Performance Benchmark Results

I’ve been having performance issues on my WDMyCloud lately, due to my recent upgrade to the latest firmware. I’ve found many articles online, showing performance results from e.g. CrystalDiskMark etc. I found it to be quite useful as this gives me something to compare my WDMyCloud against. I’ve also found a few posts on this forum regarding performance results, but it’s all over the place.

I thought it’ll be a good idea if we can compile all the various results from different users into one post. The format will be something like this:

• Router Model (please clarify if you’re using a gigabit connection or not)
  • Ethernet cable type (Cat5e or Cat6, etc)
  • Windows/MAC version

MyCloud specifics:

• firmware version

• Any tweaks applied? E.g. caching/content scanning disabled, DLNA/Twonky disabled, Netalk or iPV6 disabled, etc

• Is Content Scanning idle during your tests? Does your MyCloud constantly overheat? Does it go to sleep correctly?

• Using SMB? FTP (did you test it internally? Or did you test it via DDNS from an external network?), Remote Access or any other methods?

• What are the read/write speeds for each test and what is the size of the file being transferred?

• CrystalDiskMark results?

• Have you tried different Ethernet cables? What about routers or switches?

• Have you tried connecting directly to WDMyCloud from your PC/laptop, i.e without going through any intermediaries? What are the performance results?

For those interested in my own stats, please refer to here:

I think I’ve explained everything in a lot of detail, with screenshots and everything. Hopefully this helps you guys.

1 Like

My Cloud (RMA’d with My Cloud Mirror Gen 2)

• 04.04.01-112
  • Cannot confirm other services disabled. I did have numerous issues with content scanning and rebuilding the content database due to failures with WD Sync.
  • Gigabit via Netgear Wireless-N router and the desktop is wired gigabit too.
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Using the same router I achieve much better performance with the replacement My Cloud Mirror Gen 2. The numbers for MCMg2 is just for reference. They were conducted one after the other.

My Cloud 4TB

My Cloud Mirror 8TB Gen 2

Some stats from a Gen 1 My Cloud with a replaced hard drive.

Computer: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Computer Hard Drive: Kingspec 64GB SSD
Connection: 1GB Ethernet to Arris NVG589 router.
Router: Frontier Arris NVG589
My Cloud Firmware: v04.04.02-105
My Cloud Connection: Ethernet to Arris NVG589 router.
My Cloud Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Testing the speed of the My Cloud internally via SSH (write/read):

# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   510 MB in  2.00 seconds = 254.95 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 338 MB in  3.08 seconds = 109.77 MB/sec

# dd if=/dev/zero of=./largefile bs=8k count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
81920000 bytes (82 MB) copied, 1.12112 s, 73.1 MB/s

# dd if=./largefile of=/dev/null bs=8k
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
81920000 bytes (82 MB) copied, 0.948221 s, 86.4 MB/s

Computer: Toshiba P755 S5393
Computer Hard Drive: Toshiba MK7575GSX 750GB
Connection: 100MB Ethernet through Belkin N300 router configured as switch connected to Arris NVG589 router.
My Cloud Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Notes: Have the following items in the My Cloud S98user-start file to deal with sleep issues:

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
/etc/init.d/twonky stop
cp /DataVolume/shares/xxxx/WD My Cloud/OS Backup Files/contentdir /etc/contentdir
cp /DataVolume/shares/xxxx/WD My Cloud/OS Backup Files/twonkyserver.ini /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini
/etc/init.d/twonky start
/etc/rc2.d/S20restsdk-serverd stop
mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /dev/root /

Some testing of a Toshiba Canvio 1T USB 3.0 drive connected to the USB port of the Gen 1 My Cloud.

Computer: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Connection: 1GB Ethernet to Arris NVG589 router.

For comparison’s sake, the same Toshiba Canvio 1T USB 3.0 drive connected to the USB 3.0 port of a Toshiba P755 S5393 laptop.