Getting about 230mbps when copying from my PC hard drive to the My Cloud drive via router, is this slow or fast?

My PC and the My Cloud drive are both connected to the same router’s gigabit ethernet ports via C5e ethernet cables.

When I copy stuff from my PC’s hard drive(1TB SSD) to the My Cloud drive, my speed meter programs shows speed of about 230mbps.

Is that fast or slow or about normal?

Thanks!

230mbps is about 29MBps… Which is not bad. However, too many factors to consider. All networks are different. Read the following for a better explanation. If you have newer hardware and SSDs could be faster but again, too many factors to consider.

Carla, this is extremely fast, so I’d say your not getting the true indicated speed which can be observed if a 1GB file or larger is transferred from a PC to a NAS. This is indicated by Windows showing a window of the file transfer taking place, and by clicking to show more details in that window. A small audio or photo file happens fast and windows has trouble computing the speed.

Whereas, on my top of line My Cloud DL2100 (one of the fastest NAS WD makes today) shows a transfer taking place at the advertised spec of the device: 115MB/s. I get around 113 MB/sec average, not too far off the spec.

Here is what WD says about their fastest NAS from the product description, and notice the conditions of the test, too.

"Powered by a high-performance Intel® Atom™ C2350 dual-core processor and 1 GB DDR3 memory, My Cloud DL2100 delivers optimal multi-user and multi-application performance your business needs to maximize productivity. Ultra-fast read and write speeds of 115 MB/s and 101 MB/s give your business the power to transfer large amounts of files simultaneously, enhancing workplace efficiency.

Gigabit Ethernet Testing environment based on Dell Optiplex 9020 (SFF) with Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM running Windows 8.1 Pro using an Intel X540-T2 10G Ethernet connection. Performance may vary based on different hardware / software configurations as well as network load during testing."

I think you need to reevaluate your testing methods. There is no way you are getting 230MB/s speed with a sustained file transfer of a large file. This speed is not possible with a basis My Cloud – or even the fasted My Cloud.

Edit: was written before the first reply, but was sent afterwards.

My read speed is over 100MB/s, and my write speed is in the 90s.

As indicated above there are many factors that affect read/write speed to a My Cloud.

230mbps (Megabits) is approximately 28.75 MBps (Megabytes). The better way to test is to use a hard drive testing program like Crystal Disk Mark (http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html) and run several tests.

See the following thread where others have posted some results of their tests with CrystalDiskMark with several My Cloud devices.

https://community.wd.com/t/new-release-firmware-release-04-04-02-105-1-27-2016/148441/89

https://community.wd.com/t/performance-benchmark-results/151741

For the My Cloud that I use, with a replaced hard drive (Seagate 1T) here are my results from a Gigabit wired PC (older Asus motherboard with a 64GB SSD hard drive). Note that the My Cloud unit I use initially came with a 4T WD Red 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB hard drive that got damaged, and was replaced with a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive.

Edit to add: And to show how network speed is a factor, here is the results from a laptop with a wired 100MBps connecton to the My Cloud.