[GUIDE] Upgrade a working My Cloud to a bigger HDD (easy steps)

I have finally managed to install and run the 4TB disk that replaces the 2TB disk I had, but before I discuss which method worked for me, my personal warning: The method relies on a previous disk image that could very well contain malware, as it incorporates easily modifiable scripts among the many contained in the original software. That is, I used this method because my hard disk does not contain sensitive information or personal data, only multimedia files that are available on the Internet. Besides, my LAN is made up of Linux computers and each of them is protected, I do not share using SAMBA, so I am not too concerned about the security issue, except for the fact that my MyCloud account data DOES have to be provided to the software of these images of “unknown” origin.

That said, the method I have followed is the one mentioned in this thread “Unbricking WD Mycloud gen 2. SOLVED!”. although after so many tests, I don’t remember if I formatted both sdX2 and sdX3 or just sdX2.

The system booted up, formatted the hard drive (to JBOD, of course) in just 2 seconds (I was amazed) and then allowed me to upgrade to MyCloud OS 5 without any problems.

I thank EVERYONE who has been listening to my questions and answering them, because thanks to them I can finally continue to enjoy my NAS.

Thank you very much!!!

1 Like