIL again.
After lot of research. I decide to unbrick official way. following _Unbricking_en.txt. And this time router finally shows WD Mycloud. and access web GUI. But when i upload firmware(.bin file) it stucks on 0% forever. press F12 shows error that:
system_mgr.cgi:1:1 XML Parsing Error: no root element found Location: http://192.168.1.139/cgi-bin/system_mgr.cgi Line Number 1, Column 1:
I just don’t know what i am doing wrong. i found some of people faced problems like me. And they are not solve these problems too (at least threads shows they are not). did anyone faced problems recently like me ? did u solve this ? How ? please leave a comment. let us figure it out.
Suddently i found images of WD Mycloud’s parts. and do recover via linux. PROBLEM NAILD! Just remember if you stuck on 0% while uploading firmware. Just do this:
First. make parts following commands.
#change the sdB for the letter of your disk. Ex sdA,sdB,sdC… (List disks in system: “parted -l”)
parted /dev/sdb mklabel gpt mkpart primary 1049kB 2149MB mkpart primary 8591MB -1MB mkpart primary 7517MB 8591MB mkpart primary 2149MB 3222MB mkpart primary 3222MB 4296MB mkpart primary 4296MB 6443MB mkpart primary 6443MB 7517MB q mkswap /dev/sdb1 mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb2
And doing recover from Images of this: Oops!.
apt install gem gem install yadisk mkdir /mnt/tmp mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp cd /mnt/tmp yadisk https://yadi.sk/d/J9iDSf4TqQeZ4 unzip WD.zip
#change the “/mnt/tmp/” for the path to your files
dd if=/mnt/tmp/sdb3.img of=/dev/sdb3 dd if=/mnt/tmp/sdb4.img of=/dev/sdb4 dd if=/mnt/tmp/sdb5.img of=/dev/sdb5 dd if=/mnt/tmp/sdb6.img of=/dev/sdb6 dd if=/mnt/tmp/sdb7.img of=/dev/sdb7
That’s all ! It works. it bring my WDMC alive! And now i need to figure out how the clean debian bricked my WDMC and why the heck can’t recover the way of fox-exe.
And sorry for my excellent english. LOL